Do you pick up minors? Is it worth the risk?

Grahamcracker

Underage girls take Uber ride from Surprise to Phoenix
By Cameron Polom | Updated Sept. 4, 2017, 10:47 p.m. PDT

“I thought her father had maybe had a conversation with her before and she was spending the night with a friend,” said Tesla Collins.

That is until Collins found out the truth about her 14-year-old stepdaughter's night.

That truth was that she and a friend snuck out of the house on Sunday and decided they’d call an Uber to get them across town.

“Just to think any child can, any child, your child, that’s scary,” said Collins.

Scary because according to UBER policy, anyone under the age of 18 is prohibited from using their services.

But that didn’t stop the teens from catching a ride from their home in Surprise.

“The initial pickup was outside the house around 12:45 a.m., they were then dropped off on a corner at 35th and Glendale avenues,” said Collins.

While she’s furious at the girls and doesn’t excuse their actions, she also doesn’t understand why the driver didn’t question their age.

“There’s no mistaking that these were underage girls,” said Collins.

But, ABC15 found out, setting up an account is quite easy and doesn’t even require age verification, just that you're not a robot.

“They need to be checking ID’s,” said Tony Ponte.

Tony, the girl's father says she’s grounded and will definitely pay for her mistake, but he’d also like to see Uber tighten their restrictions when it comes to teens.

“I just want a reaction from Uber more than anybody,” said Ponte.

ABC15 got that reaction from Uber who said the girls violated their terms of agreement by signing up for the account and ordering the ride. They’ve since banned the girls account and will take appropriate action with the driver who picked them up.

unPat

IMG_2236.PNG
Uber will kick you out if you pick up minors.

miggon123

Agree they should verify ids. Also makes it safer for the driver if the passengers info is in the system. However i dont understand why the driver is getting so much backlash. Was probably busy, dark outside and most kids especially girls look way older. We're not bartenders the father should be in trouble for not disciplining his little monsters that probably cost this man his job and more.

MSUGrad9902

Everybody whom I suspect is underage I have them on my dash cam or in a text telling me they are over 18. We are not required to check IDs, just confirm that the pax matches up to the ride request and that they are over 18. Only once has the pax responded incorrectly.

jfinks

Don't you need a Credit card to sign up? Are these available now to minors? I imagine a bank debit card might be available when 16 or so? But I am pretty sure you have to be 18 to have an actual credit card?

Another Uber Driver

Local law allows cab drivers to transport anyone over the age of twelve without an adult nor the driver's being responsible for rendering said child to an adult upon arrival at the destination. While I do understand that such is against Uber policy, I do it out of force of habit on UberX. When it has been minor children, for me, it always has been high school age. There was one exception where a parent did put an obvious twelve year old into the car, but, fortuitously, grandma was waiting at the house when I pulled up to the destination.

The high school students that I get are at the least well-behaved and responsible types. Usually, they are playing with their electronic toys. Some of them are talkative. One in particular that I recall was this junior who was a cheerleader and on her way to cheerleading practice. She wanted to know if she could get me to pick her up all the time, as I was the only Uber driver who was nice to her. She was a very nice young lady and I could not imagine anyone's serving her poorly, but, that is what she told me.

Uber Crack

Author
Local law allows cab drivers to transport anyone over the age of twelve without an adult nor the driver's being responsible for rendering said child to an adult upon arrival at the destination. While I do understand that such is against Uber policy, I do it out of force of habit on UberX. When it has been minor children, for me, it always has been high school age. There was one exception where a parent did put an obvious twelve year old into the car, but, fortuitously, grandma was waiting at the house when I pulled up to the destination.

The high school students that I get are at the least well-behaved and responsible types. Usually, they are playing with their electronic toys. Some of them are talkative. One in particular that I recall was this junior who was a cheerleader and on her way to cheerleading practice. She wanted to know if she could get me to pick her up all the time, as I was the only Uber driver who was nice to her. She was a very nice young lady and I could not imagine anyone's serving her poorly, but, that is what she told me.
Other drivers probably told her sternly that it's against uber policy and that she will not be covered by insurance, and she thought that was them not being nice.

Another Uber Driver

Other drivers probably told her sternly that it's against uber policy and that she will not be covered by insurance, and she thought that was them not being nice.

She did mention that, but she did mention, as well, that most of them would haul her, they just had a nasty attitude, would not pick her up (at a private home) or drop her where she requested. The drop off was usually a door to the school to which it was not hard to drive. She mentioned that some of the cars were dirty and that when she said something about it, they were hostile. She mentioned that others had the radio up too loud and when she asked them to turn down the thing, they became hostile. She was very polite to me. I would pick her up any time, except that I do not usually work in the area where I got her. She did mention that some did try to hit on her and when she spurned them, they became hostile. Yes, she was a pretty young lady, but she is too young for anyone over eighteen. In Virginia, sixteen will get you twenty and more than a little of that twenty is spent having Personal Time with Bubba. That passes over that your job is to drive people, not hit on them. If you want to hit on the ladies, go home, wash and put on the BO stick, put on a shirt and tie and go out to the club. That is why they have clubs.

She is a nice young lady and it made me sad to know that people served her so barbarously.

Uber Crack

Author
I'm usually not confrontational on this app and I always give the benefit of the doubt, always! ... But having dealt with teenagers (I work in a high school) and having declined several of them since it's against the law, I know for a fact that you're a gullible man who was taken in by an attractive teenage drama queen. What a load of bullsh** I just read. Ugh I quite literally can't even! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit... Bull*** from the teen not the App Moderator

Last edited:

jfinks

I'm usually not confrontational on this app and I always give the benefit of the doubt, always! ... But having dealt with teenagers (I work in a high school) and having declined several of them since it's against the law, I know for a fact that you're a gullible man who was taken in by an attractive teenage drama queen. What a load of bullsh** I just read. Ugh I quite literally can't even! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It isn't against the law, uber TOS isn't law.

NHDriver

I have several moms that I drive almost daily to or from work. One of the moms has asked me if I would pick up her daughter after school as she cannot leave work early to get her, She is 16. I do have a dash cam that I use regularly. I have not transported the daughter yet. Should I decline?

Also, I thought Uber was coming out with Uber Teen or something like that.

Another Uber Driver

At whom are these remarks directed?

Johnydoo

I have several moms that I drive almost daily to or from work. One of the moms has asked me if I would pick up her daughter after school as she cannot leave work early to get her, She is 16. I do have a dash cam that I use regularly. I have not transported the daughter yet. Should I decline?

Also, I thought Uber was coming out with Uber Teen or something like that.
Uber teen means chit in courts.
You should do it only if the mom is willing to give it up since you are willing to give up few things. Have them meet you half way.

jfinks

Does the media know drivers will be deactivated for cancelling trips, no matter the reason?
Only if it is excessive. I've only encountered 2-3 questionable age riders that I could have canceled on in over 600 trips. So it is rare.