Don't Try To Hustle a Hustler

ibeam23

I get a ping that was a bit farther away than I'd usually take but I was an unproductive area during mid morning today. As I pull up in front of the huge mansion I get a text from pax.

Pax: Hey, I'm running a little behind. Can you wait 10 minutes? I will tip 50 bucks.

Me: 50 cash?

Pax: I'll tip on the app.

Me: No problem, when you get in the car and I start the trip you can show me on the app the $50 tip.

30 seconds later DING - Rider cancelled.

I drive around he block and wait for next ping. Five minutes later I get a ping and it's the same pax. To be a prick I accept with no intention of moving one inch. Ten seconds later DING - Rider cancelled.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people? A BMW and 2 Mercedes in he driveway of a house worth $800,000. Wants me to wait, promises big tip but then I call him out on it he cancels.

ZepFan

I was doing XL rides on Saturday and I went to pick up a bunch of people and once they got in the car the person canceled the ride.

They were only going about a mile but I realized that they were trying to get a cheaper trip.

So they proposed giving me $5 cash. I paused went on the passenger app looked up an XL ride to where they were going and it was like over $9.

I ask them for $7 they agreed. In addition to the $7, he got hit with a cancelation fee. So I ended up getting almost $11 to go one mile.

Nice try! You lose!

FortLeeUber2017

I get a ping that was a bit farther away than I'd usually take but I was an unproductive area during mid morning today. As I pull up in front of the huge mansion I get a text from pax.

Pax: Hey, I'm running a little behind. Can you wait 10 minutes? I will tip 50 bucks.

Me: No problem, when you get in the car and I start the trip you can show me on the app the $50 tip.

I drive around he block and wait for next ping. Five minutes later I get a ping and it's the same pax. To be a prick I accept with no intention of moving one inch. Ten seconds later DING - Rider cancelled.

Seriously, what is wrong with these people? A BMW and 2 Mercedes in he driveway of a house worth $800,000. Wants me to wait, promises big tip but then I call him out on it he cancels.
Done this shyt before. I would say “it’s okay, I’ll wait”. Then, we he is not “behind” anymore and gets into my car I would ask for that tip upfront. He doesn’t have luxury of time anymore, remember? He’ll pay. Through square. And then 1-star. Game over. One day I got a trip like this and I literally waited 45 minutes on the driveway of that mansion for the female passenger. Showed no disappointment and made $250 in total for that City round trip including tips both ways. So it all depends. At the end of a day it’s just about money. You pay - I wait. We, who have been doing this for a while, know that those passengers are capable of. I’ve had people smiling like hell and keep saying “what a wonderful human being” of myself during the snowstorm. I bet the same people wouldn’t even say “how are you” when it’s dry and sunny and base fare-ish. So they can act accordingly but only when the circumstances arise. You would wait for him and he is already late and there’s no time to call another driver - he would pay.

bobby747

i once waited outside a mansion about 45 minutes with app. on . of a big tip comming ... doylestown xl to nyc...at end of trip he wanted to tip in app. i told him no...so $50 cash only..wait time pay say $10 gas running the a/c $11..wtf. i was so relaxed...no surge ok pay....my pay to that place was xl 2.6 like $200+ for me..nyc was less..my advice . dont wait for these high rollers....unless they peel off a $100 while u wait

ibeam23

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve been burned a few times back in my noOb days. I posted today’s experience for the benefit of new drivers. NEVER TRUST A PAX TO DO THE RIGHT THING. The wealthier the pax the higher the likelihood of them lying to you. Generous millionaires take Uber Black while cheap entitled millionaire liars take Uber X.

FlyingFortress

Author

Yes, no matter how wealthy, the compulsion to cheat, browbeat, use and abuse service workers, who may have few other working options, is at a peak. Many times I see it coming (because they think we’re stupid) but let it play out in the interest of keeping the peace. If I believe that my loss will not be unacceptable given any upside, I ignore the painful insults. You need a really thick skin and an ability to access your risks nearly instantaneously. The great unwashed many times prosper on the backs of good people. No surprises there.

Post automatically merged:

he’s probably pulled many times on other drivers and someone probably always fall for it

ZepFan

Some richies really are cheapskates. So are some business travelers. Got bupkis from 2 going from EWR to Basking Ridge today. Really annoying.

ibeam23

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some richies really are cheapskates. So are some business travelers. Got bupkis from 2 going from EWR to Basking Ridge today. Really annoying.
Unfortunately most business travelers simply do not tip. I mean, they aren’t paying for the ride and it’s a couple of taps on their phone. I usually just 4 star those types and move on.

TheNJBen

I’ve gotten a $30 tip on a 10 minute ride one time waiting 15 minutes. Cash. I play it by ear and if I believe them. I had another lady at a posh restaurant who asked me to drive around the block for 10 minutes ... well not ask but say she “expects” me to do that. I waited 5 and cancelled and got an angry phone call.

