• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Doing your own oil change???

FLKeys

How much does it cost you to do your own oil change? I have a local mechanic that charges $25 for an oil change, new filter and up to 5 qts oil.

Not really sure it is worth it to change my oil myself.

Matt Uterak

How much does it cost you to do your own oil change? I have a local mechanic that charges $25 for an oil change, new filter and up to 5 qts oil.

Not really sure it is worth it to change my oil myself.
That is a great deal.

Even an efficient home oil changer is going to spend more than 30 minutes all in + materials. Even the cheapest oil is $2 qt + a $4-8 filter.

FLKeys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a great deal.

Even an efficient home oil changer is going to spend more than 30 minutes all in + materials. Even the cheapest oil is $2 qt + a $4-8 filter.
If I buy a case of 12 oil filters at a time I can get them for just under $3 each. I think 5 qt jugs of oil were around $18 each. So that is around $21 if I do it myself. Don't really have a convenient place to do oil changes so I'm thinking paying the $25 is the best deal.

FLKeys

That can be regular oil, synthetic blend or full synthetic. For regular, the price you pay is just OK, for full synthetic it would be incredible.

I use full synthetic. I wait for a sale that happens a few times a year and buy full synthetic for $14.95 a gallon and stock up.
I doubt it is full synthetic, change the oil every 5,000 miles, do I really need full synthetic? I know at my work place we change the oil every 25,000 miles using Amsoil full synthetic. But we rotate our work trucks out every 3 years so I'm not sure what the long term benefits are of the Amsoil other than having the trucks on the road more often instead of in the shop for oil changes.

Mikeoftulsa

I used to work for an oil company that made all kinds of oil and other oil based fluids. I miss the deal i would get. I spent like 30.00 for 6 gallons of full synthetic.

BigRedDriver

I doubt it is full synthetic, change the oil every 5,000 miles, do I really need full synthetic? I know at my work place we change the oil every 25,000 miles using Amsoil full synthetic. But we rotate our work trucks out every 3 years so I'm not sure what the long term benefits are of the Amsoil other than having the trucks on the road more often instead of in the shop for oil changes.
I'm no expert, maybe someone else that knows better can chime in, but when I change my full synthetic at 5K it looks pretty knarly. Not sure I would trust it over that amount. And most of my miles are in town, which I believe is harder on motor oil than highway.

TPAMB

9 Quarts of Mobile1 Synthetic and filter, $55.90 on my one SUV and $119.00 on the other (diesel). I do the labor myself. About 45 minutes.

Last edited:

CarpeNoctem

If I buy a case of 12 oil filters at a time I can get them for just under $3 each. I think 5 qt jugs of oil were around $18 each. So that is around $21 if I do it myself. Don't really have a convenient place to do oil changes so I'm thinking paying the $25 is the best deal.
I wouldn't trust an oil filter that only costs $.25 retail. And while cost doesn't necessarily mean quality, you can research and see which filters are better. To each their own...

FLKeys

I wouldn't trust an oil filter that only costs $.25 retail. And while cost doesn't necessarily mean quality, you can research and see which filters are better. To each their own...
Not $0.25 each if I buy a case of 12 the filters are $3.00 each. $36 for the case of 12.

Gilby

And don't forget recycling the used oil. I think you are better off having it done for that very reasonable price.

Trafficat

I can pay $35 for a mechanic to do it with standard oil, or I can spend $20 and do it myself with full synthetic.

I do it myself now. Not because of the $15 saving, but because I don't have to wait 90 minutes in the lobby while they are servicing my car. I do it myself to save time. I use full synthetic because it only costs a few dollars more than regular oil. I'm not so convinced it does much for my car.