• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Does Uber punish you for canceling rides?

I don't cancel ride very often but it seems as though when I do occasionally have to cancel a ride with Uber it seems like they punish me for a while by not giving me rides or giving me way fewer rides/short bad rides. I went for a long time without canceling rides and it seemed as long as I wasn't canceling rides at all I was able to consistently get rides but after canceling a ride it feels like I'm getting punished by getting way fewer rides. Can any one provide any insight?

Noonespecial

YES. From personal experience I can say that unless its really busy cancelling a ride leads to a 30 minute wait for your next ping.
A no-show or decline is OK, but a cancellation absolutely triggers the algorithm.
I've done it enough to know for sure. Personally I think its part of their psychological warfare against drivers. Just like "opportunity nearby" and "expect trips soon" its part of their arsenal of supply side economic bull S Hit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
YES. From personal experience I can say that unless its really busy cancelling a ride leads to a 30 minute wait for your next ping.
A no-show or decline is OK, but a cancellation absolutely triggers the algorithm.
I've done it enough to know for sure. Personally I think its part of their psychological warfare against drivers. Just like "opportunity nearby" and "expect trips soon" its part of their arsenal of supply side economic bull S Hit.
Thanks for your response I had been suspecting this for a while due to prior expirenced. It always seems to happen if I cancel.

Ziggy

No. It’s an illusion if you think anything else. Uber used to penalize drivers for canceling and/or not accepting trips- but they were sued several years ago for doing that. And now they don’t penalize drivers for either

Noonespecial

No. It’s an illusion if you think anything else. Uber used to penalize drivers for canceling and/or not accepting trips- but they were sued several years ago for doing that. And now they don’t penalize drivers for either
I dont think its punishment. I think the algo counts it as a ride and now all the drivers near you are gonna get a ride before you are offered ANOTHER one. The wait time is more than an illusion in my experience. Again, its meant to be psychological.

wilsonz83

I do cancel a lot with 32% cancellation rate for a while, it used to be ok but now I do notice if I cancel one even in a busy area I don't get a long for 10 minutes or so, after certain time the pings will pour in again.

uberparadise

I don't cancel ride very often but it seems as though when I do occasionally have to cancel a ride with Uber it seems like they punish me for a while by not giving me rides or giving me way fewer rides/short bad rides. I went for a long time without canceling rides and it seemed as long as I wasn't canceling rides at all I was able to consistently get rides but after canceling a ride it feels like I'm getting punished by getting way fewer rides. Can any one provide any insight?
I call it the penalty box effect. Take some $3 min rides and all of sudden you get $20 rides back to back.

lyft_rat

I believe it is the statistics of small numbers. Today, however, I drove in an area where I have gotten consistently many more Uber pings than Lyft pings. I got only one Uber ping a long pickup that I declined and 7 good Lyft pings, all in a row. Go figure. Why everyone should use both.

uberparadise

I believe it is the statistics of small numbers. Today, however, I drove in an area where I have gotten consistently many more Uber pings than Lyft pings. I got only one Uber ping a long pickup that I declined and 7 good Lyft pings, all in a row. Go figure. Why everyone should use both.
Let them fight for your driving services. Play one off the other...

Reactions: DDW

tcc83

Turned on my app in the burbs. Got a ping 5 minutes in but declined because it was 12 minutes away and I usually get 3-6 mins away here. Been waiting an hour now. Could be coincidence but seems to happen often.

uberparadise

Turned on my app in the burbs. Got a ping 5 minutes in but declined because it was 12 minutes away and I usually get 3-6 mins away here. Been waiting an hour now. Could be coincidence but seems to happen often.
For whatever weird reason, it’s best to just do the trip... be a team player Uber does appreciate that and will reward you right afterwards.... Sometimes saying no is in your best interest, because there are trips and surge you prefer over that particular one.

tcc83

For whatever weird reason, it’s best to just do the trip... be a team player Uber does appreciate that and will reward you right afterwards.... Sometimes saying no is in your best interest, because there are trips and surge you prefer over that particular one.
My experience seems to tell me the same but I can’t tell if it’s my imagination.

Noonespecial

My experience seems to tell me the same but I can’t tell if it’s my imagination.
i still say it is set up to mess with your head, if you cancel a ride, then the other cars near you will get a ride before you get ANOTHER ride. Its actually only fair, but the wait messes with your head. Just my opinion. Their algorithm patent has like 250 factors though, age/sex of driver, age of car, ride distance, distance to pax, length of ride, lots of calculated shit to determine who gets the ping. I still feel though that you dont get your ping #2 until the drivers near you get their ping #1 first.

uberparadise

i still say it is set up to mess with your head, if you cancel a ride, then the other cars near you will get a ride before you get ANOTHER ride. Its actually only fair, but the wait messes with your head. Just my opinion. Their algorithm patent has like 250 factors though, age/sex of driver, age of car, ride distance, distance to pax, length of ride, lots of calculated shit to determine who gets the ping. I still feel though that you dont get your ping #2 until the drivers near you get their ping #1 first.
Uber can dish out good rides and bad rides. I would rather have the algorithm on my side considering rides are being delegated left and right all around us. They have the power to increase your earnings or diminish them. I trust Uber and try my best to accept some mediocre rides, knowing they will appreciate it and throw me some good ones right after. Let’s build the brand...

Noonespecial

Uber can dish out good rides and bad rides. I would rather have the algorithm on my side considering rides are being delegated left and right all around us. They have the power to increase your earnings or diminish them. I trust Uber and try my best to accept some mediocre rides, knowing they will appreciate it and throw me some good ones right after. Let’s build the brand...
If you accept about 90% and cancel less than 5% than your "x" average almost always comes out a little north of $10 a ride. I dont know if this is intentional but i can go back for hundreds of rides and this average holds.

wilsonz83

If you accept about 90% and cancel less than 5% than your "x" average almost always comes out a little north of $10 a ride. I dont know if this is intentional but i can go back for hundreds of rides and this average holds.
I think it also depends where you work, I don't see that happening if you work downtown. If you work the burbs then mostly are $10+ trips.

Reactions: DDW