Don't Know If I Should Stop Driving Running Out Of Warranty

mizzrock

This job is great for me in San Francisco area. But I'm coming close to the end of my manufacturer warranty. I have opted for an extended maintenance warranty but I'm currently having a leak fixed for free under manufacturer warranty which won't be active the next time I have a leak.

Everyone on this forum (majority) would comment and say stop driving because market is saturated but I just drive undesirable hours so it's working for me lol.

If it helps I drive a 2013 Ford Focus.

gietno

True, but in other hand if we stop driving while nothing else replacing it (new job) then means no income too.

observer

This job is great for me in San Francisco area. But I'm coming close to the end of my manufacturer warranty. I have opted for an extended maintenance warranty but I'm currently having a leak fixed for free under manufacturer warranty which won't be active the next time I have a leak.

Everyone on this forum (majority) would comment and say stop driving because market is saturated but I just drive undesirable hours so it's working for me lol.

You should be careful with your Ford Focus.

My brother had one, the transmission kept slipping. He took it in 4-5 times. The trans and replacement was like 3-4K. Ford kept fixing it, then they wanted to give him an 800 rebate to stop him from coming back.

He sued Ford under the lemon law, Ford wound up taking the car back and paying off the loan and his payments made, plus a little more.

Be careful, without warranty you could be looking at a major repair bill.

Last edited:

observer

Wow, good to know about this car ^^.

Yea, Ford transmissions have had problems since the '80's, they used to have a lot of problems with heads too.

I used to work at one of the biggest auto wreckers in the world (30k cars per month scrapped). So I used to see hundreds of thousands of vehicles scrapped and learned what was good and not so good.

observer

San Francisco roads are absolutely brutal

Yes, and like SF, the area where my brother lives has a lot of hills. That is where transmission slipped the most. Dealership said that the slippage was normal. But, sometimes going uphill, the car would actually slow down and if stopped would roll back just a little before catching and then drive forward.

Another Uber Driver

I'm currently having a leak fixed for free under manufacturer warranty

What is leaking on your Focus?

Everyone must remember that when you put a vehicle into this kind of service, things are going to wear out faster and more frequently. This means that you must perform routine maintenance more frequently. If you hear a rattle or some other funny noise, have it attended to immediately (no one is driving slant six Chryslers anymore).

Cab drivers replace parts on their cars that half the mechanics out there never even knew existed. ......and I refer to real mechanics, not these wrench-turners, part-replacers and rip-off artists.

rtaatl

2013 is the early rendition of the dual clutch transmissions and people were having problems with them, especially when subjected to a lot of stop and go traffic.

mizzrock

You should be careful with your Ford Focus.

My brother had one, the transmission kept slipping. He took it in 4-5 times. The trans and replacement was like 3-4K. Ford kept fixing it, then they wanted to give him an 800 rebate to stop him from coming back.

He sued Ford under the lemon law, Ford wound up taking the car back and paying off the loan and his payments made, plus a little more.

Be careful, without warranty you could be looking at a major repair bill.
I've heard about that, luckily I brought a manual transmission.

mizzrock

What is leaking on your Focus?

Everyone must remember that when you put a vehicle into this kind of service, things are going to wear out faster and more frequently. This means that you must perform routine maintenance more frequently. If you hear a rattle or some other funny noise, have it attended to immediately (no one is driving slant six Chryslers anymore).

Cab drivers replace parts on their cars that half the mechanics out there never even knew existed. ......and I refer to real mechanics, not these wrench-turners, part-replacers and rip-off artists.
My brake fliud / master cylinder because wetness was found on the cylinder.

merkurfan

Ford just announced they are extending the warranty to 7/100 on the transmission. The transmission you have is a computer shifted 6 speed manual transmission. That is why it will sometimes roll backwards before going. The slipping is the actual clutch slipping. Ask your dealer about this, they should know about it. I just learned of this this week because I am thinking about replacing my 05 focus with a newer one.

mizzrock

Ford just announced they are extending the warranty to 7/100 on the transmission. The transmission you have is a computer shifted 6 speed manual transmission. That is why it will sometimes roll backwards before going. The slipping is the actual clutch slipping. Ask your dealer about this, they should know about it. I just learned of this this week because I am thinking about replacing my 05 focus with a newer one.
IMG_20140922_164132:nopm:.jpg

Manual

merkurfan

5 speed manual..

The "automatics" are "manuals" that a computer operates. The driver "thinks" it's an automatic and it is. But it's a computer running the clutch and gear shiftier. until recently this type of transmission was common in big trucks. They where called ultra shifts. They did this because the manual trucks where more reliable had more gear options and easier to maintain. The problem was the steering wheel holders corporations where putting in the trucks had no idea how to operate a 10-18 speed truck.

KGB7

Sell your car locally(on Craigslist), then buy a newer car that is more reliable. Accord, Camry, Maxima. TDI or Hybrid.

observer

They offered this to my brother but I believe it added only 30K miles to the warranty.

What happens after 100K miles when transmission fails? Most reliable vehicles powertrain lasts over 200K miles.

The dealer did know about it and kept saying it was normal. But, when they put it on their computer it kept coming back with a fault code and a couple times replaced a part on it (same part twice).

The reason my brother didn't like it is because going up hill the transmission would disengage and he would lose power for a couple seconds. He felt it was unsafe.

Ford would not take the car back until he got a lawyer.

merkurfan

It's part of the effort to choke as many MPGs out of the car as they can. They tried CVTs and those failed. Now they are having problems with these. I don't blame you for being worried about the car, if the warranty has been extended you have that going for you, even if it's only a 30,000 more miles. trade it in on something else (likely not a ford :wink: ) but most cars are built with a life expectancy of 100 to 130K.. Anything past that is not good for car sales :wink: