Do you like long rides out of town?

maximizer

For example, would you take someone to Killeen/Fort Hood airport? That's 60-80 miles depending where in Austin you start from. Probably high chance of going back empty, right? Worth it?

RickkyBobby

I hate long rides like that. I did a ride to San Marcos and I thought it was way to long. Plus the pax asked to stop at Sonic and I honestly waited for 20mins or more for the damn order. I thought the pax would give me a tip she just got out of my car without even a thank you. and yes came back empty. I prefer giving drives all around Austin and not necessary to the airport either.

Tex Tile

For example, would you take someone to Killeen/Fort Hood airport? That's 60-80 miles depending where in Austin you start from. Probably high chance of going back empty, right? Worth it?
If they can be avoided then you avoid them. But how to do you avoid them? Tell someone to get out of your car once they are already in it? That has it's own problems. I've been to Fredericksburg and San Marcos. Not the end of the world.

corniilius

Long as they don't interfere with other things going on in my life. Didn't get to oceanside until 10pm because I took a group of people from South Coast Plaza to North Hollywood. It was a good fare though, just can't accept them when I have other things pending and my daughter is waiting for me.

TNCMinWage

If you think you'll be dead heading it back I would say decline the ride kindly. Otherwise it's not profitable for the most part. If desperate for cash, then do it. But I would try and negotiate a return fee with the pax by kindly explaining your operating costs and that you'll be driving back empty handed. I would attempt for double the estimated fare.

Last edited:

Tex Tile

Austin to San Marcos is not a "long ride". You must be new to Texas AND Uber/Lyft.
Austin to San Marcos is very definitely a long ride. The same way a ride around the block is a short ride. It's pretty straight forward and empirical and I don't see the need to question someone's knowledge or seniority over it.

MHR

Anything where the majority of the route is I-35 should be considered a long ride, at least on the stretch between Austin and San Antonio.

Last edited:

tcc83

Yeah, thats def a long ride. I haven't had anything longer than COTA in about 1500 trips. I'm in the middle on what I prefer. I would rather do a long ride like that than $3.20 rides around dt all night. The best is when you can go from north austin to south austin with long rides that still put you in place for the next one.

TNCTopher

Uber now has long ride notification. If the ride is greater than 45 minutes than you will know when the request comes in.

MHR

Well haven't gotten that notice yet but thankfully the season of tourists is just about over and most my local pax will stay put in town.

I'm north of San Antonio and weary of the SeaWorld and Fiesta Texas day trippers.