• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Down rated a rider and lost the tip

R3drang3r

I've never paid much attention to a pax's rating. When it comes to rating them with few exceptions I always give a five. After reading a lot of comments up here, I started to rethink my strategy as far as rating the Pax.

I get a ping with a short 2 minute ride. I'm not really thrilled about it. I pick up this girl in her early twenties. She's going to work at a close by Fry's. She says hello, and tells me her name. Then she buries her face in her phone and we have no further conversation. We arrived at Fry's she thanks me, says goodbye and exits the vehicle. I do something I don't ordinarily do which is I rate her a 4. It was a minimum fare trip and I'm figuring no way will I get a tip.
I start to drive away and almost immediately I get a notification. I just received a $4 tip. It was from the very same young lady. Now I'm starting to feel bad that I gave her the four.
Several hours later I'm looking through the app and I notice now there is $4 missing from my tips. I pull up the details of the individual trip. Where previously I saw a $4 tip, it was now missing.
I call support and they verify what I already know, which is the tip is gone. I asked if a customer can go back and reverse the tip and take it back. Support answered, yes.
I'm not exactly sure how this works. Here's what I'm thinking. Apparently the Pax can see the rating that we give them. Me giving her the 4 made her rethink giving me the tip in the first place.
I was expecting to get a bad rating out of that one too. It hasn't happened yet.

Does all of this sound possible. Can the Pax see the rating that we give them? I know that they can take the tip back.
Down rating a Pax cost me a $4 tip.

Western Warrior

She saw her rating drop after the trip. She figured out it was you since the drop came just after the ride. She could not change your rating or she would have done that too. We used to be able to change pax rating but not anymore. Withdrawing the tip is the first time I’ve heard that.

SFOspeedracer

I've never paid much attention to a pax's rating. When it comes to rating them with few exceptions I always give a five. After reading a lot of comments up here, I started to rethink my strategy as far as rating the Pax.

I get a ping with a short 2 minute ride. I'm not really thrilled about it. I pick up this girl in her early twenties. She's going to work at a close by Fry's. She says hello, and tells me her name. Then she buries her face in her phone and we have no further conversation. We arrived at Fry's she thanks me, says goodbye and exits the vehicle. I do something I don't ordinarily do which is I rate her a 4. It was a minimum fare trip and I'm figuring no way will I get a tip.
I start to drive away and almost immediately I get a notification. I just received a $4 tip. It was from the very same young lady. Now I'm starting to feel bad that I gave her the four.
Several hours later I'm looking through the app and I notice now there is $4 missing from my tips. I pull up the details of the individual trip. Where previously I saw a $4 tip, it was now missing.
I call support and they verify what I already know, which is the tip is gone. I asked if a customer can go back and reverse the tip and take it back. Support answered, yes.
I'm not exactly sure how this works. Here's what I'm thinking. Apparently the Pax can see the rating that we give them. Me giving her the 4 made her rethink giving me the tip in the first place.
I was expecting to get a bad rating out of that one too. It hasn't happened yet.

Does all of this sound possible. Can the Pax see the rating that we give them? I know that they can take the tip back.
Down rating a Pax cost me a $4 tip.
Pax can see their rating either go up or drop on their profile on the top left corner on the app, but they cannot see a star breakdown like on the driver app. I did not know however that a pax could take back a tip, I’ve never had that option on Uber as a rider and the only justification I can think of is a reach out to support to have it done

R3drang3r

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
[/QUOTE]
I'm just thinking down rating somebody because you don't think they're going to tip may not be too smart.
If the Pax is able to see the rating that you give them

Post automatically merged:

Pax can see their rating either go up or drop on their profile on the top left corner on the app, but they cannot see a star breakdown like on the driver app. I did not know however that a pax could take back a tip, I’ve never had that option on Uber as a rider and the only justification I can think of is a reach out to support to have it done
According to support the customer can go back in the app and reverse the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:

raisedoncereal

At least for me, the Uber app on Android seems to repeat the tip messages over and over, even for tips that I've already acknowledged. Oftentimes restarting the app will alert me of tips that are hours, sometimes a day old, even after I clicked and acknowledge them

Are you positive that the $4 tip was from that ride? Or did you happen to have a different $4 tip from a previous ride that you may have gotten confused with due to repetitive announcements from the app?

R3drang3r

At least for me, the Uber app on Android seems to repeat the tip messages over and over, even for tips that I've already acknowledged. Oftentimes restarting the app will alert me of tips that are hours, sometimes a day old, even after I clicked and acknowledge them

Are you positive that the $4 tip was from that ride? Or did you happen to have a different $4 tip from a previous ride that you may have gotten confused with due to repetitive announcements from the app?
I've seen what you're talkin about. This was different.
I was still in the parking lot when I received the notification. I immediately stopped and opened up the app to check it out. I even opened up the details of that trip And saw the $4 tip.

SFOspeedracer

I'd be real curious to see if leaving a tip in the app, if you can go back and reverse it.
Im looking but still don’t see an option to take back a tip on past rides, but I haven’t taken an Uber that I tipped via card in a week. I just called an Uber to take me back from from the bar .. maybe there is only a threshold of time. Ill see once I’m dropped off, I am curious now

raisedoncereal

You know what you need to do, then.

Repent and ask for forgiveness. Tell her you'll 6* her next time to make up for it and undo the damages.

Problem solved, next topic

R3drang3r

You know what you need to do, then.

Repent and ask for forgiveness. Tell her you'll 6* her next time to make up for it and undo the damages.

Problem solved, next topic
This has nothing to do with forgiveness or repenting.

Down rating a Pax simply because they didn't tip you may not be the smartest thing to do. If the Pax can see that you've given them a lower rating. You're guaranteeing that they will fulfill your expectations And not give you a tip.

rkozy

Down rating a Pax simply because they didn't tip you may not be the smartest thing to do. If the Pax can see that you've given them a lower rating. You're guaranteeing that they will fulfill your expectations And not give you a tip.
I've had many passengers tip hours, sometimes days, after a ride. There have been numerous occasions where I really wanted to 1* a boisterous passenger, but didn't. I was glad I held my fire in those instances, because they tipped $5 through the app shortly after I rated them 5* at drop-off.

I try to reserve my 1* for passengers who are such a problem that I'd never want them in my vehicle again. I get the sense that if you go about rating too many passengers below 3* then Uber may disregard your pax ratings altogether. I know they will disregard driver ratings from pax who always 1* drivers.