• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Does Lyft hire only younger drivers??

I'm asking this because as I've noted in an earlier thread, I applied to Lyft, have done everything I need to do and yet they still have me listed in Background Check mode for 3 weeks. I even emailed them through "help" on their website and never even received a response. As I mentioned, I have zilch bad on a background check, so that is not what's holding this up.

I'm just curious to see the age of Lyft drivers here on this forum. I know I definitely had more hurdles to jump as a mid-40s guy looking for a professional full-time job when I was out of work last year. Would have never thought twice about it going into my search, but it became obvious pretty quickly.

LAuberX

Lyft drivers come in all age groups... that being said, if you ever get to the point of a mentor session reach out to a fellow UP member so you won't have an issue there.

Lyft Mentors can fail you for reasons that only exist in their own mind.... age can be one of them.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Lyft left Columbus a while back for political reasons, but rumors were there were some Lyft mentors in Columbus that were only approving LGBT drivers. I wish Lyft would return and give Uber some competition here, but I probably wouldn't get past the mentor approval without getting some interview prep work first.

Disgusted Driver

I'm in my 50's and I had no trouble getting approved by Lyft. Haven't taken a passenger in months though between the rates and the fact that they are losing the war here to Uber.

bart2puck

I had a mentor meeting that had my mentor never show up. no email, no notes, nothing. I am currently "waiting for an excited mentor to setup a meeting in my area."

RockinEZ

I'm asking this because as I've noted in an earlier thread, I applied to Lyft, have done everything I need to do and yet they still have me listed in Background Check mode for 3 weeks. I even emailed them through "help" on their website and never even received a response. As I mentioned, I have zilch bad on a background check, so that is not what's holding this up.

I'm just curious to see the age of Lyft drivers here on this forum. I know I definitely had more hurdles to jump as a mid-40s guy looking for a professional full-time job when I was out of work last year. Would have never thought twice about it going into my search, but it became obvious pretty quickly.
I am over 60 and had no problems. In San Diego Lyft activation happened in about a week.

That being said, I believe Lyft is desperate for drivers and riders in San Diego. Pings are almost always over 10 minutes and over 50% are canceled as many pax play the ping both Uber and Lyft game. Uber will always win that game.

I have given Uber pax 1 star for telling me they do that.

When Uber Support asked me about the 1 Star ride, they agreed that pinging both companies is not acceptable.

Last edited:

Oh My

I was in my late 40s when I was quickly onboarded with Lyft. Compared to Uber, their clientele IS younger and I know many of those riders weren't expecting the likes of me as their driver.

That "mentor" was just looking for his bonus though I'm sure. Even though my car was newer it had way above average miles and was pretty much due for tires which I was taking care of soon anyway. I know they don't actually "inspect" your car but he just walked around it real quick and I heard him say "tires - good, horn ok,....."

leroy jenkins

I'm still have me listed in Background Check mode for 3 weeks. I ckly.
Guessing that your wait is solely due to the s***load of Lyft drivers online right now. Way more Lyft supply than Lyft demand. Since a majority of drivers wash out after less than 100 rides, you're probably in the pen waiting for the green light after a bunch of drivers stop logging in regularly.

looking at the Lyft app right now cars, everywhere. literally. Even Kenwood/Hyde park has 8+ cars in the area.

Zoey

I never even got an email. I check status of application and it says "In Background Check. This may take 2 days or up to 2 weeks in certain counties. We will email you if we need anything else."
It sounds like the mentor okayed you. It goes to background check after the mentor passes you. I am driving for Lyft (and Uber) and am over 50.