Does this actually make drivers want to keep driving?

nomad_driver

This has actually caused me to nearly wreck twice. I have an ipad set up in my prius and with such a big screen I can hit the "go online" button without looking away from the road. Then uber starts doing this secondary screen. When it first happened I thought I had been logged off for at least 5 minutes and when I got a ping I was like "what the @@@@?" and as I looked down the light I was approaching turned yellow and when I looked up it had turned red and I ran it. And what I've noticed is that it doesn't do it everytime I log off, but now I have to look away from the road every time I log off.
IMG_0711.PNG

So I have to wonder if some uber corporate person was brain storming on how to keep drivers working longer thought oh hey if we throw out some arbitrary goal like 5 minutes to two hours, or $2 away from $20, drivers will want stay on.

PTCGUY

This has actually caused me to nearly wreck twice. I have an ipad set up in my prius and with such a big screen I can hit the "go online" button without looking away from the road. Then uber starts doing this secondary screen. When it first happened I thought I had been logged off for at least 5 minutes and when I got a ping I was like "what the &%[email protected]!*?" and as I looked down the light I was approaching turned yellow and when I looked up it had turned red and I ran it. And what I've noticed is that it doesn't do it everytime I log off, but now I have to look away from the road every time I log off.
View attachment 51813
So I have to wonder if some uber corporate person was brain storming on how to keep drivers working longer thought oh hey if we throw out some arbitrary goal like 5 minutes to two hours, or $2 away from $20, drivers will want stay on.
It kept me driving. I was heading to the QT to use the facilities and I went to log off and it popped up that I was 5 minutes short of driving for 3 hours. I stayed online and peed my pants. Thanks Uber!!!

PTCGUY

Rookie mistake bro. You always need to keep a pee bottle in your uber load out. I keep mine in my center console next to the little water bottles and treats I give to my paxs.
Hope you don't get your water bottles mixed up and 'accidently' give the wrong one to an unruly pax!

Harleyfxdx1

This has actually caused me to nearly wreck twice. I have an ipad set up in my prius and with such a big screen I can hit the "go online" button without looking away from the road. Then uber starts doing this secondary screen. When it first happened I thought I had been logged off for at least 5 minutes and when I got a ping I was like "what the &%[email protected]!*?" and as I looked down the light I was approaching turned yellow and when I looked up it had turned red and I ran it. And what I've noticed is that it doesn't do it everytime I log off, but now I have to look away from the road every time I log off.
View attachment 51813

nomad_driver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WOW !!! an iPad in a prius??? I guess you have to look down because if the iPad were a dash mount, it would obstruct your vision out the windshield. It must be annoying for any front seat pax. Must be like putting a big screen TV in a restroom stall.
You would think that but no. I've actually been field testing a technique where I use the front facing camera to actually drive. That way I never miss a ping.

steveK2016

OT Question: How are you using Uber with an iPad? I also have a tablet with LTE Data Service, it connects to Uber Partner app no problem but what id you need to get a hold of the passenger? I would like to use the tablet as it has a bigger, clearer screen for using GPS but it seems most PAX i pickup, I have to contact either through text or call.

Harleyfxdx1

You would think that but no. I've actually been field testing a technique where I use the front facing camera to actually drive. That way I never miss a ping.
Driving with the front camera on an iPad??? You must get some exceptional ratings.
Please put yellow flashing lights on the top, front, and rear of your vehicle for the safety of the rest of the drivers out there ... when we see those lights we know to move over at least one lane.

tohunt4me

View attachment 51813
You are $3.00 away from $10.00 ,and have only been online 2 hr.45 min.,sure you don't want to go for $10.00.

Uber preys on CODEPENDENCY ,OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR.

THE PAY CAN NOT MOTIVATE.

nomad_driver

You are $3.00 away from $10.00 ,and have only been online 2 hr.45 min.,sure you don't want to go for $10.00.

Uber preys on CODEPENDENCY ,OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR.

THE PAY CAN NOT MOTIVATE.
I was amazed how quickly I began to just the tap the app to accept as soon as I heard the tone without looking where the pin was at or the rating. Now I always take a second to look at it but I still feel the reflex.

nomad_driver

OT Question: How are you using Uber with an iPad? I also have a tablet with LTE Data Service, it connects to Uber Partner app no problem but what id you need to get a hold of the passenger? I would like to use the tablet as it has a bigger, clearer screen for using GPS but it seems most PAX i pickup, I have to contact either through text or call.
I still have a phone mounted next to the iPad. The number that is used to contact the pax is an uber number so it's always the same. I just save the number in my contacts. I just have to keep in mind that uber changes the number every so often so when I get a message that doesn't go through I just check the contact menu for a new number.