• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Domestic violence

Bobbyk5487

So what do you do if you witness domestic violence during a trip? I ask this because it have been a few time where I have witnessed couples get a little rough with each other and I wasn't sure of what to do.
Last night I picked up a young lady who was beat black and blue and her boyfriend destroyed her car with a bat ...it made me feel helpless as a man to just drive her to safety collect my money and move on to the next trip...but that's what I did. Is it even anything we can do is these situations?

Bobbyk5487

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes and no. Yes in that you could report it to the police. No in that it's in your interests to not get involved in any form with a domestic violence situation.
Yeah from the way she was talking she's a enabler....she never press charges or always have the charges dropped...and she said she definitely go back to him...right then I knew to stay out of it
Post automatically merged:

If you witness a crime, you have an obligation to inform LE.
Im a former gangster...i could never be a snitch...ill leave that to you crime stoppers

waldowainthrop

Im a former gangster...i could never be a snitch...ill leave that to you crime stoppers
Then you have made your decision. If you never want to talk to police, don’t worry about stuff you will never do anything about. The only way you can deal with this situation is to report a crime (if that’s even possible), do nothing, or become a vigilante murderer for your morally wronged passengers. I don’t recommend the latter path.

If you are feeling obligated, you can’t fix everyone’s problems, so perhaps you shouldn’t feel that way. If you aren’t ever willing to talk to appropriate authorities when they are often the only ones with a legal remedy, you are just living in your own personal anarchy.

Bobbyk5487

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then you have made your decision. If you never want to talk to police, don’t worry about stuff you will never do anything about. The only way you can deal with this situation is to report a crime (if that’s even possible), do nothing, or become a vigilante murderer for your morally wronged passengers. I don’t recommend the latter path.

If you are feeling obligated, you can’t fix everyone’s problems, so perhaps you shouldn’t feel that way. If you aren’t ever willing to talk to appropriate authorities when they are often the only ones with a legal remedy, you are just living in your own personal anarchy.
I was thinking maybe put her in touch with a shelter...she have called the cops before and then dropped the charges

Ssgcraig

Not true - the only people obligated to inform LE of domestic abuse arethose in certain professions...for example if a teacher or other education professional suspects child abuse they MUST report it.
Yes my statement is true. If you witness a crime, you have an obligation to inform LE. Please read my statement before answering next time.

JaxUberLyft

I suppose it depends on one's definition of "obligation"....I read your statement correctly the first time - no need to nag!

An obligation may be either legal or moral. In my response, I deliberately chose, interpreted, and commented upon the narrower definition of obligation as a legal requirement, and I stand by that interpretation...no need at all for you to re-re-re-read my statement, but feel free if you like!

Disgusted Driver

I would like to think that if I saw a man assaulting a woman on the street, I would stop and render aid. I would also do the same in the car and have tossed one guy out for hitting his girlfriend. But here's the thing, you can't help someone who's not looking for help. You walk into the middle of that you are asking for it. You have no idea what got them to that situation and you are more likely to have them both turn on you. So I don't offer help unless it's asked for and even then I'm keeping my name out of it because people get killed for less than that.