Uber burn in hell

Went to a mantiin this morning airport trip. I haven a sedan. 5 large suit cases. 3 back packs. 4 full grown adults. No helo, no good morning. (5Am) pouring rain. After I scrambling to fit all those luggage’s in the trunk and inside the car. They jump in the car slam doors. Then say they are late. No Sh*t. Then guy starts giving me directions. I’m like that’s what the GPS is for plus. I can drive to EWR with my eyes closed. I love the fact that people think shareride drivers don’t know the roads, when we have put enough miles in the state to reach the moon.?. Then the woman in the back asks me to turn the music off. P.s you could barely hear it because of the rain. Then the guy says we are going to terminal C. 4 times, on the 4th time it took everything in me to remain professional and not look him in the eye and say “ I think that’s being stablished. Then the woman in the back starts telling what lane I should be on. Errrrrrr, they she starts talking ranting to her husband sitting in the front so loud I was having I hard time focusing on driving. At one point her daughter kept saying “please shut!Please shut up! It’s 5 am!” Get to the terminal once again I’m reminded “ you are taking us to C departures right?” No I’m taking you to arrivals ?. As I’m rolling to the first door he opens the door. I’m like can you plz wait sir. I pull up, I jump out unload all their crap as soon as possible. And bye bye.
My point. You talking about cheap. I didn’t this people or an Uber XL? It defies my understanding. As far as a tip I never expect one. And never got one. ???. A few weeks a ago I got a ping and 7 people tried to hop in my car. I said it ain’t happening. They told me they were going to report me to Uber. So I try to give him my phone and said here you go just hit support. And said we are all being recorded btw. They were like it’s ok.

Wining!!!!!!!

FlyingFortress

Author
Went to a mantiin this morning airport trip. I haven a sedan. 5 large suit cases. 3 back packs. 4 full grown adults. No helo, no good morning. (5Am) pouring rain. After I scrambling to fit all those luggage’s in the trunk and inside the car. They jump in the car slam doors. Then say they are late. No Sh*t. Then guy starts giving me directions. I’m like that’s what the GPS is for plus. I can drive to EWR with my eyes closed. I love the fact that people think shareride drivers don’t know the roads, when we have put enough miles in the state to reach the moon.?. Then the woman in the back asks me to turn the music off. P.s you could barely hear it because of the rain. Then the guy says we are going to terminal C. 4 times, on the 4th time it took everything in me to remain professional and not look him in the eye and say “ I think that’s being stablished. Then the woman in the back starts telling what lane I should be on. Errrrrrr, they she starts talking ranting to her husband sitting in the front so loud I was having I hard time focusing on driving. At one point her daughter kept saying “please shut!Please shut up! It’s 5 am!” Get to the terminal once again I’m reminded “ you are taking us to C departures right?” No I’m taking you to arrivals ?. As I’m rolling to the first door he opens the door. I’m like can you plz wait sir. I pull up, I jump out unload all their crap as soon as possible. And bye bye.
My point. You talking about cheap. I didn’t this people or an Uber XL? It defies my understanding. As far as a tip I never expect one. And never got one. ???. A few weeks a ago I got a ping and 7 people tried to hop in my car. I said it ain’t happening. They told me they were going to report me to Uber. So I try to give him my phone and said here you go just hit support. And said we are all being recorded btw. They were like it’s ok.

Wining!!!!!!!

Whoa, this is a universally painful rideshare story on several levels.

First and from a practical point of view, these bargain-hunter families on their way to the airport use their experience and self-proclaimed "smarts" to game the rideshare system to save money that they'd really NEVER miss. They know better and they stick it to us anyway. Any family going away for the break typically has considerably more luggage than the business traveler. So to stick it to us, they hail a sedan or a small SUV. I drive a Cherokee — NOT a Grand Cherokee — which has 2 rows of seats and limited luggage space, not nearly as much as a now obsolete Town Car. And in my limo-driving days, the dispatchers had to carefully screen the families before we arrived at the pickup to assure that the luggage would fit. If it didn't, they would pay a penalty.

Whenever I suspect that there's any sort of airport work coming my way, I ALWAYS call first. I ask how many in the party, and critically, how many checked bags and how many carry-ons not including brief cases and purses. If I get a non-answer or someone stupidly admitting: 4-heavy checked bags and four carry-ons, I tell them that my car is too small and that they should have hailed a 3-row SUV or a minivan. They typically whine and tell me "other drivers can handle it..." I apologize profusely and ask them to cancel. They usually will because they have to make a flight.

Another painful part of this is that I remember back in the day, when rideshare began, the concept of "Oh, I see that you're going my way — as though I'm your neighbor — and I'll pick you up if you can share some expenses..." That is unheard of today. The entitled believe that we are their former limo service cars that charged $235 for curbside service at the airports with mandatory 20% tip included. Except that we're now rideshare for their aggrandizement and because of that, we're able to do this as our charitable contribution to their specific families. Yes, they EXPECT that.

And does anyone remember when we were encouraged to have all PAX sit in the front with us and HUG them on departure so they would look like family to the police? And Uber would not be dinged by the police? True story, we were TOLD to HUG them — man and woman alike (though they never mentioned that we'd need to hug the dogs as well). Looks like the hugging advice is no longer fashionable. Darn...miss hugging the hotties.