"Do You Tip Your Uber Drivers? Tipping In The U.S. Is Broken, New Study Shows"

Wonkytonk

It's a fantasy to believe that tipping reflects quality of service.

Data from Uber’s early tipping period published recently shows that 60% of riders never tipped at all. Drivers were tipped in just 16% of all rides.

Here & Now‘s Robin Young speaks with Derek Thompson (@DKThomp), senior editor at The Atlantic, about what the Uber study tells us about tipping in general and the myth of meritocracy.
The audio discussion is just under six minutes but well worth the listen because I think it helps break the myth that tipping is all about the quality of service rendered.

lyftbickle

I tip uber drivers five bucks for short trips, ten for long ones. I had a guy tip me ten for a short trip. I guess i better start tipping more.

Wonkytonk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tip uber drivers five bucks for short trips, ten for long ones. I had a guy tip me ten for a short trip. I guess i better start tipping more.
I kind of struggle with what the practical limit should be you know. They charge so little for so many rides that tipping ten to fifteen percent amounts to an insult to the driver really.

I know a lot of drivers think that even a one dollar tip would be appreciated and I suppose monetarily it lifts drivers up, but I mean, what does that say to the driver, here's what your service was worth a measly dollar.

I don't know, I find 1 dollar tips insulting so I generally just try to convince myself that person gave what they could and I should appreciate it, but I know better, like the bar tender that just finished a five hundred dollar tip night who just tossed that one buck my way.

I call him One Buck Chuck. He's a Richard.

I kind of struggle with what the practical limit should be you know. They charge so little for so many rides that tipping ten to fifteen percent amounts to an insult to the driver really.

I know a lot of drivers think that even a one dollar tip would be appreciated and I suppose monetarily it lifts drivers up, but I mean, what does that say to the driver, here's what your service was worth a measly dollar.

I don't know, I find 1 dollar tips insulting so I generally just try to convince myself that person gave what they could and I should appreciate it, but I know better, like the bar tender that just finished a five hundred dollar tip night who just tossed that one buck my way.

I call him One Buck Chuck. He's a Richard.
I find it insulting but to me it really is the thought that counts, lets me know you respect the human code, being poor isn't a crime not tipping is close to one in my eyes if you're 1 if the 90+% who tip for plate, bottle, pizza delivery for items marked up 4000+% but stiff for human delivery subsidized 41% that's an issue to me, it disgusts me & I never want to share oxygen or my vehicle with you again so least make the dollar tip in cash because if ya didn't go 10 miles & it isn't that's a 1 star & unmatch request & has been for 4+ years

Used to roll up pennies and tip $2 in the 90s as a kid if that's all I had for the pizza man

Fuzzyelvis

The audio discussion is just under six minutes but well worth the listen because I think it helps break the myth that tipping is all about the quality of service rendered.
It rarely is. Tippers tip regardless. I do think the amount reflects the service, but whether or not to leave a tip doesn't for most people.
Post automatically merged:

I find it insulting but to me it really is the thought that counts, lets me know you respect the human code, being poor isn't a crime not tipping is close to one in my eyes if you're 1 if the 90+% who tip for plate, bottle, pizza delivery for items marked up 4000+% but stiff for human delivery subsidized 41% that's an issue to me, it disgusts me & I never want to share oxygen or my vehicle with you again so least make the dollar tip in cash because if ya didn't go 10 miles & it isn't that's a 1 star & unmatch request & has been for 4+ years

Used to roll up pennies and tip $2 in the 90s as a kid if that's all I had for the pizza man
I always like the folks who buy $50 of pizza and assorted crap and apologize for not tipping, saying they only had enough money for the food. I always want to tell them you could have not ordered the breadsticks or the soda and that would have been my tip.

Boca Ratman

I don't know, I find 1 dollar tips insulting
So do I. My local news paper is all of about 12 -18 pages. It cost 1.25

Sometimes the one dollar tip I know are from people who normally would tip 0 but feel obligated because the of the tip option.
I guess I should be thankful for that.

I got a $5.00 tip on an 1:45 110 mile XL ride, that was pretty insulting as well.

It rarely is. Tippers tip regardless. I do think the amount reflects the service, but whether or not to leave a tip doesn't for most people.
Post automatically merged:

I always like the folks who buy $50 of pizza and assorted crap and apologize for not tipping, saying they only had enough money for the food. I always want to tell them you could have not ordered the breadsticks or the soda and that would have been my tip.
Been 20 years since I delivered but 90+% tipped for everyone that didn't 1 of the other 9 were extremely generous like $10+ back then, most tips were 2-5$ whatever is cool don't get these x pool riders but that's why I'm mainly xl they tip on double the fare at a much higher % go figure

Non tippers just got put on a list they'd be the last delivery if you went out with multiples so a never-ending loop always not tipping always waiting longest...

You're right though a non tipper will never tip & tippers tip regardless, pointless to try the games

Cold Fusion

I do Not tip.
I reside in an Expensive city of 8,000,000 souls.
The Total Fare ain’t cheap 💰

The fact the driver only gets a small part of that
expensive Total Fare is N0T my problem.

You want higher tips? Become a Bartender, Barber 💈
or Golf ⛳ caddy

Mkang14

I do Not tip.

or Golf ⛳ caddy
Pretty sure you only tip female drivers 💁‍♀️

Wildgoose

I do Not tip.

or Golf ⛳ caddy
Riders think Drivers have no skill while they put their lives in driver's hands.
Should consider to tip for still being alive.