Do you pick up across the river at night?

Do you pick up across the river at night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freddie Blimeau

I'm guessing you mean the Anacostia. Yes. Considering I drive Uber &Lyft mostly for something to do when I can't think of anything else to do, yeah. Since most of the women who hit on me are coming from there or PG, yeah.

Still, I'm careful. There's an apt. Cpx on Elvans Rd. where there's only one way in and out. There are plenty of questionable looking guys hanging around there day or night. They can come to the street, there. Most of the people who live there or go there actually understand and say to meet them on the street.

DCNewbie17

I'm guessing you mean the Anacostia. Yes. Considering I drive Uber &Lyft mostly for something to do when I can't think of anything else to do, yeah. Since most of the women who hit on me are coming from there or PG, yeah.

Still, I'm careful. There's an apt. Cpx on Elvans Rd. where there's only one way in and out. There are plenty of questionable looking guys hanging around there day or night. They can come to the street, there. Most of the people who live there or go there actually understand and say to meet them on the street.

I think I know where you're talking about. Know someone who used to live on Elvans. Smart move.

Tars Tarkas

I regularly pick up trash around here. I've never met anyone from the area who doesn't know the neighborhood by name and doesn't consider it a "high-crime" neighborhood and who doesn't wince when I say I'll pick up there.

It's just never been a problem, and I've never felt threathened. Obviously, there is danger there, but I don't think it's interested in the occasional Uber driver with business there. I find that these people usually call me "Richard" if anything.

Oddly, there are parts of the town where I think more crimes are committed, but the one near me where I pick up is simply known as the worse.

It's just another pick up for me.

Nats121

I've got a dumb question. If the pax who live there are willing to travel in and out of the complex on foot, with the questionable looking men hanging around, why is it too dangerous for you to drive into the complex?

Uberfunitis

I've got a dumb question. If the pax who live there are willing to travel in and out of the complex on foot, with the questionable looking men hanging around, why is it too dangerous for you to drive into the complex?
Perhaps that passenger knows those questionable looking men hanging around and knows that he or she will not get messed with but some unknown person coming may not have that same relationship going.

PDT

One of my worst rides ever ended in this area.

warrior lady

There are some 7-11 and gas stations I will not venture into in NE after dark and most in SE. Unless there is a cop in the parking lot... then I'm safer.

Johnny cash

Are the morning surges in SE real? If so I'm gonna start sleeping in the nearby parking lot and turn my app on when I wake up

DCNewbie17

I live in Anacostia, but in general, I don't care for pickups anywhere with one way in and out. Gated communities tend to annoy me for this reason. I had a pickup in one in Mclean where the pax was nowhere to be found initially. If it had been nighttime, I'd have cancelled. Too damn quiet, nobody around, and I couldn't leave immediately in an emergency due to gate access. A set up can happen anywhere, so I can understand why a driver would prefer to not sit idle in a complex like that. That said, I do agree that a random Uber driver is not likely a target. For the most part, crime in my section of town involves people in that lifestyle. Also, most people understand how Uber works and that transactions are cashless.

Are the morning surges in SE real? If so I'm gonna start sleeping in the nearby parking lot and turn my app on when I wake up

I don't know if they are or not now, but I believe they certainly used to be. Something I've noticed, however, is that its typically easier to get a Lyft than an Uber in my section. When I look at the rider apps from home, the closest Uber driver is more likely to be in Navy Yard which might contribute to the surge. There's usually a Lyft driver nearby. One Sunday morning, I felt like I might have been the only Uber driver working at all. I figured I'd go online and then chill in the house until I got a hit. Well, I got one immediately and had back to back trips in the area until about the 4th rider took me uptown. I can't speak for weekday mornings since I only drive on weekends.

Fast Times @ UBER

IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
Absolutely completely racist comment.
This isn't racist....this is funny. Not too many on here will get the joke.