Do you say "No" to the police?

Got to get away

Hi guys,
Long time lurker first time poster. I have been driving for about 6 months and last night I had the oddest experience. I received a ping at about 1 am @ 1.7 surge. Made my way over to the address and it happened to be in a deserted parking lot...well deserted except 8 police cars. I slowly put my pepper spray away and park about 100 feet from them. As they are staring at me I decide to call the PAX. Sure enough an officer answers the phone and says he is making his way to my car. Now why in the world would a P.O need an Uber at 1 am?

I hear the door open and the police officer drops a very drunk, large male Pax into my front seat. Being a female that only tickles 5 feet I am very cautious about who I give rides to and in any other circumstance this would have been a time that I would not allow this PAX into my vehicle.

P.O. smiles at me and says don't worry, he is very drunk but harmless. He then said that he opened the passengers phone and requested the ride from the drunk mans account. I was to take him home up into the foothills 17 miles away. I got out of the car, popped the trunk, took out a towel and puke bucket, told the officer to place that PAX into the back seat. I then voiced my concern to him, officer had a flash of guilt on his face but wished me a safe ride, told the PAX to make sure to give me 5 stars and walked away.

PAX hit on me, tried to climb into the front seat and threatened to sue me and the police all the way to his Million $ plus home. To make matters worse I suspect he may have urinated a bit in my car.

I drive in a small community with a extremely slim women driver ratio. I can not drive at any other hours as this is my second job and I am supporting children with disabilities. What would you have done? If it was anybody else trying to pull this on me I would have drove away but felt rather intimidated by the police.

Got to get away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way no how would I have taken them. I don't let others drop their problems in me - not even the police
You're right, I was truly conflicted with this situation. I was raised with the utmost respect for our officers and couldn't believe that they had zero issue to do that. These are local police that I see every day. If they want to make your life hell driving around here they could easily.

everythingsuber

You ever get into a situation where you see the police are involved don't be intimidated just press cancel. The police were completely irresponsible and put your safety at risk. The police were called to an incident for a reason and it is never a good thing as a woman you should never have been put in that situation.

Squirming Like A Toad

Absolutely not! To begin with the cop committed fraud by using the pax account, and you could possibly have trouble getting paid.

The cops were lazy jerks, they should have have taken him home themselves. Never let this happen; if you got to the destination and he had passed out you would have needed police assistance again as well as possible urine and vomit to deal with.

tohunt4me

Hi guys,
Long time lurker first time poster. I have been driving for about 6 months and last night I had the oddest experience. I received a ping at about 1 am @ 1.7 surge. Made my way over to the address and it happened to be in a deserted parking lot...well deserted except 8 police cars. I slowly put my pepper spray away and park about 100 feet from them. As they are staring at me I decide to call the PAX. Sure enough an officer answers the phone and says he is making his way to my car. Now why in the world would a P.O need an Uber at 1 am?

I hear the door open and the police officer drops a very drunk, large male Pax into my front seat. Being a female that only tickles 5 feet I am very cautious about who I give rides to and in any other circumstance this would have been a time that I would not allow this PAX into my vehicle.

P.O. smiles at me and says don't worry, he is very drunk but harmless. He then said that he opened the passengers phone and requested the ride from the drunk mans account. I was to take him home up into the foothills 17 miles away. I got out of the car, popped the trunk, took out a towel and puke bucket, told the officer to place that PAX into the back seat. I then voiced my concern to him, officer had a flash of guilt on his face but wished me a safe ride, told the PAX to make sure to give me 5 stars and walked away.

PAX hit on me, tried to climb into the front seat and threatened to sue me and the police all the way to his Million $ plus home. To make matters worse I suspect he may have urinated a bit in my car.

I drive in a small community with a extremely slim women driver ratio. I can not drive at any other hours as this is my second job and I am supporting children with disabilities. What would you have done? If it was anybody else trying to pull this on me I would have drove away but felt rather intimidated by the police.
It's good to have e police friends.

Not good to have unfriendly police attention.

uberist

I would report this to the watch comander at PD involved, why didn't they take this guy to the drunk tank for drunk in public.

You mentioned an expensive house, sounds like favoritism to me.

Protect yourself and other drivers, help put a stop to this.

sellkatsell44

Absolutely not! To begin with the cop committed fraud by using the pax account, and you could possibly have trouble getting paid.

The cops were lazy jerks, they should have have taken him home themselves. Never let this happen; if you got to the destination and he had passed out you would have needed police assistance again as well as possible urine and vomit to deal with.
Actually it's fraud if the cop took the ride. The cop could have taken him in, put him in the holding tank and do the appropriate paperwork (which every cop hates)

OR, he could press a button and have y'all take the guy home. The guy gets a break. The police gets a break (no paperwork) but you're left with the short end of the stick.

You should have played the cop and look very weak, and cop out. Excuse my pun. If you're worried about any backlash...simply tell the cop that you're not sure you can handle a drunk and that you'd feel safer if the cop rides along in the car to make sure the drunk is handled (because drunks can have all of a sudden super strength or do something like hit on you, which he did) or, if it's okay, for you to cancel and order another uber with a male driver. The cop would understand, no harm done for you.

But yeah, he was trying to avoid paperwork. If paperwork was as easy as pressing the button, the cops probably would have no problem hauling his arse in.

Beur

Old cop trick, before Uber they ordered taxis.

I would have asked the officer to have a sergeant respond or called the non-emergency number and spoken to the watch commander.

Back in the 80's they shuffled the homeless from one city to the next so they were another city's problem. These day they get in big trouble for passing the problem onto another city and not addressing the individuals needs. All it took was one lawsuit.

