Driver account suspended question (CDL related)

Mstromberg

I have driven for Uber for 2 years and done over 1000 rides. My driver ratings is 4.98. Anyway, I was just notified that my UBER Driving account was suspended for CDLWTHDRN EXPMEC coming back in my Checker driving report.
Some history- I got a CDL for a job I was interested in 5-6 years ago. I didn’t end up taking the job and therefore didn’t renew my CDL the following year. My CDL was not suspended or revoked, but I chose not to renew it. This designation above is not a strike on my record, but rather the official status of my CDL.

My normal driver classification is active and in good standing and blemish free. Does anyone know why I can’t drive all of a sudden? Uber does not require a CDL and I am not sure why they would care if I chose not to renew mine?again, the mark is not a blemish, rather a status.

I have spoken extensively with the Montana DMV who says there is no reason I should not be able to drive. My license is active and in good standing. I have spoken extensively with Check’r who insists that they Report what is on my record and since the DMV has it listed it gets reported. Uber seems to be clueless to everything and keeps referring me back to Checkr...

Any help will be greatly appreciated?

CJfrom619

Im assuming they don’t have any green hubs in Montana. I know when I have a immediate issue that needs resolving that is my best option. Calling support is gonna be no better then the emails but since you’ve been driving for a year I’m sure you already knew this.

Mstromberg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im assuming they don’t have any green hubs in Montana. I know when I have a immediate issue that needs resolving that is my best option. Calling support is gonna be no better then the emails but since you’ve been driving for a year I’m sure you already knew this.
Thanks for the reply. I am not aware of green hubs but I will check that out.

justaGoober

Interesting....I’m in a similar situation. I’ve had my Class A CDL for the last 25 years, but haven’t driven a truck for the last 24.5 years. In fact I never did drive a truck that required the Class A. I ended up leaving the company before I needed it. I keep getting my DOT physical periodically just to hang on to it, thinking it may come in handy when I retire from my full time job in a few years. Next month a physical is due again and I’m debating weather or not to keep it. Your situation may have pushed me toward doing it, just to avoid a potential problem with Uber.

Trafficat

I have driven for Uber for 2 years and done over 1000 rides. My driver ratings is 4.98. Anyway, I was just notified that my UBER Driving account was suspended for CDLWTHDRN EXPMEC coming back in my Checker driving report.
Some history- I got a CDL for a job I was interested in 5-6 years ago. I didn’t end up taking the job and therefore didn’t renew my CDL the following year. My CDL was not suspended or revoked, but I chose not to renew it. This designation above is not a strike on my record, but rather the official status of my CDL.

My normal driver classification is active and in good standing and blemish free. Does anyone know why I can’t drive all of a sudden? Uber does not require a CDL and I am not sure why they would care if I chose not to renew mine?again, the mark is not a blemish, rather a status.

I have spoken extensively with the Montana DMV who says there is no reason I should not be able to drive. My license is active and in good standing. I have spoken extensively with Check’r who insists that they Report what is on my record and since the DMV has it listed it gets reported. Uber seems to be clueless to everything and keeps referring me back to Checkr...

The algorithm determined that the Chekr report indicated a disqualifying event. We have looked at the Chekr report and confirmed the report.

As a result, your account has been permanently suspended.

Sincerely,

Rohit

Not that can help with your question but how’s business in Montana. I’ll be moving back to Billings in a couple months and be transferring my Uber to drive while I look for a new job. Atlanta is gotta a lot more riders and drivers so makes me curious how I’ll do back home

Sciphy

I am going through the same thing right now. After talking to the commercial drivers department in Helena I have been told that I can petition the district court to have it removed from my driving record for $120. I will update you if it works

Ignatz

I think they, and I find it implausible that you’d go through the
CDL studies
expense
physical examination, medical certificate
drug test
classroom time and
on road testing
?then walk away at renewal time.
whether u use the license or not u made an investment and it’s a “credential”.

Last edited:

SinTaxERROR

The issue here is that you failed to renew your “medical certification” and the state that licensed your CDL suspended the CDL portion of your driving privileges which has generated that message on your abstract.

If you are actually still in possession of your CDL license, you will have to turn that license in to DMV to get it converted to a regular non CDL license. Once you obtain your non CDL license that error message should be suppressed and not appear on your abstract.

Uber is probably interpreting that message as having no driver license. Your only solution to resolve this is may be to bring a certified copy of your driver abstract to a GLH.

Sciphy

The issue here is that you failed to renew your “medical certification” and the state that licensed your CDL suspended the CDL portion of your driving privileges which has generated that message on your abstract.

If you are actually still in possession of your CDL license, you will have to turn that license in to DMV to get it converted to a regular non CDL license. Once you obtain your non CDL license that error message should be suppressed and not appear on your abstract.

