Don't carry young children without a car seat

Garbage Plate

Good info. Had a mom and 5 year old take a ride. No car seat. I had no clue what NY law was since my kids are mostly grown. Not worth the risk. A ticket would be bad but an accident would be a disaster. Ride is getting cancelled next time. If I'm reading the law correctly a booster seat with a seat belt for a child under 8 works, and a child under 4 if he weighs more than 40 pounds. Any one carry a booster seat in their trunk?

ROCuberguy585

This should be filled under "well duh" but it's surprising how many b drivers still do it. Uber says "obey the law" with a wink and a nod but is happy to look the other way and collect fares from less than legal rides. They'll do that then completely throw you under the bus when the police catch you. As I rule I won't take children without a seat, more riders than I have seatbelts, unaccompanied minors or allow open containers. Don't let them guilt you. With the child seat it's the parents responsibility to provide it, not the driver's and in all these cases they are violating Uber's TOS by asking you to violate the law. Refuse the ride, report them even but just don't expect a pat on the back (or even a cancellation fee in most cases) from Uber. Your sole reward is avoiding costly tickets and deactivation.

ShinyAndChrome

Good info. Had a mom and 5 year old take a ride. No car seat. I had no clue what NY law was since my kids are mostly grown. Not worth the risk. A ticket would be bad but an accident would be a disaster. Ride is getting cancelled next time. If I'm reading the law correctly a booster seat with a seat belt for a child under 8 works, and a child under 4 if he weighs more than 40 pounds. Any one carry a booster seat in their trunk?
I have a booster in the trunk for my youngest, but I've never been asked yet to drive a kid that was even that young.

Good thread, though. From now on cancel if you show up and no seat.

Merc7186

I carry one in my car for my 7 year old but am not offering it up. Had two rides so far with small children, one provided their own, the other one told that it was okay....I eventually convinced them to cancel and got my $$.

ROCuberguy585

I carry one in my car for my 7 year old but am not offering it up. Had two rides so far with small children, one provided their own, the other one told that it was okay....I eventually convinced them to cancel and got my $$.
Absolutely! I wouldn't let them use my kids stuff either. What if they damage it or have an "accident" in it. It technically isn't part of your car, I'm not 100% sure Uber will reimburse you to replace or clean it. Parents should be aware of the law and be prepared. I understand you might not have one because you don't drive but that won't keep me from a ticket/deactivation. You plan on Ubering with your kids get one somehow. If you can afford to take Uber over the bus you can scrap together money for av gently used one. I also don't listen to "it's just a mile or two" or "the last driver did it" for any situation where I've told a rider I won't take them (like 3 or 4 trips out of +160). That last driver was an idiot I won't make his mistake.

ShinyAndChrome

Absolutely! I wouldn't let them use my kids stuff either. What if they damage it or have an "accident" in it. It technically isn't part of your car, I'm not 100% sure Uber will reimburse you to replace or clean it. Parents should be aware of the law and be prepared. I understand you might not have one because you don't drive but that won't keep me from a ticket/deactivation. You plan on Ubering with your kids get one somehow. If you can afford to take Uber over the bus you can scrap together money for av gently used one. I also don't listen to "it's just a mile or two" or "the last driver did it" for any situation where I've told a rider I won't take them (like 3 or 4 trips out of +160). That last driver was an idiot I won't make his mistake.
"The last driver did it" is something I expect to hear more of in the future. I am implementing a no excess capacity rule with no leeway, effective immediately. A lot of people try and squeeze more in an XL than they should, and when that happens I believe my insurance is totally void for that trip. The potential ticket is the least of my concerns.