• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Don’t Put Your Gig Economy Experience on Your Resume

2DC4679A-0FDB-4976-B3C4-306733D23069.jpeg

Did you put your Uber Driving experience on your resume? You probably shouldn’t.

It might seem logical to put your Uber driving experience on your resume; after all, it is an honorable, regulated profession in most markets. There is nothing in it that you need to be ashamed of. But, will it hurt your chances of landing the job you’re applying for?

Unfortunately, it might, but not for the reasons you think. Some people in our society might look down on Uber drivers as some type of illiterate lumpen, and it is tempting to think that is the reason those who make hiring decisions might not want to hire us. While that may be true, more often, that’s usually not the case.

If you are sitting in front of the hiring manager / potential employer, doing an interview and you tell them about your rideshare driving experience, they might actually admire the fact that you’re the type of person who takes responsibility for their life and doesn’t just wait for things to happen to them; and that you actually are the type of person who considers themselves in charge of their own destiny.... and, believe it or not, that is exactly why they will not hire you. Before you dismiss this out-of-hand, let me explain:

When a company is interviewing a prospective employee, they’re looking for more than just someone who can do the job. They’re also looking for someone who will be devoted, heart and soul, to the company. Someone who will even put up with the employer’s bullocks if it comes down to that. They’re looking for someone who will pretty-much be totally dependent on “The Company” for their sustenance and paying their bills. But if they know you are a rideshare driver, or for that matter, you’re a participant in any form of the Gig Economy, they will look at you as someone who always has ‘one foot out the door’. And all you need is a good reason to take your other foot also out the door and be gone, and the hiring process starts anew.

Now in this day and age, you might think that no one takes employee loyalty seriously. We might even contemptuously say: “Employee loyalty? What’s that? Does it taste like chicken? Company man? Oh that was something my Grandfather was back-in-the-day. Please! Nobody does that now.” Oh you would be surprised how corporations and small businesses are still expecting great loyalty from their employees, even if, quite often, they really don’t give their employees any good reason to stay loyal to them.

One member of this esteemed forum related what happened when he applied for a pizza delivery job. He told the prospective employer that he also drives for UberEATS, DoorDash, etc.; but the pizza-shop owner outright refused to hire him, even though our comrade assured the owner that when he’s doing the shop’s work delivering pizzas, his delivery app is off. But it wasn’t enough. Why would that be? Simple: because that employer assumed that our comrade would have “one foot out the door.”

And you have to admit that is technically true. Since driving for Uber or Lyft, or doing any other kind of Gig Economy work, do you find that you put up with nonsense at your real job a lot less than you used to? That’s not coincidental. That’s because you know you have an out that your coworkers who don’t participate in the Gig Economy don’t have. And employers knows it too.

My employer, a school-bus contractor for the city of Toronto, knows that I drive for Uber on the side. They probably don’t like the fact that I’m doing other driving work (which impacts my Hours Of Service [you commercial vehicle drivers know what I’m taking about]). But there is a crushing shortage of school bus drivers, and no one is banging down their office door to apply for this job. That’s why they’re not going to put up resistance to anyone having a side job apart from their own work. And besides, school-bus driving is a part-time job that simply cannot pay anyone’s bills in an expensive place like the Greater Toronto Area.

But other employers that pay considerably better with nicer jobs might not be as forgiving. I sent in a resume for a good paying, bus-driving job at one of the local universities; and I made the mistake of putting my Uber driving experience on it. I even included that I was a highly rated driver with lots of customer experience, and that I’ve been doing it as a sideline for a number of years. Of course I also included my spotless driver’s abstract and the fact that I have a number of years experience driving large school-buses as well. I never heard back from them at all. At first I couldn’t understand why. I had everything they wanted; but, thinking back on it now, they probably saw me as someone with ‘one foot out the door’.

If possible, don’t even let your current employer know that you’re working on the side as a rideshare driver or any other type of Gig Economy self-employment, or even another part-time job on the weekend. True; some employers / hiring managers will admire the work-ethic of anyone who would choose to get in their car and take drunk people home on Saturday night instead being one of those drunk people themselves or simply staying home and watching the telly. And to be honest, rideshare driving really does require a good work ethic to be able to last in it. But unfortunately, not all employment decision makers think that way; and you simply don’t know the attitude of the person making the hiring decision when your resume lands on their desk. If you can, simply leave it out.

