• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Doea working night shift only has affects on your health?

Takez

There is an argument about some people saying it doesn't matter what time you sleep as long as you get 8 hours of sleep.

FrankWalker

As long as you get into a routine of working the same time every day, you won't mess with your circadian rhythm too much, and you should be fine.

Just some things to be careful of though:

1) Fewer healthy food places open at night time (eg. Subway, Asian food). You're often stuck getting Macca's on a 2am shift.

2) Fewer gyms open too, so exercise is harder to get.

3) If you share a house with other people, you might not be able to do too much housework at night time in fear of waking them up, so you'll be left with a messy house.

4) Vitamin D is harder to get. You might have to take tablets to compensate.

nozm212

Amount of hours vary for everyone. I need 7.
Skipping sleep at night is definitely bad for health. Ask a healthcare professional.

MasterAnt

U can definitely forget about sleep as a slave ant. U drive when there is more demand haha and wake up mid sleep thinking you missed a long trip notification. Slave ants and sleep two completely different and contrasting things m8. Just count net coin and worry about sleep l8r.

Tom2828

Exercise and diet way more important then the timing of those 8 hours of sleep
That's not correct.
Post automatically merged:

There is an argument about some people saying it doesn't matter what time you sleep as long as you get 8 hours of sleep.
If you work only night shift and sleep at the same time during the day it shouldn't affect your health.

Not had an 8 hours sleep for 30+ years, 4-6 hours is good to go for me
Most people can't function without 6+! hours of sleep. Some can.

of course it does

Thats why people get extra coin for shift work. Shittier job = more pay.
Shift work is different because you switched from day shift to night shift and that what create the health issues (it's exactly like jetlag effect)

Kick poor Ant in guts

Left hook makes a great point. With discipline, night shift can still allow a healthy lifestyle. But. And it’s a big effing but, if you let the day sleeping to get away from you by sliding along your go to sleep times to ridiculously late times, bonging on, eating crap food and no exercise program - you’ve now flipped pretty much everything in your life to become a virtual vampire minus the drinking human blood aspect.

I did weekend hungry in a taxi in the early 90s and after 6 months I was a zombie. Dawn was always witnessed, lots of kebabs were consumed, lots of bongs were smoked - I slowly lost my mind.

I usually started driving at 5pm and this eventually led to me going to bed at 11 am, midday. This had to stop so I reset by having a rule of going to bed no more than 2 hours after I finished driving. Eg finish at 4am, be in bed by 6am. Always go for a jog when you wake up. And eat decent meals. Discipline is the key. If you let your go to bed time slide too late, then you’re asking for trouble.

D-River

Left hook makes a great point. With discipline, night shift can still allow a healthy lifestyle. But. And it’s a big effing but, if you let the day sleeping to get away from you by sliding along your go to sleep times to ridiculously late times, bonging on, eating crap food and no exercise program - you’ve now flipped pretty much everything in your life to become a virtual vampire minus the drinking human blood aspect.

I did weekend hungry in a taxi in the early 90s and after 6 months I was a zombie. Dawn was always witnessed, lots of kebabs were consumed, lots of bongs were smoked - I slowly lost my mind.

I usually started driving at 5pm and this eventually led to me going to bed at 11 am, midday. This had to stop so I reset by having a rule of going to bed no more than 2 hours after I finished driving. Eg finish at 4am, be in bed by 6am. Always go for a jog when you wake up. And eat decent meals. Discipline is the key. If you let your go to bed time slide too late, then you’re asking for trouble.
Before drug testing??

Riders_Please

I have done FT nights and FT days and I feel less tired and much healthier doing days. Eating or drinking alcohol right before bed is not healthy and you need to work harder to control weight. Also it’s much easier to sleep between say 10pm-5am than 4am-11am. From 9am I found I was always being woken up by neighbours, tradies, lawn mowers etc.

fraqtl

I haven't read the latest science on it but I probably should, given this is what I'm currently doing.