1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Dodgy Airport Operator

Discussion in 'Brisbane' started by Hugh G, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugh G

Hugh G Well-Known Member

I've had a few riders on the Sunshine Coast ask me to "could you come back later to give me a return ride for cash".

When I explained that that they can only get rides from operators who have a Booking Entity Authorisation ( https://personalisedtransport.tmr.qld.gov.au/booking-entity-authorisation ) they seem perplexed. Once I explained these rides are illegal and all insurance coverage etc is off they get it.

Several riders have commented the some of our cricket loving drivers are not only touting for a cash return fare, but also handing out cards with their mobile numbers.

Yesterday afternoon at the airport 40 km per hour zone I was nearly run off the road by a vehicle screaming up behind me, then sitting right on my bumper, trying to pass.

Into the passenger pickup area he scurried, quicker than Sachin Tendulkar diving for his crease, I saw him pick up a nice couple who obviously weren't from his neck of the woods, not a stump nor a cricket bat to be seen, just a few suitcases he started loading.

No rideshare sticker displayed and with the boot up could not see his number plate, I went round again and came up behind and got the number plate.

To my surprise it was not a rideshare, more to my surprise - he was transporting passengers in a vehicle where the rego had expired!

Bad luck if he had an accident, he'd probably be in the first plane back to the motherland, just in time to see the finish

Let the games begin!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2018
    Keyringbling and Pen like this.
  2. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Franco would be proud of you :)
    Funny I've only checked once , and " direct hit" uber stickers on, but Purpose of use Private, o_O
    but at least mine was registered.

loinchop and ST DYMPHNA son like this.
  3. Thing

Thing Well-Known Member

amazing what people will do to save a few $$$...

Save 10 bucks here & there, then.... bang.... life turns into an expensive nightmare for decades because you're in a crash with no insurance cover by the driver...

Bandy likes this.
  4. Pen

Pen New Member

I hope you dob him in. Big fines for all of those offences.

Lowestformofwit likes this.
  5. prk

prk Well-Known Member

but at least you get to go on today tonight and whine and moan about your tragic circumstances.

Thing, Lowestformofwit and Golfer like this.
  6. Ben Hall

Ben Hall Well-Known Member

Plenty of Aussie drivers do the same thing, see adelaide forums.

7. Keyringbling

Keyringbling Active Member

Anyone know a good way of recording booked trips once I have my BEA. Good software or app I can use? Kicking off in new financial year.

8. Hugh G

Hugh G Well-Known Member

It would appear that to work for this illegal operation your vehicle cannot be registered.

Another one of our cricket loving drivers dropping off at the Sunshine Coast Airport recently

9. Nawdy

Nawdy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Just use an invoicing app ... that's your record of the job ... easy :)

10. Keyringbling

Keyringbling Active Member

Cheers Nawdy :)

11. Lowestformofwit

Lowestformofwit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    There’s some kind of pro-forma TMR sent out to show the details required for each quarter.
    First one due end of July for the April-June quarter.
    Can’t be arsed looking at it for another month - will create a ‘fictional masterpiece’ if necessary, then.
    NawdyNawdy - was it you mentioned this onerous BEA record keeping for TMR a little while back?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  12. Spursman

Spursman Well-Known Member

Sadly it's not just the members of the Mumbai Camry Club who are doing this. I spoke to another long serving driver who openly boasted about his long list of cash clients. He was unperturbed when I mentioned the insurance issue "I ll just say I was driving some mates" was his solution.

Desperate people do desperate things. To some extent the blame lays with Uber. The massive over supply of drivers and the subsequent dilution of the job pool could drive some people to take risks just to make ends meet.

Sad.

Nawdy and Lowestformofwit like this.
  13. smee

smee New Member

Can anybody else see the irony in this thread? ;)

14. tigermanmantiger5

tigermanmantiger5 Well-Known Member

Irony,
    The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Nope. Cant see the irony

Bandy and Pen like this.
  15. Bandy

Bandy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Mate, seriously, oober is a'Hobby' job, a between 'real job' situation, you're going to deep for crap...

16. Lowestformofwit

Lowestformofwit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Maybe, maybe not, Bandy. Uber (or other app-booking mob) is definitely not full-time money for most, but...
    If he can legally take return trips 'off-app', it mightn't take long to start taking forward trips the same way, and build up a regular clientele - at HIS prices.
    BEA is $250 per year - not a lot to lose to see if there's any potential extra, viable earnings.
    Look at Scottie's YVR in Melbourne - people obviously like a one-on-one with a reliable regular driver.
    As long as he doesn't give up a regular job to try this.

Golfer and Bandy like this.
  17. Bandy

Bandy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I see what yur saying LFOW, but realistically, Mate, seriously, oober is a'Hobby' job, a between 'real job' situation, you're going to deep for crap...

Golfer likes this.
  18. Nod73

Nod73 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My “hobby” regularly makes me an extra $1000-$1300 a week driving night, much more at peak periods of the year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.