There’s also another thing to keep in mind. Allot of the people in HR at the bigger companies, especially the men, are beta personality types. To do any kind of livery work, you have to have a dominant, alpha or sigma personality. The ladies who also do this type of work have a dominant personality too. And beta types always feel intimidated by alpha personalities. You’ve probably observed this when a male, corporate type rides with you in your car.

In the interest of fairness, I did message a few people on LinkedIn who listed their profession as Human Resources executives; and out of all the messages I sent, only three got back to me. Those three persons indicated that being an Uber driver would be neither here nor there to them, which I have to admit is a pleasant surprise. But then, there’s the majority who did not reply to me. I have nothing to indicate what they think and, for them, I would just assume the worst attitude.

But what if you’re a full-time driver and you simply can’t explain away that period in your resume? In that case, do not put “to present” if you must include it. Put an end date of at least a few months ago. If they ask you about it, downplay it as much as possible and make sure you give the impression that diminishing earnings and rising vehicle maintenance costs had made it become a waste of time and that you’ve moved on. And let’s be honest, comrades: rideshare driving really is starting to become a waste of time these days.

No one should ever feel ashamed of doing an honest job; and in a perfect world, you should feel proud to put any type of decent work you’ve done down on your resume with pride. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world; and there are stuck-up people out there who wouldn’t know an honest, decent job if it came up and gave them a good smack in the face. And even in this day of precarious employment and Millennials who refuse to stay in a job more than two or three years if they are not moving up, there are still employer’s out there who for some reason, think you should devote your entire life and being to their bottom line regardless of the pittance they pay. They live among us.

Uber on, comrades; Uber on.

Comments

Piloto

View attachment 282931

Did you put your Uber Driving experience on your resume? You probably shouldn’t.

It might seem logical to put your Uber driving experience on your resume; after all, it is an honorable, regulated profession in most markets. There is nothing in it that you need to be ashamed of. But, will it hurt your chances of landing the job you’re applying for?

Unfortunately, it might, but not for the reasons you think. Some people in our society might look down on Uber drivers as some type of illiterate lumpen, and it is tempting to think that is the reason those who make hiring decisions might not want to hire us. While that may be true, more often, that’s usually not the case.

If you are sitting in front of the hiring manager / potential employer, doing an interview and you tell them about your rideshare driving experience, they might actually admire the fact that you’re the type of person who takes responsibility for their life and doesn’t just wait for things to happen to them; and that you actually are the type of person who considers themselves in charge of their own destiny.... and, believe it or not, that is exactly why they will not hire you. Before you dismiss this out-of-hand, let me explain:

When a company is interviewing a prospective employee, they’re looking for more than just someone who can do the job. They’re also looking for someone who will be devoted, heart and soul, to the company. Someone who will even put up with the employer’s bullocks if it comes down to that. They’re looking for someone who will pretty-much be totally dependent on “The Company” for their sustenance and paying their bills. But if they know you are a rideshare driver, or for that matter, you’re a participant in any form of the Gig Economy, they will look at you as someone who always has ‘one foot out the door’. And all you need is a good reason to take your other foot also out the door and be gone, and the hiring process starts anew.

Now in this day and age, you might think that no one takes employee loyalty seriously. We might even contemptuously say: “Employee loyalty? What’s that? Does it taste like chicken? Company man? Oh that was something my Grandfather was back-in-the-day. Please! Nobody does that now.” Oh you would be surprised how corporations and small businesses are still expecting great loyalty from their employees, even if, quite often, they really don’t give their employees any good reason to stay loyal to them.

One member of this esteemed forum related what happened when he applied for a pizza delivery job. He told the prospective employer that he also drives for UberEATS, DoorDash, etc.; but the pizza-shop owner outright refused to hire him, even though our comrade assured the owner that when he’s doing the shop’s work delivering pizzas, his delivery app is off. But it wasn’t enough. Why would that be? Simple: because that employer assumed that our comrade would have “one foot out the door.”

