1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Don't fiddle with stuff

Discussion in 'Advice' started by MadTownUberD, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:31 AM.

1. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    The other night I found myself in hellacious downtown rush hour traffic, possibly due to a train I was still ignorant of. Got a DF pickup a few blocks NE of the capitol going to a cool looking pub towards the airport, ish.

I asked the pax if he wanted to take Johnson or East Wash...he didn't care...so I took East Wash per the navigation. Boy was that a mistake.

Suddenly my Pandora / Bluetooth cut out. Normally it's an easy fix; I just have to swipe down, diable Bluetooth, re-enable it, etc. However this time it took a couple of tries.

While I was fiddling I got honked at, even though no one was going anywhere quickly due to the traffic. Later there was an apparent red light which was actually a train that resulted in my car getting stuck in the middle of an intersection while the light turned green for cross traffic. Not good, so I pulled off to the side and out of the intersection.

We were almost to the destination when I was unable to proceed through a green light due to a police car chasing another one through a red light. Again I got honked at by the guy behind me who apparently would have preferred to get smeared across the intersection.

Pretty sure this was the pax who 4*'d me this week. So, while not all these events were my fault, the fiddling at the beginning probably contributed to his discontent and possibly frazzled me for the rest of the trip. For example, I shouldn't have entered the intersection I got "stuck" in, even though everyone was crawling. Had I been scanning far down the road I would have seen the train or evidence of it.

In the future when Bluetooth cuts out during a trip I am simply going to switch to the radio and focus on the basics. I typically get burned when I don't focus on the basics. And because I'm driving less and less I don't have as much "practice"...it's easy to get rusty with regard to driving rush hour.

Screenshot_2018-11-09-06-19-11-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-09-06-19-25-1.png

2. JimKE

JimKE

One suggestion on Pandora. Get Premium and download your favorite playlists to your phone so you can use Pandora offline. That completely eliminates all the annoying outages.

Uber Crack and MadTownUberD like this.
  3. MHR

MHR Moderator

I have a few “safe” radio stations programmed just for this event.

One weekend, every time I got a ping, my Amazon music just stopped playing (my list are downloaded to my phone, it was jacking the Bluetooth connection). I was getting stacked pings so there would be dead silence after accepting the ping. I figured out quickly afterwards that it was better to just hit a preprogrammed radio station than try to mess with the phone with pax in car.

4. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    The Pandora was playing because I could see the time advancing in the song. There is just something wrong between my phone and my Bluetooth to radio adapter.

5. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    I use Apple car play. For uber navigation I use waze which displays on my car screen. Occasionally something will go wrong with Amazon Music (not often just every once in a while.) If a try to bring up Amazon Music (Apple Car Play) to fix it then I also lose my navigation while screwing with music. I cannot switch to the radio or I go out of Apple car play and lose navigation display.

I have learned not to try fixing it while a pax is in the car. It really is distracting to fix it and drive at the same time. Therefore, it is no music until I drop off. Then usually it is a quick fix once stopped.

Uber Crack and MadTownUberD like this.
  6. DocT

DocT Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    When my radio goes out in dead areas, I just let it go and drive in silence or put on my playlist. No point in risking a distraction for a potential accident or citation.

Uber Crack, MadTownUberD and Seamus like this.
  7. I often loose my Amazon Music due to dead spots.

Many times I don't even realize it.

When I do I sometimes try to get it going again, but I use a second phone for it which is down low.
    If they're in the front seat I wont even try.
    If they're in the back seat they cant see where my hand is due to the high center console.

But I also don't mind driving in silence.

Seamus and Uber Crack like this.
  8. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I knew you were the type of guy who likes the "keep it on the down low" culture.

Cableguynoe likes this.
  9. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    I would never fiddle with my radio or my GPS in busy rush hour traffic.

10. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    Get XM Radio, cheapies....

As Uber Drivers, we all have this extra income lying around to afford such nice luxuries, right???

(Okay, it may just be me then...)

Jay Dean likes this.
  11. XM is so 2005.

If it's not using data it's garbage.

Merc7186 and HotUberMess like this.
  12. MHR

MHR Moderator

I had XM but didn’t renew it thanks to CableguynoeCableguynoe pointing out one day that if you had Amazon prime you had Amazon music as well.

Couldn’t justify the cost when I had an already paid for option.

Cableguynoe and Jay Dean like this.
  13. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

I’ve had xm for 3 years, once contract nears I call them and say to cancel and they always just give me 6 months for 30bucks, been that way for years now, matter fact December is coming need to call them again soon, iPad always let’s me know when to call and say to cancel LOL

Merc7186 and MHR like this.
  14. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

When driving I usually keep it on a local station mix 94.7 because it is all around neutral and enjoyable to all, even drove a person that worked there one time and she asked, do you like this station? I said, it is just easy, it’s perfect because it does not cause any real moods and most the songs are not bad.

I have noticed all females all sing or hum Shawn Mendes songs when they play, never fails lol, I don’t like them, but I don’t dislike them, but they all sing his songs and whatever makes the ride easy and happy works for me, for making money doing this it works and have had a 4.99 on lyft forever lol, and that station has to be a big reason for its playlist of easy to listen to music. If you have a simliar station, this will make driving easier, I swear lol.

If it’s a couple I usually put it on Austin city limits radio 93.3 because it pretty much rocks, so it’s local radio for me first, if either cut to commercial, it’s usually pop2k or xmu on XM (which never plays bad indie music)

So my rythum is vanilla music, to cooler music to indie music that rocks. I never play anything edgy at all or what I May like, nobody cares and most only want simple music to listen to when they are going where they want.

This has been my experience and so far it works lol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    MHR likes this.
  15. I find it's best to not play music while passengers are in the car. Unless they request it, or you can tell they really, really want you to.

I find that the majority of people want to talk to you, or each other, and if not, they want quiet.

In 3000 trips, I think I've had maybe 6-8 people ask for music. IMO the problems you avoid by not having music, while passengers are in the car, far outweigh the potential benefits.

Gilby likes this.
  16. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Too awkward not to have something going on lol, need that buffer zone personally, silence with strangers in the car is too much even after 5k rides, but that is me

As for conversations after thousands of conversations that never really went anywhere once ride ended, I can’t find the point anymore, unless someone really wants to talk...and then ride is over and then I never see them again. This has to be the only gig people feel compelled to talk to strangers they know they won’t see again. Music to me just cuts the bs and gets to point of what they want and for me to make my money

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:29 PM
    MHR likes this.
  17. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    I almost always drive in silence. It's what I prefer. If a rider wants a particular radio station, they're welcome to handle it themselves, as long as it's not too loud.

I had a bad experience with Sirius XM a few years ago, and I won't do business with them.

They sent me a renewal notice, and I renewed promptly after that. But they chopped off the remaining month and a half of my subscription. I called them to complain and asked them to fix it. They agreed to, and then they didnt do it.

Everything I receive from them immediately goes into the trash unopened.

Christine

18. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    How are your ratings from driving in silence? I'm always hesitant to have dead silence.

19. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm somewhere north of 4.9.

But I mostly drive in the daytime, so it might not be a fair comparison. And I drive a car that people often mistake for new, even though it's a 2010. (And that's in daylight...)

Christine

JLaw1719 and MadTownUberD like this.
  20. whiskeyboat

whiskeyboat

Driving:
    UberX
    good advise MadTown, lesson learned

MadTownUberD likes this.