• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Does a cancellation fee apply here?

LyftNewbie10

I go out of my way to pick up someone who has made a request through Uber at 12:30 am. There is a 2 minute timer (in lieu of the 5 minutes that you would find---usually--- with Lyft). At the end of the 2 minutes, the timer switches backs to zero/0, and begins counting your wait time. After a few seconds, of waiting, I call the rider.

He says....

I need an Uber an hour from now (1:30 am). :rolleyes: I believe he was hoping that I could help him/give him a ride at that time. I suggest that he call back in an hour, and wish him the best.

Doesn't a cancellation fee apply here?
Uber is resisting to pay me, saying that I didn't wait 5 minutes, despite the 2-minute timer AND the fact that he needed a ride in an hour.

sickofubersbs

good luck with that I still have not been paid for my work last week and they are refusing to allow me to withdraw my instant pay all due to an error they made by sending my pay to my routing # instead of the account # so yeah all the best with that.

flyntflossy10

sounds like you already know the answer to this. why do you think him needing a ride later that night helps your cause? you screwed up. move on

LyftNewbie10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You HAVE to wait the five minutes (the two and then the three) and that’s what you should have done. Let him cancel or wait the five minutes and then cancel no show. If you cancel before the five minutes is up you get nothing.
Not true re: two and three. Other times, I have not waited three and have been automatically paid.

After another rebuttal, I was just paid $3.75 for a cancellation fee.

Merc7186

I remember my first ride...

Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family during this trying time.

LyftNewbie10

good luck with that I still have not been paid for my work last week and they are refusing to allow me to withdraw my instant pay all due to an error they made by sending my pay to my routing # instead of the account # so yeah all the best with that.
Sorry to hear that. Try getting in touch with the bank; maybe they can help?

Uber Crack

Author
What did you put as your reason for cancelling? Personally I'd have waited the 5 mins. Cancelled rider no show and collected the guaranteed $3.75.
There are circumstances where you get a cancel fee sooner than 5 mins but those are few and far between, like hen's teeth. My advice - forget about it and move on.

peteyvavs

I go out of my way to pick up someone who has made a request through Uber at 12:30 am. There is a 2 minute timer (in lieu of the 5 minutes that you would find---usually--- with Lyft). At the end of the 2 minutes, the timer switches backs to zero/0, and begins counting your wait time. After a few seconds, of waiting, I call the rider.

He says....

I need an Uber an hour from now (1:30 am). :rolleyes: I believe he was hoping that I could help him/give him a ride at that time. I suggest that he call back in an hour, and wish him the best.

Doesn't a cancellation fee apply here? Uber is resisting to pay me, saying that I didn't wait 5 minutes, despite the 2-minute timer AND the fact that he needed a ride in an hour.
LOL, Uber just gave you the ROYAL SHAFT, that’s what you get for being nice.

LyftNewbie10

LOL, Uber just gave you the ROYAL SHAFT, that’s what you get for being nice.
I did get the cancellation fee. The rider didn't need the ride for another hour, and I wasn't going to wait. :wink: I guess he was trying to reserve a ride?

reg barclay

With Uber you get a cancellation fee for one of two reasons. 1.) The pax cancels more than 2 minutes after you accepted the ride. 2.) The driver cancels after waiting more than 5 minutes at the rider's location. In your case none of the above applied, so no, you weren't entitled to a cancellation fee according to Uber's rules. If they paid you after you contacted them, it was either a courtesy of some kind or a CSR mistake.

The two minute timer on Uber rides is to let you know when you start getting paid wait time (which gets added to the fare if you take the trip). Once the two minute timer ends, you still need to wait another 3, for a total of 5 minutes, to cancel for no show and get a fee.

TomTheAnt

The two minute timer on Uber rides is to let you know when you start getting paid wait time (which gets added to the fare if you take the trip). Once the two minute timer ends, you still need to wait another 3, for a total of 5 minutes, to cancel for no show and get a fee.
Pretty simple, really. 👍

cumonohito

I had a request at a nearby train station, around 9:45pm or so, upon arrival, no train, no passenger, I waited the 2 minutes, texted passenger that I arrived, to which he replied that the train is due to arrive at 10:30pm. I waited the 5 minutes needed to cancel for a fee, and prior to canceling I texted back that he needs to put another request upon arrival as I'm not waiting until 10:30pm. Cancelled, got my $3.75 and moved on. Around 10:25 or so, I was still in the area and drove to the station in the hopes of picking up this "known" fare, did not get him, but caught another one.

LyftNewbie10

so no, you weren't entitled to a cancellation fee according to Uber's rules. If they paid you after you contacted them, it was either a courtesy of some kind or a CSR mistake
Wrong. There was no "mistake", as evidenced by the acknowledgement/follow-up email from Uber.

Uber factored in my travel time and effort, waiting time and the fact that the rider was not going to materialize for another hour.

You guys aren't reading the details that I provided above.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Not true re: two and three. Other times, I have not waited three and have been automatically paid.

After another rebuttal, I was just paid $3.75 for a cancellation fee.

He says....

Doesn't a cancellation fee apply here? Uber is resisting to pay me, saying that I didn't wait 5 minutes, despite the 2-minute timer AND the fact that he needed a ride in an hour.
This would count as rider being a no show, so yes the 5 mins is mandatory. Sorry bro maybe if you keep bugging them one of the CSR’s will help.

reg barclay

Wrong. There was no "mistake", as evidenced by the acknowledgement/follow-up email from Uber.

Uber factored in my travel time and effort, waiting time and the fact that the rider was not going to materialize for another hour.

You guys aren't reading the details that I provided above.
Uber's website tells us when we are eligible for a cancellation fee:
You'll be eligible for a cancellation fee when:
- Your rider cancels more than 2 minutes after you accept their trip and you are making progress toward their pickup
- Your rider doesn't arrive at the pickup location within 5 minutes of your arrival. After that window of time, you'll be eligible for a cancellation fee.

None of those things applied to your case, which is why you didn't get a cancellation fee automatically. It makes no difference what the pax said to you by phone or text. If they're not in the car by 5 minutes you can cancel and get paid. Less than 5 minutes you don't get paid, that's it. The fact that a CSR decided to pay you after you complained enough doesn't change the rules.

LyftNewbie10

Uber's website tells us when we are eligible for a cancellation fee:
You'll be eligible for a cancellation fee when:
- Your rider cancels more than 2 minutes after you accept their trip and you are making progress toward their pickup
- Your rider doesn't arrive at the pickup location within 5 minutes of your arrival. After that window of time, you'll be eligible for a cancellation fee.

None of those things applied to your case, which is why you didn't get a cancellation fee automatically. It makes no difference what the pax said to you by phone or text. If they're not in the car by 5 minutes you can cancel and get paid. Less than 5 minutes you don't get paid, that's it. The fact that a CSR decided to pay you after you complained enough doesn't change the rules.
At the end of the day, I collected a cancellation fee. Given the unique circumstances, I was entitled to it. Your longwinded rebuttal has had absolutely no bearing on this situation and the final outcome.

This is becoming another, non-productive pissing match, that is going nowhere. Adios.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
UbermanSydney Sydney 1
F San Francisco 3
Samson5121 Miami 3