1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Does your insurance company know you Uber?? What if......

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Kaz, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This is an issue. I have not told my insurance company I do this even though they asked me if I used my car for a taxi, etc. Im sorry but I know for a fact your insurance company will deny a claim or cancel your policy if they find out youre Ubering. Allstate, State Farm, they're all catching on to this. If you are involved in an accident, even while on your own time, if your insurance company finds out you do this, you are busted. I may call another insurance company and ask for a quote on a taxi policy but I think its going to be alot of work to get a policy for this. If you get into an accident, your fault or no, and you are NOT on a call but you are online, will UBER cover you? Does anyone know the answer to this? I would feel better if I saw something in writing and UBER does not give us alot of info. Thanks-

2. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    You can't buy a commercial livery insurance for your personal car.

cybertec69 and scrurbscrud like this.
  3. Former Yellow Driver

Former Yellow Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    "Busted"? What does that mean? After they pay for your claim they drop your insurance or they refuse the non Uber related claim? BTW - how do they determine that you occasionally do Ubering if you don't tell them and your accident was not Uber related?

lmitch54 likes this.
  4. where's the beef?

where's the beef? Well-Known Member

Catch-22, Uber style...
    damned if you do and damned if you don't...
    damn you, Travis !!!

Guber likes this.
  5. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, you are BUSTED if your insurance company finds out. When I called my insurance company recently to update some info, the rep asked me "Do you use your car for any taxi or business purposes..." And someone who used to be a licensed insurance agent told me Uber-ing is risky and my rates will skyrocket if my insurance company finds out. And by not disclosing this to them, we're basically fraudulently obtaining a policy for lower rates. If you have to file a claim for any reason and your insurance co finds out you Uber, you will be canceled and claim denied. It says in all of the insurance docs youre sent about making false statements, etc. I don't mean to scare but there is alot of risk involved in doing this.

cybertec69 and scrurbscrud like this.

6. UberFrolic

UberFrolic Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Define "finding out".

7. where's the beef?

Don't ask, don't tell...
    That's my motto for now...

8. Former Yellow Driver

Former Yellow Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    "Busted"? What does that mean? After they pay for your claim they drop your insurance or they refuse the non Uber related claim? BTW - how do they determine that you occasionally do Ubering if you don't tell them and your accident was not Uber related?

Thanks for info @Kaz@Kaz ....but your response didn't specifically answer my questions. I understand about lying to insurance companies and fraud....those were not my questions.

9. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    BUSTED can mean, having your claim denied all together and being cancelled, thats what I mean. Nothing particularly law-breaking and the police have better things to do than go after UBER drivers whose insurance companies have no idea what they're doing. Especially when there are tens of thousands of people driving without any coverage at all and just don't care. Adjustors are sneaky, I deal with them at my full time job. It is risky UBER-ing, thats why hopefully it's worth it if youre making some money. An accident off-duty and completely unrelated to UBERING can still blow up in your face if your insurance company determines you're using your vehicle to transport people for money. On another forum, someone was blasting off on how we're all committing fraud and that only a commerical policy actually protects us 24/7 but my understanding is, you cant take out a commercial policy on a personal vehicle, no insurance company will do this. This was already posted by someone who made the mistake of telling their insurance company they UBER. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we can't take out a private policy on our personal vehicle, what are we supposed to do??? It really sucks. Mostly every driver on here is in the agreement, dont tell your insurance company and just hope nothing happens. Not very calming, truthfully.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  10. where's the beef?

Kind of exciting, actually...;)

Orlando_Driver, chi1cabby and Elmoooy like this.
  11. Another Uber oversight. Imagine that

12. Or intentional undersite, imagine that

13. scrurbscrud

scrurbscrud Well-Known Member

What we are doing is blatantly ILLEGAL. We drive when app off with no insurance, period. And we HOPE the insurance companies will play nice and 'cover us.' What a freakin' JOKE! Do you really think they are on your ILLEGAL side? hahahahahaahahahah

There is no escaping this fact and it should be uncomfortable for every driver and every citizen.

Kuzya3k likes this.
  14. Worcester Sauce

Worcester Sauce Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What exactly does the Uber insurance policy cover?

15. pengduck

pengduck Well-Known Member

Hey Uber here's your chance to make more money selling us insurance. Don't miss the boat!

16. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

No problem here in nyc "we are regulated to the hilt" , no one can operate any type of taxi business without commercial Taxi or FHV policy, without this policy you are not getting any Taxi or FHV TLC license plates, and without those license plates and yearly commercial registration and 3 yearly inspections you are not doing any taxi work. That's why here in nyc us uberx drivers have been shafted without any grease. Also no one else can drive the car with the TLC license plates except you, not the wife, kids, girlfriend, mom, dad, friends, no one but you. Here it's a business not a part time hobby.

Tx rides likes this.
  17. Realityshark

Realityshark Well-Known Member

Everything you have stated is true as I understand it. The insurance / liability / issue is one of my greatest fears. I personally believe that this will ultimately be the straw that causes the next big changes in ride sharing. The insurance companies are going to want their cut and some new rules will go into effect. A few more negative Uber headlines, car crashes, drunk Uber drivers and stuff like that. I predict change will come and Uber X drivers will take the hit. Anyone who is playing this game and not telling their insurance company about it is playing Russian roulette.

Worcester Sauce likes this.
  18. Worcester Sauce

Worcester Sauce Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    app on, or app off, or even if the phone is not in the car. Uber shows me as an "active driver", with my car info and license plate number. This can NOT be good

19. Courageous

Courageous Well-Known Member

That's not so far fetched. I've actually wondered all along why they haven't started this already. There would be serious profit.

Jay2dresq likes this.
  20. scrurbscrud

scrurbscrud Well-Known Member

The difficulty is this is largely new territory for legislation/insurance/legal issues. Society is still catching up. Uber came up with a supposedly creative way to skirt taxi/livery/cab/limo existing legislation and nothing more than this. Not saying it's bad. Cab service was/is bad and prior to ride share you couldn't find a reasonable service, so they were RIPE for a creative capitalist style attack to begin with. Piss poor customer service demands changes. After most of the dotgovs of this country started taking out drunk driving by nailing hundreds of thousands with 'rightful' DUI's this problem demanded an ON DEMAND solution. I credit ride share as a service and partial solution to this problem, because I also DRINK and NEVER drive when doing so, so had to meticulously plan rather than count on cab service. I personally *****ed for years in a bar about not being able to 'get a cab' in a reasonable amount of time. That is no longer as big a problem thanks to ride share.

But that doesn't address the insurance issue. This issue has been skirted by Uber, BIGTIME. And illegally imho. You can't lay this off on the drivers when you KNOW that our personal auto insurance doesn't fit this situation nor are any personal auto policies currently suited to the 'on/off' type of approach that Uber fast handed on the public, WITH the help of legislators.

The insurance companies are really the ones to blame and they sure as hell are not interested in taking on risks that can not be factored in by their actuaries without some actual 'figures.' But it will eventually occur to them that by taking drunks off the road it IS very much in their own financial interests. Well, maybe. I'm sure they enjoy milking DUI's for all they can get.

The 'experiment' will continue. Some if not many drivers may pay a horrible price to be their guinea pigs and will take far too much personal risk in the process. I don't plan on being one of them. If I can find adequate coverage, I will get it, even if it costs me more. It's my own hide and my own livelyhood.

Went through many similar issues in my working career prior in construction with 'illegal' immigrants who basically wiped out the working class construction workers in my state with both the state and the feds looking the other way.

Bottom line. Neither the state or the feds give a damn about 'you.'

Cover your own backsides or take the results.