And you have to admit that is technically true. Since driving for Uber or Lyft, or doing any other kind of Gig Economy work, do you find that you put up with nonsense at your real job a lot less than you used to? That’s not coincidental. That’s because you know you have an out that your coworkers who don’t participate in the Gig Economy don’t have. And employers knows it too.

My employer, a school-bus contractor for the city of Toronto, knows that I drive for Uber on the side. They probably don’t like the fact that I’m doing other driving work (which impacts my Hours Of Service [you commercial vehicle drivers know what I’m taking about]). But there is a crushing shortage of school bus drivers, and no one is banging down their office door to apply for this job. That’s why they’re not going to put up resistance to anyone having a side job apart from their own work. And besides, school-bus driving is a part-time job that simply cannot pay anyone’s bills in an expensive place like the Greater Toronto Area.

But other employers that pay considerably better with nicer jobs might not be as forgiving. I sent in a resume for a good paying, bus-driving job at one of the local universities; and I made the mistake of putting my Uber driving experience on it. I even included that I was a highly rated driver with lots of customer experience, and that I’ve been doing it as a sideline for a number of years. Of course I also included my spotless driver’s abstract and the fact that I have a number of years experience driving large school-buses as well. I never heard back from them at all. At first I couldn’t understand why. I had everything they wanted; but, thinking back on it now, they probably saw me as someone with ‘one foot out the door’.

If possible, don’t even let your current employer know that you’re working on the side as a rideshare driver or any other type of Gig Economy self-employment, or even another part-time job on the weekend. True; some employers / hiring managers will admire the work-ethic of anyone who would choose to get in their car and take drunk people home on Saturday night instead being one of those drunk people themselves or simply staying home and watching the telly. And to be honest, rideshare driving really does require a good work ethic to be able to last in it. But unfortunately, not all employment decision makers think that way; and you simply don’t know the attitude of the person making the hiring decision when your resume lands on their desk. If you can, simply leave it out.

There’s also another thing to keep in mind. Allot of the people in HR at the bigger companies, especially the men, are beta personality types. To do any kind of livery work, you have to have a dominant, alpha or sigma personality. The ladies who also do this type of work have a dominant personality too. And beta types always feel intimidated by alpha personalities. You’ve probably observed this when a male, corporate type rides with you in your car.

In the interest of fairness, I did message a few people on LinkedIn who listed their profession as Human Resources executives; and out of all the messages I sent, only three got back to me. Those three persons indicated that being an Uber driver would be neither here nor there to them, which I have to admit is a pleasant surprise. But then, there’s the majority who did not reply to me. I have nothing to indicate what they think and, for them, I would just assume the worst attitude.

But what if you’re a full-time driver and you simply can’t explain away that period in your resume? In that case, do not put “to present” if you must include it. Put an end date of at least a few months ago. If they ask you about it, downplay it as much as possible and make sure you give the impression that diminishing earnings and rising vehicle maintenance costs had made it become a waste of time and that you’ve moved on. And let’s be honest, comrades: rideshare driving really is starting to become a waste of time these days.

No one should ever feel ashamed of doing an honest job; and in a perfect world, you should feel proud to put any type of decent work you’ve done down on your resume with pride. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world; and there are stuck-up people out there who wouldn’t know an honest, decent job if it came up and gave them a good smack in the face. And even in this day of precarious employment and Millennials who refuse to stay in a job more than two or three years if they are not moving up, there are still employer’s out there who for some reason, think you should devote your entire life and being to their bottom line regardless of the pittance they pay. They live among us.

Uber on, comrades; Uber on.
Thank you for your great advice.

DrivingForYou

Of course it should go on the resume - it all depends how you spin it.

Here's my resume entry:

2017-present: Owner/Operator of AntCo, an independent transportation service provider.
  • Used advanced technologies for scheduling transportation services.
  • Directly interfaced with customers to provide an enhanced customer experience.
  • Developed business strategies to optimize profit per hour and minimize cost per mile.
  • Scheduled and performed maintenance on motor vehicles.
  • Obtained permits and licensing for compliance with government regulations.
  • Initiated passenger education programs to improve customer relations and help customers in the correct use of the scheduling system.
  • Identified key locations of vehicle placement for maximum utilization of assets.
Now of course being an Alpha (or Omega) male, I always bypass HR completely.

