Do you present your plight to try to elicit tips? I do.

backcountryrez

So lately, I've been a little more talkative to riders and for the most part, they normally ask what I do regularly since many assume either I work at the local university or study there due to the parking hangtag on my rear view mirror.

I tell them what I do outside of Uber and Lyft and I've also been taking creative liberties (oh, my residency pays me peanuts, my student debt can feed a tiny island nation, I do this but can't drive much because I'll be fired for moonlighting, etc.).

The weird thing is that when I mention the name of university I work for, I rarely if ever get a tip. However, when I mention the residency program I'm currently in, I tend to be tipped generously.

It's strange (as least IME) how what you say can affect the pax's impression of you.

Do any of you fellow drivers tell the same kinds of stories?

Cableguynoe

When I first started I would say that I started driving so I could save up to take my daughter to her first trip to Disneyland, which was actually true. It seemed to help with tips, so I kept using it even after our trip.
However, now they can see how long I've been driving, can't really use that anymore.

corniilius

The trip is already paid for. When it comes to tips, how much one gets depends on how well they sell themselves. In most instances, we will never see these people again, so take whatever liberties you need to in order to get that extra buck. The pax will be none the wiser.

empresstabitha

So lately, I've been a little more talkative to riders and for the most part, they normally ask what I do regularly since many assume either I work at the local university or study there due to the parking hangtag on my rear view mirror.

I tell them what I do outside of Uber and Lyft and I've also been taking creative liberties (oh, my residency pays me peanuts, my student debt can feed a tiny island nation, I do this but can't drive much because I'll be fired for moonlighting, etc.).

The weird thing is that when I mention the name of university I work for, I rarely if ever get a tip. However, when I mention the residency program I'm currently in, I tend to be tipped generously.

It's strange (as least IME) how what you say can affect the pax's impression of you.

Anyway to connect to the passenger is a good way to get tips. We all have loved ones who are sick or have been struggling. We all love oir families and do whatcwe can to support them. If they ask I share and typically we can connect through something.

Reactions: MHR

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I like tips but I'm not a beggar. I don't tell stories to elicit tips.

I do feel that revealing that I have college degrees both reduces tips and seems to make riders seem more resentful, even though I'm not making a dime off my college degrees.

Yep it seems like some pax are mildly offended when you actually have an education, or even a better day job than they do...you're supposed to be a humble, grovelling servant who lets them break the law for $5. I try my best to serve, but my pride doesn't prevent me from telling them about my FT career.

I don't make up stories but I tell the truth: I have multiple children who are involved in activities and all that takes $$$. Everything costs $$$. Trying to pay off debt, etc.

The ones that crack me up are the college students who spend the whole trip talking amongst themselves, but loudly enough that I can hear, about some fancy degree program or oversees trip they are involved with. It's like they assume they will be earning 5x my income the second they graduate. I don't burst their bubble unless they ask.

I don't tell the pax too much about myself.

I need to follow this advice more. As someone else said "nothing good comes from talking to pax". Buy it's hard to evade the direct question "do you do this full time?" and I've always been allergic to lying...it's just not who I am.

Uberingdude

Great topic. Considering it could effect tips, probably deserves consideration.

tohunt4me

No.
Why would i tell them about my poor sick blind cat dying, who kept me home from work for 3 weeks.
Who clawed her way onto my bed blind and weak to sleep beside me.
And how i could not bear to leave her alone in her final hours ?

Or how all money in my tip jar is being saved for little Timmothys Kidney . . . .

And some Fava beans . . .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-20-01-14-05.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-20-01-14-05.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
Just chat up rider. Most of my rides always end up in some sort of convo. Be honest be dont try to hard and let rider decide if you earn a tip. As a rider myself a 10 minute drive to my full time job is worth $5 . 30 minute drive from work to car dealership when my car needs work done is worth $10. We are the same as riders. Either you have tipping in your DNA or dont. Be honest do you tip? Do you tip your local bartender on your weekend? Do you tip at a restuarant? Do you tip fellow drivers when you use Uber ? I do. Good service or not i tip. A driver gives me a sob story or no sob story i am giving that $5 or $10.

steveK2016

I would talk about builsing a business and doing Uber at nights to stay in the hard game of building a business. I tell them a story of when I picked up a vp of a major box retails store and how it was like Shark Tank: Mobile Edition.

People like that type of hard working stories and I earned a lot of tips in my time driving.

While the company has been bought out, ill probbaly use the same backstory to solicit tips.

People like positive stories that they can feel like they're contributing even in a small way. Don't go negative with whatever story you do tell.