Dollars per mile

EddieG

So I finally got around to adding up all my miles. I take a picture of the odometer so I have a record of the odometer reading and a timestamp. Here is what I came up with for the year:

Online Miles Dead Miles Total Miles Net Pay (after uber/lyft fees, etc.)
------------------- ----------------- ----------------- --------------------------------------------------------
7,992 4,232 12,224 $10,602

So I'm making about 87 cents for every mile I drive. Just wondering how this compares to others.

Last edited:

UberFalsified

So I finally got around to adding up all my miles. I take a picture of the odometer so I have a record of the odometer reading and a timestamp. Here is what I came up with for the year:

Online Miles Dead Miles Total Miles Net Pay (after uber/lyft fees, etc.)
------------------- ----------------- ----------------- --------------------------------------------------------
7,992 4,232 12,224 $10,602

So I'm making about 87 cents for every mile I drive. Just wondering how this compares to others.
At what point would the miles not matter? How much would you have to make? What if your avg was .75 per mile, but you netted $15k?

Nu1

At what point would the miles not matter? How much would you have to make? What if your avg was .75 per mile, but you netted $15k?
The point you refer is different for each individual if you want a number but if you want a point in time is when you quit( not worth it anymore, your expenses are too high) I don’t think many drivers focus on the $/mile ratio, I’m not one of them. My focus is $/h, how many miles..... I don’t care, I don’t move much once I dropoff.
Depends what kind of car you have, I don’t have a fancy one and Depreciation is the last thing in my mind. I do light maintanance on it and that saves me even more, so that’s why $/mile is not a factor for me. But when I see Acura’s or even BMW’s I think this drivers have miles in consideration so they can tell us their story.

EddieG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree Nu. I have a 2007 Ford Escape I picked up 2 years ago so someone else took the hit on depreciation. I was just looking at it to see how I compare to other drivers.

4Wheels5Stars0Hopes

The point you refer is different for each individual if you want a number but if you want a point in time is when you quit( not worth it anymore, your expenses are too high) I don’t think many drivers focus on the $/mile ratio, I’m not one of them. My focus is $/h, how many miles..... I don’t care, I don’t move much once I dropoff.
Depends what kind of car you have, I don’t have a fancy one and Depreciation is the last thing in my mind. I do light maintanance on it and that saves me even more, so that’s why $/mile is not a factor for me. But when I see Acura’s or even BMW’s I think this drivers have miles in consideration so they can tell us their story.
Unless you’re like me, I do Select only and don’t move an inch unless I get a ping. Most dead miles are 17 from the city back home. I don’t know why anyone with a “luxury” vehicle does X. Also, important to note this is part time for me. I’d be singing a different tune if it was full time. Shit, id rent before taking my car on all those miles.

EngineerAtHeart

I don't have an exact dollar amount for you but I eyeballed my pay statements between Uber, Lyft, Doordash, and Flex. Earned about $11,300 this year. My car sits at 30,500 miles, started with 18,000 this year. 3,500 was commuting from normal work and back and 1,500 was road-tripping to Miami (one way because I was already there over New Years). That puts my gross at $1.506 / mile. I only do UberX and Pool. Amazon helps me boost the /mile revenue because my average routes cost me 30-50 in miles and I don't take ones that pay less than $70.

Car costs me the following:

Loan remaining ($6000) should be paid off by August. (I try to make 5 or so payments a month)
Depreciation costs $.06/mile which I round to $.10/mile to account for dealer trade-in reduction of value.
Gas (28mpg assuming) between $.09-.12 /mile
Insurance $.03/mile
Maintenance/Car Wash $.02/mile

Total vehicle expense: >$.30/mile
What the government thinks my car costs: $.58/mile

Taxes become a wash as I found out this year by claiming 0 at my real job (and being a student). If I claimed myself I would've owed an additional $5,600. But I ended with a $700 refund.

It took ALOT of number manipulation during my initial research when I first began to drive to really understand how much I was taking in.
Last year my expenses accounted for nearly 40% (a lot of dead miles waiting for pings). My goal this year was to cut that down and find cheaper maintenance options (down to 19%). (I don't like Jiffy Lube type places so dealer maintenance was $119 / oil change + leather treatment) Now I do the oil myself and take get the seats treated locally for $30. (saved $50/month). I also found that using premium fuel (a 27% increase in cost ) greatly improved my mpg (roughly 25%) and wayyyy better for city driving. Basically not costing any more than normal, so I use that now to extend the life of the car.

Probably way more detail than you were looking for but, here it is.

EddieG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have an exact dollar amount for you but I eyeballed my pay statements between Uber, Lyft, Doordash, and Flex. Earned about $11,300 this year. My car sits at 30,500 miles, started with 18,000 this year. 3,500 was commuting from normal work and back and 1,500 was road-tripping to Miami (one way because I was already there over New Years). That puts my gross at $1.506 / mile. I only do UberX and Pool. Amazon helps me boost the /mile revenue because my average routes cost me 30-50 in miles and I don't take ones that pay less than $70.

Car costs me the following:

Loan remaining ($6000) should be paid off by August. (I try to make 5 or so payments a month)
Depreciation costs $.06/mile which I round to $.10/mile to account for dealer trade-in reduction of value.
Gas (28mpg assuming) between $.09-.12 /mile
Insurance $.03/mile
Maintenance/Car Wash $.02/mile

Total vehicle expense: >$.30/mile
What the government thinks my car costs: $.58/mile

Taxes become a wash as I found out this year by claiming 0 at my real job (and being a student). If I claimed myself I would've owed an additional $5,600. But I ended with a $700 refund.

It took ALOT of number manipulation during my initial research when I first began to drive to really understand how much I was taking in.
Last year my expenses accounted for nearly 40% (a lot of dead miles waiting for pings). My goal this year was to cut that down and find cheaper maintenance options (down to 19%). (I don't like Jiffy Lube type places so dealer maintenance was $119 / oil change + leather treatment) Now I do the oil myself and take get the seats treated locally for $30. (saved $50/month). I also found that using premium fuel (a 27% increase in cost ) greatly improved my mpg (roughly 25%) and wayyyy better for city driving. Basically not costing any more than normal, so I use that now to extend the life of the car.

Probably way more detail than you were looking for but, here it is.

Thanks for staying true to your screenname!!!! Lots of good info. I like how you think.

Friendly Jack

Starting in 2015 I have counted every mile from the time I left home until I returned, as I consider all of these miles against my earnings, even when the app is offline. Doing both UberX and Lyft, my earnings per mile (cents) for the past 5 years, not including cash tips:

2015: Rides 64.7 --- Rides + app tips 68.6 --- Rides + app tips + bonuses 81.7
2016: Rides 64.6 --- Rides + app tips 66.2 --- Rides + app tips + bonuses 77.2
2017: Rides 66.0 --- Rides + app tips 68.8 --- Rides + app tips + bonuses 75.9
2018: Rides 73.9 --- Rides + app tips 80.0 --- Rides + app tips + bonuses 91.0
2019: Rides 78.0 --- Rides + app tips 84.3 --- Rides + app tips + bonuses 91.1

App tips for 2015 and 2016 are Lyft only, and for 2017 include a half year of Uber. Bonus $ include quests, consecutive ride bonuses, and in the old days, time online minimum earnings guarantees, etc. I do not have statistics for 2014, my first (partial) year of driving. And, yes, I have gotten more efficient over the years. :smiles:

Reactions: Nu1