Does anyone ever accept pings in ghetto areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregL385

I am new so I have just been wondering if anyone has had any trouble driving around the rather crappy parts of town. I tend to air on the side of caution and if I get a ping for certain parts of Baltimore I will not accept them. My car is a 2015 model so the last thing I want is for it to get damaged or stolen.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues or refuses to put their car in a bad area. Also does Uber track where you wont pick up people and wont send you pings in that area?

UTX1

I do Ghetto and surprisingly (or maybe not) they often tip ! Go figure.

Now, what constitutes ghetto here in Big D is MUCH different than the Beltway
and especially Baltimore. I actually know the east coast from another life, so to speak,
and although I'm sure the world continues to change,as it always does everywhere and everyday,
Baltimore was and probably still is a tough town. For an LA perspective, think Crenshaw...

Just be safe and use your head and don't get jacked.
Most folks just want a (cheap) ride and a safe way home.

Mostly, remember there's "good" and "bad" everywhere, not just in the hood.
Crime follows money. There's more money in the so called "good" parts of town
than in any "south-side", so just be mindful of your surroundings always.

GregL385

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, looking at your avitar, you look worried... like someone is trying to rob you.:biggrin:
Poker Face, man. Keep up your confidence. High alert. We gotta be careful out there.
Roll 'em Hill Street Blues.
I cant tell if its your posting style or being completely serious...but that isnt me.

Nikncarlo

It really depends on time of day and the pax rating/name

I'm not picking up a 4.3 rated guy named t-money (yes I've had a ping for one of those) on a well known crime area street. But lets day it's 2pm and I know the street to be near a major intersection and they have a good rating I might accept and drive past the block but if something seems off I'll just hit cancel

GregL385

It really depends on time of day and the pax rating/name

I'm not picking up a 4.3 rated guy named t-money (yes I've had a ping for one of those) on a well known crime area street. But lets day it's 2pm and I know the street to be near a major intersection and they have a good rating I might accept and drive past the block but if something seems off I'll just hit cancel
Yeah I tend to operate when there is the least amount of risk for an accident so that leaves me between 9pm-4am as my main times.

T-Money hahaha. That is priceless. I had a guy named Bash request me once and I couldnt bring myself to ask him his name when I first arrived.

Nick781

I usually avoid a certain parts but the funny thing is I was on a well known section of the city and never got a ping on couple occasions. But as long as its not dark. But some areas sketch me out especially when people are hanging out in front of stores you never know if they claim to be a pax than try robbing you so I avoid it all together.

Nikncarlo

T-Money hahaha. That is priceless. I had a guy named Bash request me once and I couldnt bring myself to ask him his name when I first arrived.

I think it's crazy how we have to up our real name and DL to uber for our pax but they can give a fake name. I get the whole privacy thing but I'd love to know who's really sitting behind me in my vehicle

Another Uber Driver

Q: Does anyone ever accept pings in ghetto areas?

A; Yes.

I didn't know ghetto people use uber.
You do now.

You cover the requests in the same way that you would cover any other request. The user comes out and you make him give the name. You do not say "Is your name Mitchell?". You let him say "My name is Mitchell", "Are you here for Mitchell?" or words similar.

If a Spanish speaking neighbourhood and it appears that the users are not that competent in English, I will ask "?Hais pedido Uber?". If I get a "Si", I will ask "?Cual es vuestro nombre?" If I get the correct name, I tell them "Embarcados, por favor, este es vuestro Uber". If I do not get the correct name, I tell them "Lo siento, este no es vuestro Uber."

GregL385

Q: Does anyone ever accept pings in ghetto areas?

A; Yes.

You do now.

You cover the requests in the same way that you would cover any other request. The user comes out and you make him give the name. You do not say "Is your name Mitchell?". You let him say "My name is Mitchell", "Are you here for Mitchell?" or words similar.

If a Spanish speaking neighbourhood and it appears that the users are not that competent in English, I will ask "?Hais pedido Uber?". If I get a "Si", I will ask "?Cual es vuestro nombre?" If I get the correct name, I tell them "Embarcados, por favor, este es vuestro Uber". If I do not get the correct name, I tell them "Lo siento, este no es vuestro Uber."
That is way way way WAY too much effort.

Kalee

I am new so I have just been wondering if anyone has had any trouble driving around the rather crappy parts of town. I tend to air on the side of caution and if I get a ping for certain parts of Baltimore I will not accept them. My car is a 2015 model so the last thing I want is for it to get damaged or stolen.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues or refuses to put their car in a bad area. Also does Uber track where you wont pick up people and wont send you pings in that area?
When I used to drive I accepted a handful of requests in the REALLY bad parts of town.
The folks I picked up were outstanding customers. Very polite and showed more respect towards me and my car than many of the more affluent customers.
They also seem to truly appreciate the service being provided to them at an affordable price in a not so nice part of town. The reality is that there are a ton of good people living in the bad parts of town. No fault of their own, it's just tough to move out of there. Feel good about helping them to get around town.

However, I would not entertain the idea of accepting a request in those areas at nighttime. You still have to use your head, or you may lose it.

HiFareLoRate

I got specific freebies depending on the area.

High end - condoms and cologne/perfume
Middle end - gum and chargers
Low end - King Kobra 40 oz malt liquor you get for a buck down at the barred gas station.

JaxUbermom

I have. Once Got a ping and had to turn around because coroners van and police were blocking the road kind of ghetto. We have a few here in Jacksonville. I have had some nice people, and I have had more than one try to use me for their truly personal driver through Popeye's, the Dollar General, and the liquor store. (Uber says take your .17 a minute for fifteen minutes and don't end the ride, btw) and sit in said neighborhood allllll they want. Those rides always four star me too. Sigh. They expect the hot towel and foot rub, I suspect, for their five dollar "a cab won't come in here and sit"...ride.

UTX1

I cant tell if its your posting style or being completely serious...but that isnt me.
Yes it probably is my posting style. I'm a cheeky bastard. sorry greg.
But yea, Dennis from It's Always Sunny. Haven't seen that show in a long while.

Anyway, now that I recall, some of the most memorable trips/pax were pings
from the shady side of town. Usually weirdos, but it's all part of the package.

You'll do fine. Lots of good drivers on UP.net to connect with.

UTX1

If you get a ping at a Police Station, it's probably someone just getting released.
Had two of those in past two weeks. I still take the request. Makes for an interesting conversation
on the way, usually on their way back home to take a shower and smoke something.

Status
Not open for further replies.