HR is for ants.

Last edited:

Yam Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am sure my experience is not normal but when my boss realized I was Uber driving he asked me about how much I made. Naturally I inflated the number. I was already "foot out the door" and they didn't like that I said I was making more driving. They now pay me $20/hour so I don't quit and drive full time.
There’s no hard and fast rule to this. In your case, they valued you and were afraid of losing you to the Gig Economy. But at another employer, they might not consider us for a promotion since they don’t think we’re all that loyal to the company.

You have to be able to sense how your employer would respond to knowing about your side gig. In your case, it worked in your favour.

A prospective employer on the other hand, is different. You really don’t know how they feel about it; Thus, it’s wise not go let them know, at least, not till you’ve proven your worth.

Last edited:

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Great read man. I will heed this advice.

"No one should ever feel ashamed of doing an honest job; and in a perfect world, you should feel proud to put any type of decent work you’ve done down on your resume with pride. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world; "

This story about work and dignity, back in September is quite telling: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45411561

Mista T

Author
Your essay has truth in it.

I have experienced additional challenges over the years, as I have been an IC in one form or another since 1990. From time to time I search for 'real' jobs. A few years ago a recruiter explained that former ICs and former business owners are frowned upon in the 'real' world, because they are accustomed to being the decision maker. Employers want a 'yes-man', who will do things their way without trying to make improvements (we all see how Uber could improve, yes?). Uber drivers have too much freedom, in that we can decide when to work and which jobs to blow off. Bad habits from an employers perspective.

Dammit Mazzacane

To the article writer, would it not be plausible that a hiring company for a commercial driving service would not want the risk of an accident on rideshare marring your spotless driving abstract? It would have an impact on their insurance, for example.

One other thought: other income you’re bringing in may affect your salary negotiations.

Yam Digger

This story about work and dignity, back in September is quite telling: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45411561
“A” listers like Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman who can get back-to-back roles are the exception in the acting business. Most actors, including well known ones, often go awhile, sometimes years, without an acting role. It’s a feast-and-famine occupation; usually with lots of famine. An actor needs to have a backup occupation to fall back on during the dry times. Do you remember the boy from the movie E.T. that alien lived with? He’s a full grown man now and works as a letter sorter for the US Postal Service.

It’s absolutely disgusting that the Daily Mail and other gawkers would look down on a man for doing an honest days work for an honest days pay. Would they prefer he went on welfare?
a recruiter explained that former ICs and former business owners are frowned upon in the 'real' world, because they are accustomed to being the decision maker. Employers want a 'yes-man', who will do things their way without trying to make improvements.
That’s it right there. You nailed it!
would it not be plausible that a hiring company for a commercial driving service would not want the risk of an accident on rideshare marring your spotless driving abstract? It would have an impact on their insurance
Most Commercial vehicle operators have commercial fleet insurance. An at fault accident in a commercial vehicle belonging to fleet owner doesn’t usually show up in drivers personal insurance …well, at least it hasn’t shown up in mine.

Commercial vehicle drivers go through more than the usual driver training, and some companies, like my employer, will have regular meetings with all drivers to discuss safe driving techniques and other issues.

When I drive, my emphasis isn’t about reaching there quickly; it’s about reaching there safely. Speaking of Morgan Freeman, Mrs. Yam Digger usually complains about my ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ driving. I’m so used to cautious driving in the school bus that it carries over to my personal driving.

DexNex

So much in this post/article. I don't even know where to begin.

How about this, I clear well over $100,000.00 USD per year, which is probably more than most Hiring Managers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dammit Mazzacane

Most Commercial vehicle operators have commercial fleet insurance. An at fault accident in a commercial vehicle belonging to fleet owner doesn’t usually show up in drivers personal insurance …well, at least it hasn’t shown up in mine.
Your reply doesn’t consider my question.