Uber is probably interpreting that message as having no driver license. Your only solution to resolve this is may be to bring a certified copy of your driver abstract to a GLH.

Mine happened because my cdl school did not check that the fax went through when sending in the final copy of my medical certification. When I found out, I immediately took it in and got everything smoothed over.

I have had my CDL consistently since then with no problems, but now ,Uber suspended my account because the state of montana lists it as CDLWTHDRN EXPMEC without any context. So even though it was only downgraded to a Class D instead of a Class A for a short while (when I was still looking for work and not actually driving commercially). I have tried to contact uber and Checkr and they both say that even with a statement from the DMV that it was not a suspension or revocation, that there is nothing they can do.

Also, I am a city bus driver and drive Uber in my spare time for extra income.

SinTaxERROR

First thing I would do is a obtain a copy of your certified driver abstract from the DMV in your licensing state.

Only then, will you know for sure what is on your driver abstract, and then be able to proceed from there.

Uber’s Phone and email support will be useless in this situation. Only a GLH will be able to help.

Chekr is not necessarily obtaining correct information from the DMV directly and may be obtaining info from databases that are not updated in timely manner.

They may use lexisnexus, knowx, accurint, clue, and others.

Regrettably, the DMV uses ambiguous language when reporting certain statuses. Chekr is simply relaying what is printed on your DMV report, but unfortunately for all of us the Rohits over at Uber have a terrible grasp on the English language, and DMV's use of unclear language only serves to further compound the effort to communicate effectively regarding your status.

Sciphy

First thing I would do is a obtain a copy of your certified driver abstract from the DMV in your licensing state.

Only then, will you know for sure what is on your driver abstract, and then be able to proceed from there.

Uber’s Phone and email support will be useless in this situation. Only a GLH will be able to help.

Chekr is not necessarily obtaining correct information from the DMV directly and may be obtaining info from databases that are not updated in timely manner.

They may use lexisnexus, knowx, accurint, clue, and others.
I have the certified copy of my record, I have tried talking to uber customer service by email and phone. I even have a statement from the DMV that it was not a suspension or anything other than a temporary downgrade to a class D. Was basically told that it was someone elses fault and that I should contact the DMV/Checkr/Uber because it is obviously a problem in their system.

There is no green light hub within an 8 hour drive of where I live. And I heard back from the courts today that I would have to hire an attorney to get it removed from my record.

RightTurnOnRed

Dump the cdl endorsement. Get a regular license and you will pass the checkr drivers license part of your background check. Or you can go get a medical check-up done. It's one or the other. Good luck.

Sciphy

Dump the cdl endorsement. Get a regular license and you will pass the checkr drivers license part of your background check. Or you can go get a medical check-up done. It's one or the other. Good luck.
I have the current meds certification. And a valid class A with passenger endorsement and I work as a city bus driver. My record is clean except for the record of the downgrade that happened in 2016 (and was resolved quickly) but montana keeps that on the record no matter what. They insist that it is listed informational only and is not meant to indicate a problem on my record.

RightTurnOnRed

I have the current meds certification. And a valid class A with passenger endorsement and I work as a city bus driver. My record is clean except for the record of the downgrade that happened in 2016 (and was resolved quickly) but montana keeps that on the record no matter what. They insist that it is listed informational only and is not meant to indicate a problem on my record.
The OP did not mention if his CDL is intrastate or interstate. If the CDL is interstate, he could have simply self certify the MEC to maintain his cdl. It may still be possible to get that done via fax or email. So, as for his current CDL status. Since the MEC is expired. His CDL has been downgraded to a class D base license as required by state law. He can confirm that by going to Montana"s DMV 24 online access to check his current status.
Furthermore, the OP has not stated exactly when his MEC expired. That's important info because if it expired recently, that would explain why he has passed checkr's previous DMV background checks. Think of this situation from a risk management point of view. Although he has a spotless and valid driver's license, there is an issue with the status of the CLASS of license that was issued. With the issue being the MEC part of the cdl being expired. Checkr has no way of knowing exactly why a critical component of the DL has expired. For example, did the OP fail the vision test ? They have little to no info to make an informed decision, so the result is [Uber] account suspension.
The absolute fastest way to get back on line with Uber is to go DMV and get a regular class d license issued, then send a copy to checkr. The problem with that scenario is that the CDL endorsement is closed out.

Last edited:

Az2ZeJ

I see this sort of thing all the time at the insurance factory. (I work at a call center for a major car insurance company where I sell insurance to people in 30 states all day by phone)

I see this frequently with former CDL holders in WI... (MT possibly does it the same way) It’ll show on the MVR the CDL status first (invalid, surrendered, etc...) and the computer will stop there and think: invalid, surrendered, etc... but if you look below that it will indicate the regular license is valid...

The problem is over-reliance on computers... If an actual (non-moron) person looks at it, the license is obviously valid in many cases.