Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Yesterday, just as it was getting dark, I picked up 3 younger guys in an area that's a popular bar scene.

Just before I started driving, I saw one had a can of Coors beer. I told him he had to toss out the beer since it was open. His friends tell me there's no beer, just water. I tell them I just saw the beer and either toss it or get out. He starts chugging it, so I shouted, "Get out of my car."

They did, and then I locked my doors. I was fudging with my phone to cancel. I was tired after working 9 hours straight between U/L. The rider cancelled a minute later, so I at least got $3.00.

Is it best to wait for them to cancel?
If you can, cancel it and call support. Be the first to report such incidents, and they will usually give you a cancel fee.

Update....After I reported them, I get a message from U support that some riders were uncomfortable because of an argument.

I'm just livid! I knew what drivers said about false accusations was true, especially since I had it with Eats where some claimed I never delivered, when I did after thousands of deliveries.

I'm done. It's not worth it for Uber. I'll stick with Lyft until I find a traditional job.

Here's the screenshots for anyone who wants to read this Uber crap. I edited parts of it for my anonymity.

For those who want to comment about my lack of paragraph structure or writing style, save yourself the time. I know it's not my best writing, but Im tired, sick of Uber, and just quickly texted them the message.

Thanks all for help.
I do Uber and Lyft, do you think Lyft would have handled it any differently? They both suck!

If they lied about the beer, there's no telling what else they are lying about. Don't give them a second chance because the police wouldn't give you a second chance. And the pax would only downrate you. No matter who cancels, report them to Uber for bringing open beer into your car. They take it seriously.
Uber could care less a paxole had an open beer. It costs them nothing if you get a ticket for open container plus they will just deactivate you due to the open container ticket. Calling the third world Philippines call center will do you no good as they could care less, are an outsourced call center thus not Uber employees, and are paid to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. Only bad things come from calling the third world phone center.

Yesterday, just as it was getting dark, I picked up 3 younger guys in an area that's a popular bar scene.

Just before I started driving, I saw one had a can of Coors beer. I told him he had to toss out the beer since it was open. His friends tell me there's no beer, just water. I tell them I just saw the beer and either toss it or get out. He starts chugging it, so I shouted, "Get out of my car."

They did, and then I locked my doors. I was fudging with my phone to cancel. I was tired after working 9 hours straight between U/L. The rider cancelled a minute later, so I at least got $3.00.

It was their fault. So you should be the one who canceled the ride. Since they canceled the ride, they could have a chance to rate you down and had a chacne to make it as your fault..

I have just studied this..
Can You Legally Drink in an Uber?
The answer is unclear in 40 jurisdictions due to open container exceptions that exist in many states. While regulations vary by state, throughout the U.S., riders are generally permitted to drink in commercial vehicles that are purchased for hire-although drivers have the option to refuse a patron's service at their discretion.
it's unclear whether the Pennsylvania open container exception was meant to apply to companies such as Uber. The exception specifically names buses, taxis and limousines but did not likely contemplate services such as Uber.
So where can you drink in an Uber? Ten states generally allow passengers to consume, or at least possess, an open container in automobiles regardless of who is driving. These states include Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri, Mississippi, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.

i see both sides clearly....... the pros and cons of each set of behaviors are laid out....... one has to decide, inevitably, which works best for them...... doing what isn't easy is work!........lol

Don't feel bad and let it bother you. The rating game is just a psychological trick employed to make us try harder for our .65 cents a mile. You have got to remember that a driver with 4.65 rating is paid the same amount as you are.

I know its frustrating though, I usually have a mid 4.9 rating on Uber and this morning asked a female rider with her 12 or 13 year old son to please buckle up. She hissed back at me "I need to buckle up too?" I responded with "everyone has to be belted in". I knew it was coming... 1 star showed up a little later. Worst part was and I am embarrassed to admit it, I actually gave her the benefit of the doubt and 5 stared her going against my better judgement. You can't win them all.

Picked up one One pax few weeks back , he drove like 200 miles to see his daughter play soccer, and he did not want to drive anymore, was tired.
Picked him up at the hotel, and he asked if it was ok if he drank one can of liquid that bubbles
I said , no problem? Water can form bubbles if you shake it enough.

OMFG... you may have no problem with pax drinking beer in your car, but I sure do. I'm not too thin skinned because otherwise I'd be like you and allow it.

Drivers like you are the problem. They allow pax to break the law. If more drivers had some balls and didn't tolerate this crap, riders may not try it so much.

I had to shout get out because they lied and said it wasn't beer. Plus, my normal voice is very soft.

Thanks to the rest for your insight. Good advice! I do normally stay away from bars, but in my city, there are bars on every corner. Doesn't matter if I stay away from downtown or any city, we have tons of bars. And on the weekend, people start drinking early afternoon.

I did 99 rides this wk, and I'm taking the day off!
You need to stop and get off your high horse. You are a rideshare service. They complied with ur request. And YOU had the problem with them, do you know how many pax lie? You really need to find a different line of work if you kick someone out because they finished their beer BEFORE THE RIDE STARTED. I could see if they finished that one and then they pull out another while on the trip, your well within your right to kick them out, but kicking them out before the ride started because they chugged a beer? That is a very bad move and will get a complaint every time.

I ask everyone bringing in a beer to finish it before we move and I have yet got someone who was mad because I asked or a complaint about an argument.

And don't say that because I allow them to finish their beer is a sign of me being weak, that is a sign of someone who knows how to be a service person.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.