DOT in city tonight

Daz

Just in from sat night shift Dept of transport guys out in city tonight making their prescence felt. I noticed a lot of taxi drivers arguing with police on fri night. Cops wernt letting them que and coming down on them and taxis were fighting back.
Its quiet comical 3 years ago all i remember was people lined up 100 deep wanting a cab. Now rolls reversed 100 cabs lined up wanting people. How times have changed.

haldriver

Its quiet comical 3 years ago all i remember was people lined up 100 deep wanting a cab. Now rolls reversed 100 cabs lined up wanting people. How times have changed.
It was a lot longer ago than 3 years.
Friday Saturday nights have been pretty quiet for Taxis for seven or eight years. Government released way too many lease plates (1500 all up).
Only busy nights were the couple of Friday's before Xmas and the Saturday 2 weeks before Xmas and then only from 11.00 pm to 12.30 am. Press still used photos of Milligan Street rank taken on NYE 10 years ago but reality was a lot different.
The first 5 years I drove (from 1995 to 1999) did have some very busy weekend nights and Sunday nights at Cott and OBH were full on (up to 3000 people in Cottesloe some nights) but that is ancient history. Steves and Hipp-e on Wednesday was the same.
Swan stuffed up on Millennium NYE (1999) by trying to do have $100 pre-booking fee (plus the actual fare). Worst PR ever for Taxis. Restaurants and nightclubs were doing $300 to 400 tickets as well. That was a really dull night. Most people just went to mates places and crashed there.

People have long memories but remain ignorant to the present situation.
Even on NYE it doesn't get busy til 12.30.

Said it before and will say it again.
Uber drivers have had it good because of lower supply but now there is over supply and when the Taxi industry is wiped out there will be another 6000 drivers on Uber platform.

Welcome to the Party.

Reactions: Daz

UberPig

Get used to DOT. You are in the ODT industry now... Wouldn't be surprised if officer's are sick of sitting on their hands.
Comply and fly!!!!!

Potsy

Get used to DOT. You are in the ODT industry now... Wouldn't be surprised if officer's are sick of sitting on their hands.
Comply and fly!!!!!
Yep....I never thought I'd say it but I'll be glad to see a regulator overseeing Uber as Uber won't look after anyone but themselves.

Daz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a lot longer ago than 3 years.
Friday Saturday nights have been pretty quiet for Taxis for seven or eight years. Government released way too many lease plates (1500 all up).
Only busy nights were the couple of Friday's before Xmas and the Saturday 2 weeks before Xmas and then only from 11.00 pm to 12.30 am. Press still used photos of Milligan Street rank taken on NYE 10 years ago but reality was a lot different.
The first 5 years I drove (from 1995 to 1999) did have some very busy weekend nights and Sunday nights at Cott and OBH were full on (up to 3000 people in Cottesloe some nights) but that is ancient history. Steves and Hipp-e on Wednesday was the same.
Swan stuffed up on Millennium NYE (1999) by trying to do have $100 pre-booking fee (plus the actual fare). Worst PR ever for Taxis. Restaurants and nightclubs were doing $300 to 400 tickets as well. That was a really dull night. Most people just went to mates places and crashed there.

People have long memories but remain ignorant to the present situation.
Even on NYE it doesn't get busy til 12.30.

Said it before and will say it again.
Uber drivers have had it good because of lower supply but now there is over supply and when the Taxi industry is wiped out there will be another 6000 drivers on Uber platform.

Welcome to the Party.
Great feedback haldriver. So true in what you say about uber.
The taxi industry needed to be cleaned up in perth. The board should be ashamed of themselves for not protecting their drivers. They needed new young fresh blood at the top who were marketing pros to pushback on uber but they just let it happen.
New uniforms an improved image reduced rates ..new app that works. Pr campaign on tv. New rules eg no sleeping in cabs. I still think the cab industry can be saved but they have to get going now to save and i still dont see any action. God help you all cab drivers if your people at the top still insist on doing nothing!!!

UberDriverAU

Great feedback haldriver. So true in what you say about uber.
The taxi industry needed to be cleaned up in perth. The board should be ashamed of themselves for not protecting their drivers. They needed new young fresh blood at the top who were marketing pros to pushback on uber but they just let it happen.
New uniforms an improved image reduced rates ..new app that works. Pr campaign on tv. New rules eg no sleeping in cabs. I still think the cab industry can be saved but they have to get going now to save and i still dont see any action. God help you all cab drivers if your people at the top still insist on doing nothing!!!
It is the structure of the taxi industry that lead to it being where it is today, so it's hard to believe that anything is going to substantially change without a substantial change in structure. The taxi industry has been free of any real competition for so long and has accrued so much bad will from the general public that it's going to take a very long time to undo the damage that has been years (decades?) in the making. So many people tell me that the difference in attitude between taxi driver and Uber driver means they will always choose Uber over a taxi. I've even had customers happily pay more in surge rates than comparable taxi rates because they never want to catch a taxi again! This first round of reforms (and even the second round when it eventually happens) isn't going to clean up the taxi industry. Only the taxi industry can effect such change, especially when the government has signaled that it is going to take an increasingly hands-off approach to regulation.

Jocker

It is the structure of the taxi industry that lead to it being where it is today, so it's hard to believe that anything is going to substantially change without a substantial change in structure. The taxi industry has been free of any real competition for so long and has accrued so much bad will from the general public that it's going to take a very long time to undo the damage that has been years (decades?) in the making. So many people tell me that the difference in attitude between taxi driver and Uber driver means they will always choose Uber over a taxi. I've even had customers happily pay more in surge rates than comparable taxi rates because they never want to catch a taxi again! This first round of reforms (and even the second round when it eventually happens) isn't going to clean up the taxi industry. Only the taxi industry can effect such change, especially when the government has signaled that it is going to take an increasingly hands-off approach to regulation.
The only reason people use uber is because of the low fare, and I can tell you from what the customers are telling me the srevice is starting to become like a taxi. More and more ex taxi drivers just in clean cars and cloths. For these reasons uber will never increase their rates because they would lose their rides. Customers who require a more proffesional and personal service will use charter companies and pay double the amount from uber black.

