• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

DoorDash is it worth it?

oicu812

It was a joke. The guy has a reputation for only being on this forum to give out his Caviar referral codes. I've only seen him try to do that once, though, and he does post about other stuff. So it was a joke in poor taste on my part.
He just want people to sign up with Caviar. Caviar is not the same everywhere.

Ishurue

You need as many apps as possible and pick the best ping offered.

These are ubereats each was 2 pick ups, all under surge , thats only time i do ubereats unless im in suburbs.

I do uber,lyft,caviar ( rarely caviar)

Last caviar order was on super bowl sunday,
Me and a buddy were taking a break and meeting up at za pizza.
Got a caviar ping , pick up at za and drop off was accross the street ( no exaggeration)
3 base and the bs expected tip of 4.39 went through.

Attachments

reg barclay

As others have pointed out, this depends a lot on your area, but I'll try to enumerate what I see as the pros and cons of each, based on the area I drive in.

Firstly, with DD I see where the delivery is going, plus total miles for the whole trip from acceptance to finish, and how much at minimum I will make from it, before I accept it. This is obviously a big plus. In contrast, with Eats, I have no way of knowing where its going till I start the delivery, and don't get paid anything till that point. So with Eats, I'll try to restrict myself to pings where the restaurant is pretty close to my current location.

The DD tipping system is different to Uber's because of how their guarantee pay works. On most DD deliveries I don't end up with more than the guaranteed amount (although I sometimes do, as well as the odd cash tip). So while the average Eats fare nets me less than a DD guaranteed amount, it's more common that I get more than the Eats fare due to the tips, which with Eats are always on top of the fare. So if I only accept Eats pings that are close, I'd say it evens out.

Eats is simpler than DD. Swipe once to pick up food and start delivery, and again at drop off. Never any need to pay for orders, nevermind place them. And easier cancellation and payment if the customer can't be found. Plus it's easier to keep a good rating.

On a whole, I think the two even out for me, as long as I restrict Eats to close pings (5 mins or less, unless I'm on a destination filter). As I said though, this is my personal experience in my area, and YMMV in many of these things.

MontcoUberDriver

Since the beginning of the new year I have pretty much only been doing delivery. I run UberEats and DoorDash at the same time and take pings from both and treat them like they are stacked pings. By average DoorDash pays a little more than UberEats but the difference is minimal in my area. I’ve noticed a big upswing of tips on UberEats and that has really helped bring the payouts up. See attached. I use Gridwise to track my mileage and earnings so Lyft numbers are actually Doordash

Attachments

Joe Dow

i refuse to work for Thieves and DoorDash is a Thief. UE is not perfect but atleast they are not proud to be a thief.

& I always consider earnings per mile to review my day atleast $1/ total miles

cardinalsfan

i just signed up for DoorDash and my orientation is Jan 10,2019 is the pay any better then Uber? Are there more tips involved?
In my opinion it’s better than UberEats. The tips are better.
First, DoorDash tips are NOT better, since DoorDash subsidizes your wages with them. You get $0 tips or $50 tips in a week, your pay is exactly the same. But I won't belabor that, since everyone talks about it (rightly so).

I've done 6 months of UE and 1 month of DD. Here's my take:
Reasons DD is better:
  1. They tell you where you're going. This is the main drawback of UE. On UE, you know where the restaurant is, but then you might be taking the food to Timbuktu and then drive all the way back. On DD, they'll tell you the destination is in Timbuktu and you can reject it.
  2. IF you were to actually get your tips, DD pay seems a little better. But once you factor in the tip scam, it's probably about the same.
Reasons UE is better:
  1. The way they pay is straightforward (after the service fee is taken out, I get $.98 for pickup, $.65 for each dropoff, $.08/minute, and $.40/mile - this is only from restaurant to destination). So if I do drive to Timbuktu, at least I get paid for the mileage there.
  2. You NEVER have to place the order or pay for it. You're always just picking it up.
  3. It's run by idiots, but they're not as manipulative as DD (see "DD stealing tips" among other things). I feel like UE at least pretends to care about their drivers, unlike DD.
  4. Support is SLIGHTLY easier to reach than DD. I've gotten faster turnaround times with UE support than DD (although usually both are equally as absurd answers).
  5. You don't have to keep your acceptance rate up to get extra pay. If you're getting Boost or Quest, you usually don't have to keep your acceptance rate up--you can choose what you want. On DD, if you're getting "extra pay," you have to accept 80% of orders--even if they want you to take 200 bags of Walmart groceries to Grandma Bertha in Timbuktu for $5.
Neither is great; they both have their problems. But UE seems slightly more straightforward to me. I trust them slightly more than DD (yes, I almost puked writing that I trust UE).

