Do you hide your Uber/Lyft driver occupation?

Who do you reveal your driver occupation to?

• Family only

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Family and friends

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Family, friends, coworkers ( 2nd job)

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Everyone! I'm an open book.

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I live in Seattle Washington. This is a very high tech city. We have the HQ's of Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, T-Mobile, Expedia, Zulily, Costco and Starbucks. We have many HQ2's of Google, Facebook, and Uber as well.

Due to this tech explosion, many of my local single posters on the Seattle board say they have a hard time finding a companion in the relationship department. Some have told me their first date usually ends when the question is asked, "So what do you do for a living?"

Outside of family and friends, do you all hide your "Inner Ant" status from others?

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Family and friends, potential suitors for me. I have a day job now but as far as my personal life, even before I got my day job I told any potential suitors my driver status. I'm a very IDGAShit-Take-me-or-leave-me type of woman.

Italians....:rolleyes:

BigRedDriver

Pretty much everyone. Even my new boss. I didn’t have an interview for the job as they reached out to me with an offer (knew a lot of people in the company from a past position). But yeah, I would have mentioned it. I would have said if asked what I had been doing.

“Doing what ever it took to take care of my family, started a consulting business, even drove Uber”

Everyone knows in the office now. Have had some really fun conversations about it. In fact, met with the Real Estate executive for a major retailer a few weeks ago for lunch, and he told me that, in past years, had he needed a job to get by, he’d much rather have ubered than taken unemployment.

You have to understand something about me though. When it comes to me caring what others think? I simply do not care. If I can’t be me, then you are simply not worth my time.

rkozy

No, i am up front about it. I think it's honest work.
There's no shame in doing a job that contributes to society. Whether you're sweeping floors or rescuing kids from a burning school, you are providing a function that society has requested.

People can make all the judgments they want about those who drive around other people. I enjoy the work, much more than I would enjoy being a lawyer or pro football player.

M62

Family and friends, potential suitors for me. I have a day job now but as far as my personal life, even before I got my day job I told any potential suitors my driver status. I'm a very IDGAShit-Take-me-or-leave-me type of woman.

Italians....:rolleyes:
I tend to agree with your attitude. I'd rather people know who and what I am. If they like me fine, if not that's also fine. But I'm not really interested in them liking me for being I'm something I'm not.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fantastico...Tutto bene!
Ciao, come stai ?

However I don't tell my coworkers at my day job that I "Ant", even though it would be understood since as an intern, I'm not making the 6 figure salaries many of them make. The reason I don't tell them is because I've seen them ask another coworker of mine who drives for a regular set up to take them home or to run errands.

I don't know how this works out for my driver coworker but it will not work for me, since many of them live only a few miles from the job or the complete opposite direction of my home where I would have to double back in rush hour traffic. Plus I'm sure they would want some kind of freebie or discount such is the way of many local Brogrammers.

Right after work on days I drive, I head straight for the Microsoft HQ campus and pick up airport bound pax from the Executive buildings. This is a minimum $45. trip, and I live 3 miles from the airport. I'm getting paid to commute home. :biggrin:

Shyeah Right

As soon as you mention in a Tinder conversation that you're a rideshare driver, the other person immediately loses interest and disappears. I've even had some passengers tell me "I bet you get laid a lot!" I bet you I @@@@ing don't. Glad to be considered sub-human. On the plus side, I get to see people's true colors, especially the so-called "woke" people who treat us like absolute trash.
As for personally, it's like with being proficient in computers, as soon as people know, they'll be asking all sorts of favors. Everybody wants a free ride, since "You'd be doing it anyway." These were the same people that would try to borrow money from me constantly. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of "friends" anymore.

Wolfgang Faust

Ciao, come stai ?

However I don't tell my coworker at my day job that I "Ant", even though it would be understood since as an intern, I'm not making the 6 figure salaries many of them make. The reason I don't tell them is because I've seen them ask another coworker of mine who drives for a regular set up to take them home or to run errands.

I don't know how this works out for my driver coworker but it will not work for me, since many of them live only a few miles from the job or the complete opposite direction of my home where I would have to double back in rush hour traffic. Plus I'm sure they would want some kind of freebie or discount such is the way of many local Brogrammers.

Right after work on days I drive, I head straight for the Microsoft HQ campus and pick up airport bound pax from the Executive Conference building. This is a minimum $45. trip, and I live 3 miles from the airport. I'm getting paid to commute home. :biggrin:
Multo bene...take no prisoners.

I was a millionaire, now a thousandaire. Lost my ass in 2008.
I have made, and lost more money than most will ever see in their lifetime.

That's the downside.

The upside?
I'm happier now, home is paid for.
I'm also an artist & musician, stuff I never had time for in 30 years working.
Now I do.

?

Shyeah Right

Ciao, come stai ?

However I don't tell my coworkers at my day job that I "Ant", even though it would be understood since as an intern, I'm not making the 6 figure salaries many of them make. The reason I don't tell them is because I've seen them ask another coworker of mine who drives for a regular set up to take them home or to run errands.

Right after work on days I drive, I head straight for the Microsoft HQ campus and pick up airport bound pax from the Executive buildings. This is a minimum $45. trip, and I live 3 miles from the airport. I'm getting paid to commute home. :biggrin:
THIS! All of this! People wanting freebies and you losing income because of said "freebie" is why you should NEVER tell coworkers or friends how you're making extra money.

Shyeah Right

I answered honestly, but it was very uncomfortable answering the question "so what are you doing for work now?" when I was visiting in-laws in NY couple weeks ago.
God...yes. I think it would be more acceptable to tell family I masturbate zoo animals for a living. I'm about to just start making shit up to avoid the conversation. It's funny how often people say with a sneer, "Oh, you're an UBER driver." @@@@ you and your judgmental bullshit.