Downtown Post Uber

The Mollusk

So now that It's been a year or so since Uber has officially taken over downtown here's a few things I've noticed

- Most millenials have never taken a taxi. Uber has already threaded itself deeply into their culture. If they have to approach a taxi , it's usually in a guarded fashion.

- Surge avoiders are ridiculous. They would rather sit on the curb than spend the couple bucks. These are people who just spent $9 a drink for the last 4 hours and are wearing $200 belts.

- they *do not* value their uber drivers or their service. They think that driving clear across town for$15-20 is normal. I had a whelp yesterday that approached me after he broke from a phone staring huddle and asked...

" will you go to Dolphin for $25?"
" that's crazy brother, can you come up at all? Maybe $40?"
" absolutely not"

The run itself is closer to$50 plus tip.

" what's your surge price"
" no surge, always the same rate"

Must have heard that about 29.5 times last night.

" wow,taxis are the same price as uber"
" yep, short trips are pretty much the same "

OrlandoUberX

This was one of my downtown trips last night. It was so short even Uber asked me if it was an actual trip or if I wanted to cancel the ride.
Screenshot_20160723-205929.png

OrlandoUberX

I don't blame passengers for being cheap, Uber encourages them to be that way and tells them it's okay with low fares. We live in an area that is the definition of urban sprawl and every household has multiple vehicles. The fact that people that live here even use Uber to go out shocks me.

Mars Troll Number 4

So now that It's been a year or so since Uber has officially taken over downtown here's a few things I've noticed

- Most millenials have never taken a taxi. Uber has already threaded itself deeply into their culture. If they have to approach a taxi , it's usually in a guarded fashion.

- Surge avoiders are ridiculous. They would rather sit on the curb than spend the couple bucks. These are people who just spent $9 a drink for the last 4 hours and are wearing $200 belts.

- they *do not* value their uber drivers or their service. They think that driving clear across town for$15-20 is normal. I had a whelp yesterday that approached me after he broke from a phone staring huddle and asked...

" will you go to Dolphin for $25?"
" that's crazy brother, can you come up at all? Maybe $40?"
" absolutely not"

The run itself is closer to$50 plus tip.

" what's your surge price"
" no surge, always the same rate"

Must have heard that about 29.5 times last night.

" wow,taxis are the same price as uber"
" yep, short trips are pretty much the same "
I don't even bother trying downtown anymore... Not worth the time.

What's that a fare in zone 3.. Still better than screwing around downtown.

OrlandoUberX

Is the minimum gone?
There's a minimum payment of 3.65 but no minimum distance. There needs to be a minimum distance and the app needs to require an end destination so figure out if that's being met. Then again people suck and they would probably set the destination miles away and ten once in the car tell you they only need to go a block.

The Mollusk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't even bother trying downtown anymore... Not worth the time.

What's that a fare in zone 3.. Still better than screwing around downtown.
Yeah. Exactly. I only go downtown if I'm feeling crazy or I've picked up my 3rd major blvd in a row.

Hmmmm....a zone 3 at 2:00 am....no thanks.

OrlandoUberX

As an Uber driver I wouldn't be very venture into the core of downtown. If it's surging I'll stay on the edges in hope of a ride. It's not worth sitting in the grid lock traffic

Mickeym88

Mears breaks the city into zones. That map was in zone 3. It has worked well and kept things fair for taxi drivers since long before GPS. While GPS is more accurate zones allow queue lines in any part of town.

The Mollusk

My crystal ball is in the shop getting getting polished, what is a zone 3?
It's the heart of badness. Parramore. Seen some of the saddest things I've ever seen there. When I was green I used to pick up there and it just gets worse and worse and worse. I've never actually been hurt, but I've picked drug dealers who've counted their take and started rolling their stash into baggies, I've gone on inadvertant buys, inadvertant sells and once on an "enforcement" mission. During the daytime it's basically a no-show party, with too many $3 laundry runs. Laundry runs are so gross.....

You guys are lucky that zone3 is too poor to afford a phone and a credit card.....

The Mollusk

no a deathwish would be chasing a fare in 372 thats says its going to Ft lauderdale and driving into the Circle... which a rookie did who got Osceola Select one night.

Lol....

" my boyfriends gonna pay when we get to Ft lauderdale , I promise"

" I left my money in a random apartment near my destination , be right back "

skyjuice

I don't blame passengers for being cheap, Uber encourages them to be that way and tells them it's okay with low fares. We live in an area that is the definition of urban sprawl and every household has multiple vehicles. The fact that people that live here even use Uber to go out shocks me.
Are you forgetting those very same people also like to go out party and drink and not have to worry about driving?

Shine'ola

I went out Sat night and ended up DT waiting on the 2am surge, I was hanging in my spot and I see two guys and a girl, the @@@@@@bag guys were looking at U rider and Lyft app, Uber was at 2.7x and Lyft was 300% prime, I tell the guy jump on it, it takes about 3.2X to equal a cab, he comes back with I live around Olympia High School on Apopka Vineland, I'll pay $20, I said no thanks, the other guy started to tell me where he lives, I said I don't care, so they flag over two beat to crap white n yellow mini van cabs and negotiate with the drivers, both hopped in but a minute later the the single guy got kicked out, LOL, I got a 2.9XL that took me right home with a detour drop off in the middle, it was a thing of beauty.