Fuzzyelvis

Hi guys,

I wouldn't have taken him, but if I did I woukd have called the police when he acted up and told them I wanted a sergeant to come out and told him what happened and that NOW they could do what they wanted with the pax, but not to expect me to take any more police dumpings.

The pax should have been arrested for PI.

I hope it was surging at least.

kc ub'ing!

Not sure I would've done anything different than you. Except your barf kit! Having to retrieve it from the trunk is a rookie move. You'll never have time to get it when you need it. Barfers are a crafty lot. Unpredictable and sneaky. I realize you're cautious of who you pick up, but you cannot recognize a barfer. That's folly! Toss the bucket and get some large zip lock bags. Keep them within arms reach, out of the box and unzipped. Seconds count!

As a veteran of 4 barf attacks, one successful, to my ever lasting shame, you can trust me. If you drive at night, someone will attempt to barf in your car. It is inevitable and only your preparedness will save you. I believe in you, godspeed tiny uberer.

thomas1955

Dont do popo pickups, not at jail, not at bar, not at court house... not even quick trip, if the rider is at a location with lots of police around that are not normally there like airport, I just cancel and drive away.

SibeRescueBrian

Last year, I got pinged in Princeton, NJ around 3am during a 1.8x surge. Similar to the OP, when I pulled up, there were 2 cop cars waiting at the pin. One of the officers approached me to explain that the lady who needed the ride was ditched by her so-called "friends," was a bit drunk, but not completely wasted. He said that he would totally understand if I declined the ride and gave me the option to cancel. Since I was the only Uber in the area and no cabs appeared to be in the area, I accepted because I didn't want to leave her stranded. I took her home to Easton, PA (about 52 miles away), and she was overly talkative, but otherwise pleasant. Even though that experience went well, I would definitely make similar decisions on a case by case basis.

Another Uber Driver

No way no how would I have taken them. I don't let others drop their problems in me - not even the police
Original Poster's description is missing something. If the police started to pour this guy into the car, I would agree with the above advice. If someone is trying to pour someone else into my car, I will deny him the opportunity. At the minimum, I would have gotten the occifer's shield number, and, if the trip went south (which this one did), I would first talk to the Watch Commander. If this produced no results, I would pursue it until it did.

Old cop trick, before Uber they ordered taxis.
Yes, they did. Back in the day when the cab drivers here could get front money, the first thing that I did was ask the police if he had money. They could say anything to me that they wanted, but, if the guy had no money, I did not have to take him. If he did have money, but I did not want to take him, if he were drunk, I did not have to take him, either. I would haul drunks, but not someone so drunk that they poured him into the cab. The police used to threaten me, but I reminded more than one occifer that if he had no money, the law did not require me to carry him.

Even though that experience went well, I would definitely make similar decisions on a case by case basis.
If they are so drunk that they must get poured into the car, no, they will not ride with me. Other than that, as quoted poster states, you decide on a case-by-case basis. On Uber, you need not worry if they have no money. You do have to worry that they might file a complaint the next day, Uber takes their part and takes away your money.

One of the things that I always have done when dealing with this type of job is ask the person who called if the passenger wants to go. Of course, the person who called usually says "Yes, he wants to go". Every once in a while, however, the person who called dissembles. When that happens, I leave. When the person who called brings the rider, my doors are locked. I ask the rider if he wants to go. If he says anything but a clear, unequivocal "yes", I leave. If he says "yes", I make sure that he can pay and that he knows where he is going. If he knows where he is going, I make sure that he understands that we are going there, and there, only. There will be no stops, no change of mind, no side-trips. If the rider gives me any lip or waffles, I leave.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Strange Fruit

You're right, I was truly conflicted with this situation. I was raised with the utmost respect for our officers and couldn't believe that they had zero issue to do that. These are local police that I see every day. If they want to make your life hell driving around here they could easily.
You were raised by the naive then. Sorry this happened to you. I'd be uncomfortable saying no to them too, but you have an easy excuse. Yr sex & size. How rude that he told you he's harmless when he doesn't even know the guy. Then again, to him yr just some dumb girl so he didn't care. If he did, he'd give the ride himself with the drunk guy in their plastic back seat behind a cage. Tough dudes like some cops are, don't think highly of women. I hope you have at least learned that from this experience. Since you were brought up with bad info. ;-)

UberKevPA

You can say no to the police, technically, but be ready to stand your ground and ask to speak to a supervisor. In any case, you'd better gather names, badge numbers, etc and I would even ask for one of the officer's cell phone numbers in case things went south en route. As a smaller female driver, I would have played that card, cancelled and told the officers to seek out a male driver, someone better equipped to deal with a male drunk fresh off a run-in with the cops.

Another Uber Driver is spot on here: cops use cabs, psych hospitals and even other law enforcement agencies as a dumping ground for the unpleasant cases they don't care to bother with. I have been on the receiving end of these many times in my non-Uber life.

Tim In Cleveland

He then said that he opened the passengers phone and requested the ride from the drunk mans account.
1) This is big clue that the pax didn't consent to the ride....REFUSE. 2)If the pax has to be helped to the car.....REFUSE. 3) If you suspect the pax is so drunk they might not be able to get out of the car without help....REFUSE. 4) You are not a paramedic and can't handle someone who might have alcohol poisoning. Recommend an ambulance and LEAVE. 5) Pax peed in your car? Get pics and demand a cleaning fee.

Uber Dragons

Just say no, you're under no obligation.

You could also have told the officer you were uncomfortable doing the ride as the pax didn't request it personally.