1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Does your insurance company know you Uber?? What if......

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Kaz, Oct 20, 2014.

1. RobertDavid

RobertDavid New Member

I just started driving last week and I'm usually pretty good at doing some background work. Well my background work was a week off and I'm just realizing now what a risk I'm taking by not knowing about the Insurance needed to do this correctly. I just assumed, probably like most new drivers, that since Uber requested a copy of my insurance that was all I needed to do this job. I didn't know.
    I'm not like a lot of these guys that have the attitude "how is your insurance gonna know" or "don't say anything"..........I've worked too hard in my life to have all that put in jeopardy. How they will know is when you get in an accident and are being sued and that's just not worth that risk to me. To be legal it would cost me way more than I ever planned to make. Thank You gentlemen for explaining things better than Uber ever did...........Bob

SEAL Team 5 and Older Chauffeur like this.
  2. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

^^^ wise move ;)

3. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

You are driving with the uber app turned on. A car slams into you. You are knocked unconscious. The police and EMT's arrive. The police see that your app is on. The police enter into their report that you were hit by a vehicle while driving for uber. Your insurance co reads the report. Your insurance co drops you.

4. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

The insurance company isn't the only outfit that Uber drivers need to worry about "finding out". If they are carrying a note on the vehicle, the financial institution can call in the note and charge you for insurance to protect them for their collateral being used for Uber. Car notes specify that the vehicle is being used for personal use- not as a livery vehicle- this use increases the risk to GMAC or whomever as it affects the value of their collateral.

SEAL Team 5 likes this.
  5. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I am really worried about this I actually called Geico and they replied this

this is the reply I received from Geico after I asked them about rideshare insurance. This make me nervous!!!!!!! Am I really fully covered by UBER when online with them?

We have received your inquiry about your coverage and will be glad to address your concerns.

Your GEICO personal auto policy excludes coverage when you drive your vehicle for ridesharing or any other service where you transport people or products for a fee.
    Be sure to check with your ridesharing company, as they may be able to help you find insurance on your vehicle.
    Thank you for the opportunity to assist you today and for using our online services.

then I asked

What is I am going home from a rideshare and am not online with the rideshare company. Are you saying that Geico will exclude me only when I am online with rideshare.

Here was the answer....

Dear LV:
    We have received your reply and will be happy to advise you.

Regrettably, we are unable to answer that question at this time. If something were to happen in a scenario like you proposed, it would be reviewed by our claims department to see if coverage would or would not apply. We apologize for any frustration this may cause.
    Again, we would recommend contacting the ridesharing company for insurance.
    Thank you for the opportunity to assist you today and for using our online services.

Sincerely,

Once again does UBER cover us and if I am offline does Geico still cover me? Does anyone have a clear understanding of are we insured??? on or off app

6. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

What state are you in?

7. Older Chauffeur

He's in Florida.

8. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Any more help here? I may just quit due to this and being on social security this small amount on money helps out a lot. But I will not risk everything on this insurance shi!!

9. Older Chauffeur

You could try posting in the FL forum if you haven't already. People familiar with your state might have some ideas.

louvit likes this.
  10. louvit

louvit Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks Older I didn't know there were such sections here, I just joined last week or so

11. Older Chauffeur

Scroll down on the main Forums page to find the listing of cities. They aren't entirely alphabetically listed, so check for FL cities.

12. Creekman

Creekman New Member

13. Creekman

Creekman New Member

Your Vin is in the system. Insurance can check to see if your auto is registered on uber. If it is a major accident I guess they can check phone records to see if you were online with uber at the time of the accident. If this happens during period one, no liability or collision. Huge risk with low pay. Call me paranoid but this is where I am