Does anyone cancel a ride because it doesn't take them back to their core area?

jmpric

So a pax told me that on her last ride request the driver accepted the ping, then called her and asked her where she was going. She was traveling within OC. Driver was from LA. He asked her to cancel because he was trying to get back to LA. WTF?!? Go offline and drive home, or accept the requests you're dealt.

Mountainsoloist

I'm okay with that. It's SoCal. There are plenty of other drivers to do the Orange County run and he will probably get a ping back to core LA.

Some day they might decide to make us actual independent contractors and add a destination filter. Until then we just have to call them the old fashioned way.

TomDewey

So a pax told me that on her last ride request the driver accepted the ping, then called her and asked her where she was going. She was traveling within OC. Driver was from LA. He asked her to cancel because he was trying to get back to LA. WTF?!? Go offline and drive home, or accept the requests you're dealt.
WTF is with U? The driver is only trying to make the best out of the situation by not driving for the base rate. Since he drove from LA, he does not get any boost driving in OC, hence driving at negative loss driving people around in OC.

Tuhes

It was probably me.I can't drive without metals in OC and was trying to get back to my "precious"medals

Last edited:

jmpric

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WTF is with U? The driver is only trying to make the best out of the situation by not driving for the base rate. Since he drove from LA, he does not get any boost driving in OC, hence driving at negative loss driving people around in OC.
Who says you drive at negative loss in OC? The time he wastes canceling all the OC rides, he could've been halfway back to LA.

SCdave

I don't do this. Just feels wrong. But actually I'm the stupid one. Yup, I'm a moron.

I'm enabling Uber specifically and the TNC System on a whole to be horribly inefficience.

I'm not just grossly lowering my per mile net income, but I'm also being a gross polluter driving 1000s of miles each year empty. For some TNC Drivers, that is easily 10,000s of Empty Miles per year.

During the Rideshare start-up phase, it might have been what was required to increase the Request to Pick Up times. Yes, it obviously helped to have Closest to Requesting PAX pick them up Blind to the destination (like an employee would and currently does) , and take that Rider " as instructed" to wherever they want to go.

But the Culture Shift to TNCs is done and done, at least, in my LA / OC market and I'm sure most major markets.

So now, Driving Empty Miiles isn't necessary. Think how freaking inefficient it is. Think how much it contributes to pollution besides Forcing drivers to pay for Rider Convenience of shorter pick up times. And Drivers covering the expense of Empty miles to grow Uber's TNC business.

We dont need a strike, we need to start calling PAX and asking were they are going. Let the National Media have fun with Uber firing us "employee" drivers for doin this. That will be just great PR for Uber and the legislators Uber is currently lobbying " the old fashion Chicago way". Or maybe Judge Chen might have an opinion on this while contemplating the Uber vs Driver as Employee Classaction Lawsuit?

So ya, I'm a wimp. I'm a moron. I'm just plain stupid for not calling to ask for the destination and doing Uber's job for them.

Hey where's a good journalist looking for, "the right" Uber TNC Rideshare storyline when you need 'em?

ssingyy

Only if its later in the shift and I want to go home.

Most of the time calling pax wins out.
All of the time positioning yourself wins out.
Sometimes I just have to suck it up and dead mile to those positions.

You win some you lose some.

Just try to keep those acceptance rates high, cancellations low.

Tedgey

I think this is a bad practice. I supposed it's better than just not showing up but the driver ought to be the one to cancel if that's the way he wants to do it.

FYI, pax are asked why if they cancel and they have a list of reasons they can pick from. One of the options is "driver asked me to cancel."

TomDewey

Who says you drive at negative loss in OC? The time he wastes canceling all the OC rides, he could've been halfway back to LA.
If u drive for the base rate, then u are not making any money. I don't know what u consider making money but majority of the forum readers are highly apt in making more than minimum wage, otherwise they would not UBER.

LGBNEWBIEDRIVER

And everyone wonders why things are so messed up with UBER ? This is totally not acceptable and irresponsible of the driver. I had a PAX in Hollywood TWO weeks ago stuck at HARDROCK CAFE Hollywood Blvd as he had requested four times as an UBER X passenger to LAX and each driver refused. One even told him to go the the corner and head down stairs to catch the UBER TRAIN TO LAX ( REDLINE). The bottom line is this. We are a service. If there are NO PAX it means NO SURGE , NO JOBS, NO MONEY. ......Doing this job has a morale responsibility and not about just making money. I gladly took him and his kids to LAX.

Last edited:

LGBNEWBIEDRIVER

I don't do this. Just feels wrong. But actually I'm the stupid one. Yup, I'm a feaking morron.

I'm enabling Uber specifically and the TNC System on a whole to be horribly inefficience.

I'm not just grossly lowering my per mile net income, but I'm also being a gross polluter driving 1000s of miles each year empty. For some TNC Drivers, that is easily 10,000s of Empty Miles per year.

During the Rideshare start-up phase, it might have been what was required to increase the Request to Pick Up times. Yes, it obviously helped to have Closest to Requesting PAX pick them up Blind to the destination (like an employee would and currently does) , and take that Rider " as instructed" to wherever they want to go.

But the Culture Shift to TNCs is done and done, at least, in my LA / OC market and I'm sure most major markets.

So now, Driving Empty Miiles isn't necessary. Think how freaking inefficient it is. Think how much it contributes to pollution besides Forcing drivers to pay for Rider Convenience of shorter pick up times. And Drivers covering the expense of Empty miles to grow Uber's TNC business.

We dont need a strike, we need to start calling PAX and asking were they are going. Let the National Media have fun with Uber firing us "employee" drivers for doin this. That will be just great PR for Uber and the legislators Uber is currently lobbying " the old fashion Chicago way". Or maybe Judge Chen might have an opinion on this while contemplating the Uber vs Driver as Employee Classaction Lawsuit?

So ya, I'm a wimp. I'm a morron. I'm just plain stupid for not calling to ask for the destination and doing Uber's job for them.

Hey where's a good journalist looking for, "the right" Uber TNC Rideshare storyline when you need 'em?

I AM TOTALLY IN DISAGREEMENT WITH THIS STATEMENT . NO STRIKE IS NECESSARY RETHINKING YOUR JOB IS.

PacificCoast

I do not do this. If I'm well outside the zone, I'll either

1: Pick up a few fares hoping I can get a return, then log off if no joy and deadhead back

2: just logoff and deadhead back.

What you've described is just bad form.
I do the same. I don't mind taking a few negative rides cuz it all evens out and is positive in the end. The next one that you think is negative can turn into a jackpot.

XUberMike

We're "rideshare" sharing our ride with someone going in our direction. I have no problem with what this driver did, in fact props. LA drivers make less driving in the OC so if your going to make less at least make less going in the direction you need to go as it's better than zero.

SmokeyTheRobot

Nobody has any sort of obligation to accept a contract that isn't in their favor. If Uber starts losing customers due to cancellations they'll have to start showing drivers destinations. Nobody is getting stranded, there is a driver nearby who would want the trips I cancel.

Last edited by a moderator: