1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Do you rely on this job to survive?

Discussion in 'People' started by Ubercycle, Dec 30, 2016.

?

Do you rely On Uber to survive?

Poll closed Jan 29, 2017.
  1. Full time job, 100% rely on this job

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Second job 50% or less

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Just extra Money once in while

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  4. Doing it for fun

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Do you rely on Uber to survive?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Blackout 702 likes this.
  2. mindthelines

mindthelines New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Nope. Uber is a stress reliever believe it or not.

3. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

You got to pray just to make it these days!

VegasR and Kembolicous like this.
  4. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

It's a stress reliever and it also pays for my on line dates.

Uberyouber and Blackout 702 like this.
  5. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same, though Uber is paying my car payments and then some.

Blackout 702 likes this.

6. Southdiver

Southdiver Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Crap; if those were my only bills, I COULD survive with just Uber.
    As it is; I had to purchase a second house which wasn't too bad but, I severely underestimated the cost of repairs that were needed so I had to take out a HELOC. That pushed me into an uncomfortable zone. Driving Uber allows me to make my HELOC payment plus put some money back into my savings account.

7. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Uber is a time filler for me. Better to make money on my days off than spend money.

Blackout 702, UberHund and Danny3xd like this.
  8. EX_

EX_ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I'm willing to bet that the majority of drivers out there (and here on UP.net) are doing this as a secondary income, I want to live comfortably and build up savings so I endure the Uber/Lyft life and the pax that come with it. No shame in saying that its a bit of a necessity.

However, I am very skeptical when people say they do this for "fun" or a "stress reliever". They must be picking up very different clients than I am or don't mind bending over backwards for base fares.

9. Over/Uber

Over/Uber Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    This

10. NCUberGuy

NCUberGuy Member

2nd job to pay off debt.

11. CommiePuddin

CommiePuddin Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA nope

Blackout 702 likes this.
  12. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

The box I'd like to check would be 75% reliant on Uber.

Overall I find Uber fun. I would far rather be driving people home from bars and clubs than hanging out at such places.

Blackout 702 likes this.
  13. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

I just do a few mornings a week. So maybe $200 a week. I find it bothersome when folks who are doing this as a full time job suggest People like me who are doing it part time and for fun and extra cash are some how depriving them of work. Not once have I seen or read on their adds that they were highering for jobs. It's always "side hustle" extra cash excetera. Uber, especially, lied about possible income but they still never offered employment. I accepted what they offered. A side gig for extra cash. The way they do the math, only when there is a passenger in the car, it does pay. Not close to what they said but better than sitting at home watching TV. So when I am not working and watching tv in my car, (netflix, contour) I don't say I am working, either.

Kinda feel bad for folks who are trying to live on this. Pizza delivery pays far better.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  14. Kembolicous

Kembolicous Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

15. Fredly00

Fredly00 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Turn it on for my commute, if I get a ping great, if not thats ok too.

Danny3xd and Blackout 702 like this.
  16. Sloven1

Sloven1 Member

You should ask your "date" to request a ride from you after your "date" to recoup some of the cost of said "date".

goon70056 likes this.
  17. Danny3xd

Great nic, Sloven!

18. Lance88over

Lance88over New Member

I'll be go to ****, I'm a uber Driver! HAY Aaaaaalllllll! What kind of world am I walking into here??!!

Danny3xd likes this.
  19. LoveTheBlues

LoveTheBlues Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think I can shed some light on that. My day job provides 90% of my income and significant stress. I also invited my long-time girlfriend and her 5 teenage kids to move in with me. She travels for work so when she's not home, my passengers are less stressful than the daily drama of teenage girls at home. I'm not going to say there isn't stress in driving for Uber/Lyft but it's very different type of stress. I am a relatively laid back driver that has learned not to get too excited by other drivers stupidity or the occasional a**hole pax. I do the best I can to provide a safe pleasant experience for the passenger and it makes one for me. I don't really worry about ratings although I haven't had a problem with them either. And while I do make an effort to maximize earnings by learning the tricks of where to be when, I don't get too stressed by it.

I will say that I do truly sympathize with drivers doing this for a living as I would find that very stressful and discouraging. Uber was, is and will always be a disruptive technology. They are not a transportation company, they are a technology company that sub-contracts the transportation to a sea of "Ants" (us). They focus on bringing as many people as possible in to the pool of drivers and riders as that is the way they stay ahead of the competition and maximize their position. For those that ever thought or were lead to believe Uber would be motivated to protect driver earnings, I am sorry that is not going to happen no matter how much we complain. That is not where their money lies and as we see, we are expendable. I'm not trying to be mean, just facing reality. Those of you that signed on early while they were trying to build their fleet of ants saw a different world than those of us that came later. As this survey shows, 80% of us are part time and there is an endless pool of candidates to fill our part time shoes as we come and go. The reality is that we are easier to replace than passengers.

So what I do is accept that reality, do the best I can to work within it and have no illusion that Uber will change or that this will provide for my retirement. It is what it is. No more, no less and a relatively easy way to drive, earn money and meet people with very little commitment. That's low sterss to me.

20. Danny3xd

That was purty awesome and a great read, LTB.

An' pretty much summed up how I feel about and address this gig. I can stress out over very little. But man, I really like this "work" (that still cracks me up)

If my head is on right that day, this is fun and easy, not a lot, of cash sort o' deal. Meet some great and fun people and just pretty much drive around. There is gonna be some stress in a day no matter what. Luckily and if overly stressed out while Uber/lyfting, I just hang it up for the day. Very often find out I was just in a gonna be "stressed-out, no matter wut" sort of mindset.

"I will say that I do truly sympathize with drivers doing this for a living as I would find that very stressful and discouraging.'

Man! me too.

But again. Great post.

Blackout 702 likes this.