1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Does Anchorage have an active uber force?

Discussion in 'Anchorage' started by mattadams, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mattadams

mattadams Well-Known Member

Just curious. I'll be flying in in a few weeks, and debating between renting a car, or just ubering around town as needed. Not the best time of year to go exploring, especially depending on what kind of rental car they might give me, so just trying to figure out transportation to/from the hotel and airport and such.

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Driveondriver13

Driveondriver13 New Member

No uber in Alaska. Alaska ran them off.

negeorgia and tohunt4me like this.
  3. mattadams

Good to know thanks for the info. I already rented a car, so we'll see how it does up there...

4. ABC123DEF

ABC123DEF Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I wouldn't mind if everyone else ran them off. :p

tohunt4me and Driveondriver13 like this.
  5. Driveondriver13

Driveondriver13 New Member

Be careful they are currently going threw a blizzard. My parents live in Wasilla and my dad works in Anchorage so he has to drive through the crap in which he said last night he couldn't even see anything while driving on the road.

tohunt4me likes this.

6. mattadams

Thanks :). I am not up there until next Monday. Looking at the weather forecast for next week, it doesn't look quite as bad as it could be for Anchorage. I'm used to driving in snow and being in the cold, so it'll be an adventure if nothing else. It's my 49th state to visit as an adult.

negeorgia and tohunt4me like this.
  7. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Uber Anchorage !
    The economy sled dog ride share ! Screenshot_2017-01-17-12-03-35.png

8. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Are you related to Sarah Palin?

9. mattadams

Well it's too bad anchorage doesn't have ubers... because I saw more cabs in this city than just about any other major city I've visited recently, except for possibly San Francisco and New York City. The place is swarming with cabs! Bummer for anyone here with a decent car looking to make an extra buck.

10. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

U dont wish uber to be there. Alaska 1 of few areas where u can be a "humanbeing". Once they come there then they will make robot everything over there. We all know ubers end is AI take over. Skynet

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  11. Surgeless in Seattle

Surgeless in Seattle Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah, and it's a miracle they get anywhere in the winter with their tires spinning as much as they do - they need GPS billing something fierce. Remarkably the same trip in the sumner is half the distance - go figure?

12. mattadams

I had to take a cab last weekend in Anchorage. It reminded me how inefficient the cab system is and how lucky we are to have uber.
    I went for a run along the coastal trail, and due to an unexpected detour, ended up fairly far from where I wanted to be. I had planned an 11-mile run, but found myself 13 miles in and just finally got back to the trail... So, I wanted a ride back to kincaid park. Had to figure out where I was, call the taxi company (I'd written down their number ahead of time), give them a specific address (apparently a park name wasn't enough) and then had to wait about 15 minutes. Two cabs came by but they weren't dispatched for me, and both wanted to pick me up but I didn't want to screw over whichever driver did finally get dispatched to me. Finally the right guy came, and I had to tell HIM how to get to Kincaid park. Good gravy.
    The right was about $33. I imagine if Uber was there it would have been much cheaper, less hassle, and faster.

Surgeless in Seattle likes this.
  13. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

Haha really? It dont matter what you take uber or a cab. Ive tooken an uber only 3 miles and costed me $68! He went down a one way road in wrong direction!

It might be cheaper at times to have an uber but in reality uber driver or taxi driver they see you as money. If you get an uber driver thats too far calls and asks where you at and if it dont benefit the rider they will tell you to cancel. So if ypu in a far area you screwed. Then if they do pick you up it must be slow then ypu can have a rider whos complaining about it.

Ive learned best thing to do is have your own vehical

14. mattadams

yeah I had a rental car all week... just left it at kincaid. Wanted to run the whole trail, but couldn't run 22 miles... especially witht he detour in place. Ahh well, guess it doesn't matter too much. I wish uber luck in coming to anchorage.

15. Surgeless in Seattle

Surgeless in Seattle Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh man, I want to go home so bad! I'm sorry you had a bad experience, good on you having the number handy!

So many cabs in anchorage because if you live in the village you probably don't drive so you're not likely to rent/drive when you fly/move into town; with only 10% of the state accessible by car I'd bet there might even be more skilled pilots vs car drivers. (Note I said skilled - not licensed!!!)