Here is a personal experience: I knew a guy and pitched him honestly for a driver position at my company. The driving manager said their insurance would increase their rates if they hired my friend because of his DUI that I disclosed. I perceive driving crashes on a record would have a similar negative impact on a company’s ability to insure you.
Disclosing you drive for Uber could result in a hiring manager seeing this as a heightened risk that your driving record might get damaged by a crash thus raising their insurance. Do you disagree?

Yam Digger

So much in this post/article.
For example…?
How about this, I clear well over $100,000.00 USD per year, which is probably more than most Hiring Managers.
Doing what exactly? Is it a legal endeavour?
Disclosing you drive for Uber could result in a hiring manager seeing this as a heightened risk that your driving record might get damaged by a crash thus raising their insurance. Do you disagree?
What matters is the drivers abstract. Not what kind of driving they’re doing. Driving for a living is driving for a living regardless of whether the vehicle is a car, Truck, or bus. The abstract is what tells the tale. I’ve been Uber driving for 4 years. My abstract is clean. That’s all that matters.

The reason your friend’s DUI conviction red-flagged him was because a DUI indicates dire lack of good judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrinkSoda

Several years ago I got laid off from my last job working in sales/marketing. I had signed up for Uber several weeks before that day. I had a feeling something was coming (change in mgt, not involved in decisions, etc). So I started doing Uber full time for a little over a year. This was when money was still good. Of course it gave me the flexibility to use the times I wasn’t driving to work on my job search which is a full time job in itself. I had put driving for Uber on my resume. I highlighted more of what I accomplished vs what I actually did. Anybody can list bullet points (driver passengers to work, school, airport, etc). I made x number of dollars weekly/monthly/quarterly while providing quality and safe service. Ultimately I landed a job in accounts receivable and have worked my way up into an account executive role. I still do Uber on the side from time to time when my schedule permits.

Uber did serve as a stop-gap between jobs. Sure I put a lot of miles and incurred a lot of maintenance expenses on my car but it led me to my current position. And you learn a lot about yourself in the process.

Resumes aren’t about what you do/did. It’s about what you accomplished and how did you contribute to the growth and bottom line of a company.

DexNex

For example…?

Doing what exactly? Is it a legal endeavour?

What matters is the drivers abstract. Not what kind of driving they’re doing. Driving for a living is driving for a living regardless of whether the vehicle is a car, Truck, or bus. The abstract is what tells the tale. I’ve been Uber driving for 4 years. My abstract is clean. That’s all that matters.

The reason your friend’s DUI conviction red-flagged him was because a DUI indicates dire lack of good judgement.
I drive.

D713

This isn’t just UBER, it’s any side business. I once had a founder of an energy firm offer me a position contingent on me selling my real estate company. I politely declined.

On the flip side, there are lots of executives that love this stuff.

Yam Digger

On the flip side, there are lots of executives that love this stuff.
Some employers like the idea of having a get-up-and-go type on their staff. But others are very closed minded to an employee having any kind of independence outside their job. The problem is, we don’t usually know the attitude of the person who will be reviewing the resume.

BillC

Since driving for Uber or Lyft, or doing any other kind of Gig Economy work, do you find that you put up with nonsense at your real job a lot less than you used to?

Absolutely not. I put up with the same ever-increasing BS as usual. Uber is only part time for me, weekend nights. I need health insurance. I want to continue contributing to my 401K. I like getting paid to not work (very good PTO allowance at my company).

That said, If I were to to leave (or get kicked out of) my company, I don't plan on telling a prospective manager that I drive for Uber until my 90 day probationary period has been successfully passed.

Trebor

It all depends on the job you are applying for. That job that didn't call you back probably had a number of reasons why they didn't call you back. Heck, they probably didn't get around to reading your resume.

If you are called back, make sure you spin it as it was to help you pay for the bills and what not and make it seem like you are done driving once you get the job. Many jobs do not like moonlighters for the simple fact that they may need you to work longer than usual. If you have another job, that will interfere with your duties. Hell, I would even say, I can start in 2 weeks so I can give Uber my 2 week notice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Boston 0
L Philadelphia 3
BurgerTiime Advice 46