DONT LIE... how many of you have gaz guzzlers??

RedGMC

I met an ex uber driver who actually was driving an escalade and was actually trying to make ends meet , but had to quit even though he needed some kind of income and it wasnt his fault he had purchased the car at a time when he had a decent full time job. My thought is how many of you folks drive gas guzzlers but still try to make it in the uber-verse??

Thatendedbadly

Escalade would qualify for premium SUV rates in DTW, minimum fare is $25, $16.30 for the driver after Uber's take. I imagine the fares are thinner, careful driving could make it a pretty decent part time gig in these parts, but probably pretty thin at full time rates.

EcoboostMKS

Escalade would qualify for premium SUV rates in DTW, minimum fare is $25, $16.30 for the driver after Uber's take. I imagine the fares are thinner, careful driving could make it a pretty decent part time gig in these parts, but probably pretty thin at full time rates.
Except you need all the livery licensing and insurance along with the car to qualify for those rates. You know, like the ones legitimate and legal drivers pay for? Not of the gypsy variety.

Thatendedbadly

Except you need all the livery licensing and insurance along with the car to qualify for those rates. You know, like the ones legitimate and legal drivers pay for? Not of the gypsy variety.
Dunno. In Michigan the authorities have been treating the 'ride sharing' outfits pretty leniently, there was a keruffle back in February about picking up pax at the airport but I think it was mostly bs. Can't vouch for other areas. On most nights here there are usually a half dozen suvs parked downtown looking for fares along with the half dozen black cars and X's so there has to be some business there for the premium vehicles, can't imagine sitting in a vehicle in the winter waiting for money if there wasn't some potential payoff.

UberIsAScam

I drive a Charger in Orlando. Simply doing it because I'm unemployed due to layoff. I have a M.A. 18 mpg city. Only drive during surge.

CheesyMike

You're totally wrong.
Problem is that Uber eliminated XL and Select option only, because X rates make result in you losing money. This leads to more hassle and wasting your time.

CheesyMike

I met an ex uber driver who actually was driving an escalade and was actually trying to make ends meet , but had to quit even though he needed some kind of income and it wasnt his fault he had purchased the car at a time when he had a decent full time job. My thought is how many of you folks drive gas guzzlers but still try to make it in the uber-verse??
If you are a new driver you are making $.48 a mile, gas guzzler ha that doesn't make driving cost effective even if gas was free.

CheesyMike

I hope all of you that drive in Tampa realize that driving without a 1.5X surge and above loses you money and that you keep the app OFF until you ready to pickup. Keeping the app off leads to surges.

OldsmarUber

I hope all of you that drive in Tampa realize that driving without a 1.5X surge and above loses you money and that you keep the app OFF until you ready to pickup. Keeping the app off leads to surges.
Perhaps you lose money but not everyone. Good luck with your plight.

CheesyMike

Sounds like a personal problem. Don't be upset because you're having an issue where others are not. It makes you look small and petty.
Ok let's go so.
You make $.475 per mile correct?
Gas is $1.72 a gallon and you get no better than 25 miles per gallon correct?
If you drive full time you put on 800 to 1,000 miles a week correct?
You need an oil change every 3 to 4 months correct?
You need to change brake pads or a tire every 3 months correct?
Just gas, mile depreciation and wear and tear eliminates your small profit margin.
Please correct me where I'm wrong.

OldsmarUber

Ok let's go so.
Just gas, mile depreciation and wear and tear eliminates your small profit margin.
None of the above applies to me. Herein lies the problem. If those are your numbers you seriously need to reevaluate your position with uber.

Trebor

Ok let's go so.
A thousand miles a week, you need a oil changed once a month. Even though the manufacturer says 6,500 miles, I do not go above 4,000. Sure, its an added expense, and maybe an extra 0ne, but I have never had any major engine problems and I have had a couple of cars go above 300,000 miles.

If your driving a thousand miles a week, your oil is going to stay warm and therefore burn quicker.

EcoboostMKS

A thousand miles a week, you need a oil changed once a month. Even though the manufacturer says 6,500 miles, I do not go above 4,000. Sure, its an added expense, and maybe an extra 0ne, but I have never had any major engine problems and I have had a couple of cars go above 300,000 miles.

If your driving a thousand miles a week, your oil is going to stay warm and therefore burn quicker.
You're wasting your money changing it every 4k miles if the manufacturer is telling you every 6.5k. If your car is burning oil, your car has a problem. I easily do 1k/week and usually change the oil every 5k miles without burning a drop. If the book told me to change every 8k miles, i'd be changing every 8k miles. And i've had cars get up to 500k miles.

Trebor

Drivers with trucks are insane. You are getting UberX rates. Most of these drivers do not even need a truck and only want a truck out of want. If your day job is construction or other heavy duty type stuff, then I can understand, but if you just have a truck to look cool, your doing UberX wrong. If you really want to do UberX, trade that truck in, trade it in for something less expensive and add a trailer hitch to the back. Even though you may look funny, most cars are rated to tow 1,000 pounds.

CheesyMike

My car only takes synthetic. I've contacted the manufacturer and it's good for 8,000 miles. The only way I make a profit is by netting $1 a mile, which includes dead miles. If I net less than $.75 a mile I am in the hole.
I wish people would do some basic math.