MontcoUberDriver

First, DoorDash tips are NOT better, since DoorDash subsidizes your wages with them. You get $0 tips or $50 tips in a week, your pay is exactly the same. But I won't belabor that, since everyone talks about it (rightly so).

Reasons DD is better:
  1. They tell you where you're going. This is the main drawback of UE. On UE, you know where the restaurant is, but then you might be taking the food to Timbuktu and then drive all the way back. On DD, they'll tell you the destination is in Timbuktu and you can reject it.
  2. IF you were to actually get your tips, DD pay seems a little better. But once you factor in the tip scam, it's probably about the same.
Reasons UE is better:
  1. The way they pay is straightforward (after the service fee is taken out, I get $.98 for pickup, $.65 for each dropoff, $.08/minute, and $.40/mile - this is only from restaurant to destination). So if I do drive to Timbuktu, at least I get paid for the mileage there.
  2. You NEVER have to place the order or pay for it. You're always just picking it up.
  3. It's run by idiots, but they're not as manipulative as DD (see "DD stealing tips" among other things). I feel like UE at least pretends to care about their drivers, unlike DD.
  4. Support is SLIGHTLY easier to reach than DD. I've gotten faster turnaround times with UE support than DD (although usually both are equally as absurd answers).
  5. You don't have to keep your acceptance rate up to get extra pay. If you're getting Boost or Quest, you usually don't have to keep your acceptance rate up--you can choose what you want. On DD, if you're getting "extra pay," you have to accept 80% of orders--even if they want you to take 200 bags of Walmart groceries to Grandma Bertha in Timbuktu for $5.
Neither is great; they both have their problems. But UE seems slightly more straightforward to me. I trust them slightly more than DD (yes, I almost puked writing that I trust UE).
I can’t and won’t defend DD’s practices but from a bottom line perspective I make more per delivery from DD than UE.

KMANDERSON

i just signed up for DoorDash and my orientation is Jan 10,2019 is the pay any better then Uber? Are there more tips involved?
It better then Uber eats but not as good as Grubhub since they changed there pay structure
Post automatically merged:

Reasons DD is better:
Reasons UE is better:
They a good evaluation of the app.The thing I hate the most when doing Doordash is it use to be a good app to deliver on before they came up with this horrible pay structure.It was on par with Grubhub.

Last edited:

cardinalsfan

I can’t and won’t defend DD’s practices but from a bottom line perspective I make more per delivery from DD than UE.
I think I agree with you there. I did DoorDash for about a month, and I have since stopped. I agree DD pays slightly better, but I felt like run into more problems with DD than Uber (restaurant doesn't exist, don't understand what to order, etc.).

However, the last straw that made me quit DD was how vague their insurance is. It seems they only cover liability on a job (not comprehensive). It seems the same person wrote about insurance that wrote about tips--leaving it as vague as possible. Uber claims to have liability while waiting for jobs and comprehensive (and liability) from the moment you accept a job. That was too much of a risk to continue DD and did it for me...

MontcoUberDriver

Do they pay you to go to the orientation?
I didn’t have orientation. They just sent me a bag and card.
Post automatically merged:

I think I agree with you there. I did DoorDash for about a month, and I have since stopped. I agree DD pays slightly better, but I felt like run into more problems with DD than Uber (restaurant doesn't exist, don't understand what to order, etc.).

However, the last straw that made me quit DD was how vague their insurance is. It seems they only cover liability on a job (not comprehensive). It seems the same person wrote about insurance that wrote about tips--leaving it as vague as possible. Uber claims to have liability while waiting for jobs and comprehensive (and liability) from the moment you accept a job. That was too much of a risk to continue DD and did it for me...
Insurance for all these gigs is awful. Best bet is to carry your own.

cardinalsfan

Insurance for all these gigs is awful. Best bet is to carry your own.
I don't know about other insurance, but mine won't cover me on a job. I pay for gap insurance, which covers me when the app is on, when I'm driving to a restaurant, but not while I'm delivering (they said they don't even have insurance for that). The insurance CSR seemed to agree that DoorDash's insurance is more vague than Uber's.

IGotDrive

Do they pay you to go to the orientation?
No, they don't pay you for orientation. And they didn't give me a bag either, but they sold small, flimsy, overpiced ones so I ended up using the better bags I got for free from another delivery service while I worked for DD (which I no longer do).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Deliver 7
MontcoUberDriver Deliver 7
T Deliver 37