UberPig

Then uber can still increase the fares to taxi price and people have little choice... They still haye taxi's more.

Jocker

Then uber can still increase the fares to taxi price and people have little choice... They still haye taxi's more.
That will never happen, why would they increase their rates when were happy to drive with existing rates

UberDriverAU

The only reason people use uber is because of the low fare, and I can tell you from what the customers are telling me the srevice is starting to become like a taxi.
There's absolutely no way lower prices are the only reason people use Uber. People regularly tell me that typical service with Uber is better in every aspect compared to typical taxi service (ie. it's not just price), and they see no reason to ever use a taxi again. The taxi industry has accrued as much bad will as it has due to years of crap service. That had very little to do with pricing. Uber has a very long way to fall to "catch up".

Jocker

There's absolutely no way lower prices are the only reason people use Uber. People regularly tell me that typical service with Uber is better in every aspect compared to typical taxi service (ie. it's not just price), and they see no reason to ever use a taxi again. The taxi industry has accrued as much bad will as it has due to years of crap service. That had very little to do with pricing. Uber has a very long way to fall to "catch up".
Then why doesn't uber raise their prices if there is no chance the passengers will use taxis . Why aren't there more surges if the passengers love uber so much.

Loz

I have had many people tell me the reason they use Uber is because of the very low price and when Uber is surging they wait or call a taxi so the reason most people Uber is the cheap fare..The taxi industry has been crap for many years and this is the reason people flocked to Uber in the first place but now I hear many complaints about Uber drivers so I guess it will be only a matter of time before they hate Uber also but continue to use it because of the low fare..

whocareaboutPAX

Yep, seen them in leederville pulling over Ubers. Put my phone away before I drive to any lit up area / major drop off point.

UberPig

Then why doesn't uber raise their prices if there is no chance the passengers will use taxis . Why aren't there more surges if the passengers love uber so much.
This is a good question and the Feb price cut made no sense to me with pax barely being aware of it. My guess is that they go as low as they can to squeeze out any potential competition. They have offset their own loss by increasing comm on new drivers.

haldriver

So many people tell me that the difference in attitude between taxi driver and Uber driver means they will always choose Uber over a taxi. I've even had customers happily pay more in surge rates than comparable taxi rates because they never want to catch a taxi
So ex Taxi drivers (driving for Uber) have a better attitude than Taxi Drivers.
So ex Taxis (driven by Uber drivers) are better than Taxis.
So Suzuki swifts and Nissan Micras are better than Camry Hybrids and Fords.
So drivers who would have driven Taxis but didn't want to go through the rigmarole of doing course are better than those that did course.
So a driver who doesn't know where he is going is better than a driver who doesn't know where he is going.
So a Uber car that smells of vomit is better than a Taxi that smells of vomit.
So a car with camera 24/7 recording is safer than a car without.

Uber is cheaper and the cars are newer (except the ex-Taxis). The cars will get older and because Uber is cheaper the drivers will be hard pressed to maintain them.

In the end Uber is cheaper and that is all. Driver attitude is the same on average except drivers for Uber will get ratty and disillusioned as income falls to US levels (especially when Taxis are forced to strip off their livery and join Uber).
This is how Ponzi works. Get drivers in, pay them well then get more drivers in and income goes down and real costs kick in (then is too late for drivers committed to system through debt).
Then everyone loses except Ponzi Schemers (Uber alles).

vinzvinz92

So drivers who would have driven Taxis but didn't want to go through the rigmarole of doing course are better than those that did course.
So a driver who doesn't know where he is going is better than a driver who doesn't know where he is going.

Uber is cheaper and the cars are newer (except the ex-Taxis). The cars will get older and because Uber is cheaper the drivers will be hard pressed to maintain them.

In the end Uber is cheaper and that is all. Driver attitude is the same on average except drivers for Uber will get ratty and disillusioned as income falls to US levels (especially when Taxis are forced to strip off their livery and join Uber).
This is how Ponzi works. Get drivers in, pay them well then get more drivers in and income goes down and real costs kick in (then is too late for drivers committed to system through debt).
Yes. Welcome to the party.

UberDriverAU

You severely underestimate the bad will that exists towards taxis by the general public. You stick a great driver in a taxi, and both he and the passenger are more likely to have a negative experience, you stick exactly the same driver in an Uber vehicle, and both he and the passenger are more likely to have a positive experience. People bring with them expectations about what a service will be like, especially if they've had many previous negative experiences, and to a degree it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Uber started with a clean slate, and is miles in front of taxis by default because of that.

UberDriverAU

I have had many people tell me the reason they use Uber is because of the very low price and when Uber is surging they wait or call a taxi so the reason most people Uber is the cheap fare..The taxi industry has been crap for many years and this is the reason people flocked to Uber in the first place but now I hear many complaints about Uber drivers so I guess it will be only a matter of time before they hate Uber also but continue to use it because of the low fare..
There are people who use Uber now that simply didn't use taxis before because it wasn't affordable for them. Of course there will be complaints about Uber drivers too, it's impossible for there not to be. Uber drivers are aware (or at least should be aware) how easy it is to be "deactivated", and that's a genuine incentive for some drivers to act better than the stereotypical taxi driver who can't be "deactivated" for having a shit attitude. It's also entirely possible for Uber to be surging and still cost less than a taxi for the same trip.