Doing a pickup run at New Era

golfinganddriving

Ok, so for the first (and last) time, I thought, what the heck, for my own education here, I will go out to the stadium for a pickup run yesterday. I went into it with an open mind, and said maybe I catch a surge, but even if I don't, I will chalk it up to experience.

So I drove out and got there around 3:30. Waited a while to see if a surge would appear. By 5 PM still no surge, just the 1.4X boost from Uber, and no prime time for Lyft.
Traffic was of course brutal from 4 PM on.
So decided to take a request around 5, and of course got the hit right away in the Uber area. Problem of course was a long delay getting out of Uber lot. Then tons of traffic delays.

Rider I picked up was a spanish speaking family needed to go downtown to their hotel.
The good news is they were polite passengers and not drunk or problematic in any way.

I gave them cold bottles of water, kept the car cool, comfortable and air-conditioned the whole way.

End of the ride, at 6:15 PM, I received $26. Take a guess what my tip was from these a$%$holes. You got it ZERO.

So moral of the story, I received $26 for 3 hours of my time, and lots of gas burned.

So, I add this to my list of things I will never again do as a driver: Here is my updated list:

1. Sit in the airport pickup lane.
2. Drive after midnight (although eternally grateful to all who do, for keeping our roads safe).
3. Go to a Bills game for a pickup.
4. Attempt to "earn" a Lyft hourly guarantee.
5. Chase a surge.

Good luck to all.

ShinyAndChrome

So, I add this to my list of things I will never again do as a driver

Unfortunately these lists grow and grow :frown:

I went out saturday morning (has worked okay for me in the past doing weekend mornings) and in 3.75 hours I grossed $50 and put 94 miles on my car, which cost me $24. (car is 25 cents/mile, half gas, rest depreciation/maint)

Since it was weekend, dead miles were heavy, so I netted $7/hour.

I will no longer be doing any weekend driving. My time is quite literally spent better doing absolutely anything else, and I do have interests in life.

I feel I'm being pushed out by the combined saturation of drivers (means long periods between pings) and the horrifically low fares. I just can't make enough to make it worth it.

Garbage Plate

Right now it's tough, especially if you don't want to deal with drunks. I'm thinking about doing an Ithaca road trip this weekend. I forget what a surge looks like. They surged for a long time last Friday night.

ShinyAndChrome

Right now it's tough, especially if you don't want to deal with drunks. I'm thinking about doing an Ithaca road trip this weekend. I forget what a surge looks like. They surged for a long time last Friday night.
What in God's name is going on down there? I saw it surging into the 2-3s mid-day this weekend. The entire city surgest all the time, deep red, even at weird hours. Is that what uber used to be like in some US cities before it got filled up with drivers? Assuming the surge is real and not being designed to try and pull people from other cities down to ithaca it looks like a goldmine, relatively speaking.

Garbage Plate

We'll see. Unless my wife objects I'm going to work it one day and night this weekend. I saw you noted it was surging this past Friday. I checked back like 2 hours later, still surging. I drive over half an hour to get to Rochester, I map quested it. 2 hours to Ithaca. What the heck. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Lurking

Friday & Saturday nights used to be fantastic for surges, until the word got out (in most cities) and now there is an oversupply of drivers. Despite big crowds at the bars, you may not see many surges until the last hour or two and they will not be big. However, you will see surges other times of the week like ShinyAndChrome said. Morning and Evening rush hours near train stations and bus depots are good too, but not guaranteed.

Chieftain

So just adding to this, I find the New Era pickups to be a complete waste of time. I did one after the GnR concert in August and even with the surge pricing(I can't remember what it was), my fare was 8 or 9 bucks cause I drove a group from the uber lot to a bar on southwestern. Then i get stuck in traffic trying to get back to the lot. And after Bills games, all you do is sit in traffic. I'm done with that whole scene. Funny cause a family member said to me before the football season - "Oh you will make a lot of money after bills games!"

So just adding to this, I find the New Era pickups to be a complete waste of time. I did one after the GnR concert in August and even with the surge pricing(I can't remember what it was), my fare was 8 or 9 bucks cause I drove a group from the uber lot to a bar on southwestern. Then i get stuck in traffic trying to get back to the lot. And after Bills games, all you do is sit in traffic. I'm done with that whole scene. Funny cause a family member said to me before the football season - "Oh you will make a lot of money after bills games!"
Set your destination to Alden before you get to the Uber pickup point , it will tell you that you will not receive any pickups when destination is set , but you will still get pinged for the ultimate farthest ride from the stadium. Then you'll make some cash.

Merc7186

...if someone is going out to Alden....lol.

I made one attempt at it for the U2 concert. I got a hit before the concert ended and ended up at one of the hotels behind the airport. By the time I dropped them off, the stadium was surging but I wasn't gonna attempt to get back out there and sit in traffic. After two hits, ended back up in Boston and the traffic from the stadium was pretty much cleared out. I was headed back towards the city when I got pulled into the stadium again, for a couple who was smart enough to wait out the surge.

Never again. I will put it up there with Airport Queue and Uber Eats, you guys can have it. I'll stick to my 20+/hr plan.