• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Don't see myself spending 25k plus financing a vehicle to Uber in

Inshur

K.O.N.Y

See lots of drivers all over driving new Honda Accords, Highlanders etc. After financing these cars are very expensive (25 to 40k)...
Just refuse to get stuck with some car I bought solely to Uber with. Saw a 2012 Impala with 80k for $4700, just seems more logical to keep overhead under 1k a month in a very up and down business

What do u think??

The Gift of Fish

I think the cheaper the better. It only makes sense as a business person to invest significantly if you know the business and what your future revenue receipts will be. With Uber this is impossible given that their terms & conditions and prices can and do change without notice. On one hand there is total flexibility on Uber's part to change the deal as they choose or to end the deal with the driver at any time for any reason, and on the other hand the driver has the total inflexibility of a monthly car payment and associated costs such as insurance. It kind of feels like going into a fistfight with one arm tied behind your back.

As far as I can see, this deal only makes sense if you buy a dirt cheap vehicle that also costs as little as possible to run.

Jim1985

Get something with low miles.and do not spend more than 18k on an uber car. When i had my inspection done for my second vehicle there was a guy before me in the mechanic booth. I told him his highlander was nice, he said he paid 44k for it and has never worked fhv before and he said he would get more money back starting with uber. I didnt have the heart to tell him he made a mistake, and i just said best of luck and to no do uberpool. This happened almost 2 months ago I think that guy is pulling his hairs right about now

michael7227

I think the sweet spot is $10-15k and 20-40k miles (as others have pointed out). I think you should 2015 at least also to get the max three year horizon out of this. You figure even with 30k miles and 50k miles driven a year getting the car to 180k miles is certainly within reason. That way you have made the most of an asset that will likely be close to worthless at the end of the three years...

minivanman

PLEASE don't make same mistake I did by changing hybrid car to xl vehicle thinking I would be making more..., xl jobs very rear and most good jobs going to suv drivers on xl, now I'm spending more in gas and stuck with x , poop

uber79nyc

PLEASE don't make same mistake I did by changing hybrid car to xl vehicle thinking I would be making more..., xl jobs very rear and most good jobs going to suv drivers on xl, now I'm spending more in gas and stuck with x , poop
Yes, unfortunately this is true. I know a guy doing x and pools with QX60. insane!

Zubera

What do you guys think about a new Corolla? Wouldn't that be better choice then 2015 Camry with 50k miles on it or it's too small and uncomfortable?

Jim1985

What do you guys think about a new Corolla? Wouldn't that be better choice then 2015 Camry with 50k miles on it or it's too small and uncomfortable?
Your pax will complain and your back is gonna kill you after a few months. I cant understand how compact cars entered this business unlike back then. But as a driver you owe it to yourself to be comfortable in your "office" unless you are 5'4 or below then yea sure go for it

roadman

See lots of drivers all over driving new Honda Accords, Highlanders etc. After financing these cars are very expensive (25 to 40k)...
Just refuse to get stuck with some car I bought solely to Uber with. Saw a 2012 Impala with 80k for $4700, just seems more logical to keep overhead under 1k a month in a very up and down business

What do u think??
get the cheapest biggest piece of junk car that qualifies.

Zubera

Your pax will complain and your back is gonna kill you after a few months. I cant understand how compact cars entered this business unlike back then. But as a driver you owe it to yourself to be comfortable in your "office" unless you are 5'4 or below then yea sure go for it
My back is in pain even after driving a Camry for about five months. Is Rav4 any better then Camry?

Jim1985

My back is in pain even after driving a Camry for about five months. Is Rav4 any better then Camry?
Never tried rav4. Only altima and camry. Get a lumbar support pillow. It helps a whole lot. Also get out of the car anytime you can, i usually get out after evey 2 or 3 passenger for a min or two. I used to have back ache now its all good. I dont wanna break down by 40 lol

michael7227

Chrysler 200 is INCREDIBLY comfortable but so so on gas mileage depending on 15 or 16. 2015+ Sonata is lovely also and is a real alternative to the Camry...

Your comfort should be neck and neck with the gas mileage and mechanical integrity of the car.

K.O.N.Y

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the cheaper the better. It only makes sense as a business person to invest significantly if you know the business and what your future revenue receipts will be. With Uber this is impossible given that their terms & conditions and prices can and do change without notice. On one hand there is total flexibility on Uber's part to change the deal as they choose or to end the deal with the driver at any time for any reason, and on the other hand the driver has the total inflexibility of a monthly car payment and associated costs such as insurance. It kind of feels like going into a fistfight with one arm tied behind your back.

As far as I can see, this deal only makes sense if you buy a dirt cheap vehicle that also costs as little as possible to run.
My thoughts EXACTLY

michael7227

My thoughts EXACTLY
I agree to a point. You also don't want the car to fail you if and when things start to work out. The idea is to not bankrupt yourself on the car. If Uber goes under and you are left with a car well then it should be a car that you are comfortable in going forward and can finance thru other means (specifically real job). You should still have 6 months living expenses in the bank, if not then you should explore renting until you have that aside. By no means should you buy anything without a solid back up plan.

The cheapest bucket is inviting mechanical problems, possible ratings problems and your comfort spending 7-12 hours in the car.

These issues must be mitigated or you will be miserable.

My two...

K.O.N.Y

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
get the cheapest biggest piece of junk car that qualifies.
I agree to a point. You also don't want the car to fail you if and when things start to work out. The idea is to not bankrupt yourself on the car. If Uber goes under and you are left with a car well then it should be a car that you are comfortable in going forward and can finance thru other means (specifically real job). You should still have 6 months living expenses in the bank, if not then you should explore renting until you have that aside. By no means should you buy anything without a solid back up plan.

The cheapest bucket is inviting mechanical problems, possible ratings problems and your comfort spending 7-12 hours in the car.

These issues must be mitigated or you will be miserable.

My two...
That's the other side of it. A older higher mileage vehicle will lead to future issues. It's like your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't

Yes, unfortunately this is true. I know a guy doing x and pools with QX60. insane!
I swear I'm not trying to be that guy