Does the public look at rideshare drivers as pathetic losers?

dctcmn

Name me a profession that doesn't have a social stigma attached to it. Doctor? Lawyer? Religious figure? CEO? Politician? Teacher? Artist? Truck Driver? Programmer? Janitor? Engineer? I can easily come up with negative stereotypes for each one of those.

The fact of the matter is that people create these stigmas as a way feel better about themselves. It's simply them conning themselves so they can feel the endorphin rush of superiority.

So control what you can control to the greatest extent you can control it. Influence what you can influence to the greatest extent you can influence it. Protect yourself against what you can neither control or influence to the greatest extent you can protect yourself.

You cannot control what other people think, and you have very little influence over it. So protect yourself in knowing that what people think of you is simply a mirror of themselves. If they disrespect themselves, they'll disrespect you no matter how you act. If they respect themselves, they'll respect you if you act in a manner that demands respect.

Reynob Moore

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Name me a profession that doesn't have a social stigma attached to it. Doctor? Lawyer? Religious figure? CEO? Politician? Teacher? Artist? Truck Driver? Programmer? Janitor? Engineer? I can easily come up with negative stereotypes for each one of those.

The fact of the matter is that people create these stigmas as a way feel better about themselves. It's simply them conning themselves so they can feel the endorphin rush of superiority.

So control what you can control to the greatest extent you can control it. Influence what you can influence to the greatest extent you can influence it. Protect yourself against what you can neither control or influence to the greatest extent you can protect yourself.

You cannot control what other people think, and you have very little influence over it. So protect yourself in knowing that what people think of you is simply a mirror of themselves. If they disrespect themselves, they'll disrespect you no matter how you act. If they respect themselves, they'll respect you if you act in a manner that demands respect.

I really like your post and how you think, and I appreciate it as well.

But to be honest, I question how much you are just kidding yourself and the rest of us. I don't see how you can logically throw us in the same sentence with doctors, lawyers etc. It is what it is.

The stigma attached to the other professions you stated are very different. We are looked at as pathetic. Lawyers, dishonest. Etc.

I just dont know if the pathetic stigma is something I can live with.

Trafficat

Some people do. But I think most people are too self-absorbed and worrying about what everyone else thinks about them to judge everyone else.

Rideshare gigs will not impress, and possibly will even scare away employers who are hoping to find easily abused subservient employees. Rideshare drivers are too independent. It scares an employer to think that if they disrespect you like they do their normal employees, that you might not fear job loss. Most jobs I've had, my coworkers are quaking in fear over their performance reviews, especially when there are job layoffs.

dctcmn

But to be honest, I question how much you are just kidding yourself and the rest of us. I don't see how you can logically throw us in the same sentence with doctors, lawyers etc. It is what it is.

The stigma attached to the other professions you stated are very different. We are looked at as pathetic. Lawyers, dishonest. Etc.

Fair points. I'd respond by saying that if you can't live with some percentage of the 7.5 billion people on this planet thinking you're pathetic because of your chosen profession, that's up to you. The way you feel about it is also entirely within your control. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

For me, I've never really derived my personal value from my profession. I know I'm merely a speck of dust in a vast, cold and uncaring universe. I know a large solar flare or asteroid could wipe out my existence, my memory and my accomplishments in an instant. In a weird way, that gives me comfort and peace. If some narcissistic great ape wants to look down their nose at me to feel better about themselves, then there's no harm in letting them bask in that fairy tale.

Adis

I just got a major headache from attempting to read this

Reactions: Poo

TheDevilisaParttimer

Well spoken, respect always start with self.
Post automatically merged:

Some people do. But I think most people are too self-absorbed and worrying about what everyone else thinks about them to judge everyone else.

Rideshare gigs will not impress, and possibly will even scare away employers who are hoping to find easily abused subservient employees. Rideshare drivers are too independent. It scares an employer to think that if they disrespect you like they do their normal employees, that you might not fear job loss. Most jobs I've had, my coworkers are quaking in fear over their performance reviews, especially when there are job layoffs.
Depends on the job, a job that requires alot of self reliance Uber will probably looked at as a positive.
Post automatically merged:

The greatest disadvantage a person can have is a negative outlook. If you feel pathetic, then the demons are within.

LADryver

Walk around. Every day. Who are the winners? Is it the counter cashier at the restaurant? Is it the cashier at the gas station? Is it the clerk at the dry cleaning store? Is it the receptionist at the chiropractor office? Is it the person who does not have a car who waits for the bus? When do you see someone as better off, is it when they have something you do not have?

Rideshare drivers begin as someone doing something for someone that they either should not, would not, or can not do for themselves. Rideshare drivers are betterment to others' lives. If that beneficiary turns around and puts us down, they are the losers.

islanddriver

If you don't think you can live with it quit. And be done. Any other job you get , people with more will think it's pathetic. It's the way the world is get use to it or become one of the haves ins stead of the have nots.

dmoney155

Serious question. I dont know what to think anymore. I think the truth is a lot of people do. And that makes me not want to drive anymore.
So... you letting strangers control your behavior?

btw, it's all about how you carry yourself... if you look like you just rolled out of bed, stink, and wear flip flops while driving a beater... anyone would think you are pathetic loser no matter what you do.

TXUbering

Be professional in every endeavor you undertake. If you Uber in sloppy clothes, people are going to rightfully think that you're a slob. I'm not saying that you have to wear a tuxedo, but treat Uber like you would any job. I will disclose that I don't do Uber fulltime and mostly use Uber for supplemental income and as a stop gap in between IT projects. If you don't have a plan outside of Uber, that's another reason for people to look down at you. Develop a plan, invest in yourself via training towards a post-Uber career. If you are making Uber your career, then you are doing yourself a disservice, and deserve the stigma. What are you going to do when driverless cars finally arrive, and yes I understand some people think it's not going to happen overnight, but what are your plans after the Rideshare gravy-train err gravy-car is gone?

waldowainthrop

Why do you care so much what other people think?

Capitalism is degrading. It is hard for most people to find a job that others won’t doubt or question them for. But people are wrong all the time, so all you should worry about is whether you like your work.

You sound really burned out, though – consider a non-customer-facing job next if an opportunity is available. Most customer-facing jobs are looked down upon by some portion of the clientele. If that bothers you, you should either put it in perspective or find something else without that point of conflict. As you know, rideshare can put you in very close contact with customers and their problems. If that is a bad experience, maybe it is time to find something else to do if you can.