Don't be late for a Uber!

tripAces

https://beta.finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-late-fee-rides-173837686.html?noRedirect=1

Its a short article but Uber is trying in certain markets a "late fee" or a way for drivers to "start the meter".
Dallas as well as other markets are mentioned to get the test.

But 2 things right away that comes up. If driver's are able to "start the meter" then a rider can rate you. :oopsies:
Also what keeps driver's from abusing the system like some did to the cancellation fee.

But I guess all in all Uber is trying something. So why not just do away with the bias rating system.

Oh they try but in the end driver's will take the hit one way or the other.

itsablackmarket

I think it's interesting how Uber is continually copying Lyft.

- Lyft started this model where anyone with a car could drive. Uber was limo companies only.
- Lyft began the trend of entering markets illegally
- Lyft began the power driver bonus
- Lyft was the first to stand firmly against certain city mandated regulations.

All they've been doing is copying Lyft.

As the mayor said, the right time to bring up the issue with fingerprinting was back in 2014. Lyft said they would leave, and they were good on their word. Uber stayed because of greed, and now we're in a tough spot because of Uber not standing firm alongside Lyft due to their greed. Thanks Uber.

HotRodriguez75

https://beta.finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-late-fee-rides-173837686.html?noRedirect=1

Its a short article but Uber is trying in certain markets a "late fee" or a way for drivers to "start the meter".
Dallas as well as other markets are mentioned to get the test.

But 2 things right away that comes up. If driver's are able to "start the meter" then a rider can rate you. :oopsies:
Also what keeps driver's from abusing the system like some did to the cancellation fee.

But I guess all in all Uber is trying something. So why not just do away with the bias rating system.

Oh they try but in the end driver's will take the hit one way or the other.
I think this is basically reintroducing the cancellation fee where Uber gets more of the cut and the driver gets shafted with a bad rating for not waiting for the PAX that thinks paying $.10 per minute is a lot of money. Prior, Uber would not get the booking fee for cancellations. In this case since the trip starts, Uber would get the booking fee plus the %. For me it comes does to $2.67 for a minimum $5 fare or $4.00 when cancellations were in effect.

Uber is trying to entice drivers to wait longer but also scare them into waiting since there rating will be affected.

As far as abuse, Uber does not have controls as to where arrival is confirmed automatically or early. Regardless, if a system is broke, it will be abused and is already abused daily by riders and drivers.

Kmiles

I was in NYC or Chicago - I forgot - but was hit with an automatic $2 cancelation fee after canceling an UberPool I ordered by accident. I didn't make a stink but that's just a slap on the pax hand to not order trips.

I'm for these fees but if all Uber is going to do is side with the pax and refund them, they're pointless. Stop threatening drivers with deactivation for canceling. The pax will eventually get some sucker who will bow down and wait 10 minutes, for a 5 minute trip.

I cancel, fee, pax complains.
I cancel, NO fee, pax complains.

You can't win as a driver.

Last edited: