Do you have your radio tuned to a station based on location and time of day?

Young Kim

I thought of this and noticed that I have my radio station set to where I am at (and what time it is) when picking up pax. Whenever I am on the north side of Chicago, the music I tune into is dance music (96.3 in Chicago). On the west and south side of Chicago, it is hip-hop (104.3). On the southwest side, I put on (107.9), Spanish speaking Latino music. In the suburbs, it is easy listening (93.9). Whenever I am continuing on a marathon Uber ant shift into the work times in the morning, it goes onto classical, 98.7. I found that this has become almost a reflexive thing my arm and hand does, almost like using my turn signals. Since I enjoy all types of music, it changes the experience for me in a positive way. I do ask pax if the radio station is OK when they come into my car, and I found that the vast majority of time, they are fine with the music I chose before they entered the car (based on location and time of day).

Young Kim

i play a continuous pandora loop of classic rock and don’t ask the pax if they like it or not

My friend Denver Dick, I suppose that if I am on a road trip, my Spotify would be tuned into "Classic Rock". Rolling Stones, Beatles, ZZ Top, The Police, Van Morrison, Journey, Styx, Rod Steward, Elton John, etc.... I could then drive to the moon and back without boredom.

W00dbutcher

I personally Music profile everyone. Some of the comments are... Cool music, alright nice tunes, awesome song. But what really gets me is when I play R&B/THROWBACK rap and when a AA gets in the car and says...... "what you know about this?" AND it only happens in the AA community. Like cause I'm white I can't listen to certain music? Because I'm not 79 I can't ant enjoy organ music of my grandma/pa?

I get high and listen to classical music. No one rocks like Bach and Chopin.

Music is not racist. People are racist about music. Which usually means they're racist.

Am I racist for profiling people in their music.... No! I'm just trying to provide them a comfortable ride based on experience of what people like.
Post automatically merged:

christmas_2020.jpg

Last edited:

Frontier Guy

My radio is set to either Classic Rewind or 80's on 8, if on the rare occasion I day drive, I'll switch to talk radio at the top of the hour to get traffic reports then back to Classic Rewind. If someone asks me to change, I'll ask them for a channel preference, can't recall the last time someone asked me to change, and I've noticed in the last 4 months, I've gotten a lot of older riders who start laughing as the recall and sing along with the song playing.

Amsoil Uber Connect

Next time try Utopia's Hiroshima off the RA album. ^^^ Sing Ring and the Glass Guitar. J/Kidding of course.
I can't tell you how many thank yous I get for Classic Rock when they are 40+
My friend Denver Dick, I suppose that if I am on a road trip, my Spotify would be tuned into "Classic Rock". Rolling Stones, Beatles, ZZ Top, The Police, Van Morrison, Journey, Styx, Rod Steward, Elton John, etc.... I could then drive to the moon and back without boredom.

Last edited:

ariel5466

When I first started driving I kept it on my default favorite SiriusXM station, Lithium. Then one day, "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails came on, unedited, with a older woman as my pax. Awkward.

Since then I've made a playlist loaded with songs that I love and also appeal to a wide array of people, mostly 90s rock and classic rock. Nothing too hard or explicitly sexual. I get loads of compliments, pax singing along, and lots of "omg, I love this song!" from all demographics.

But if anyone listened between the lines, there's no mistaking the fact that I'm a stoner in my off-time. Lots of Grateful Dead, Phish, Tom Petty, Sublime, and Bob Marley. 😁

Last edited:

Coachman

I keep my radio tuned to the local indie public radio station for classic rock, 1980s, a little country, and special live programming in the evenings. I recently got turned on to another public radio station that plays rockabilly and blues. I'm not as big of a fan but it's a nice change of pace.

One of the best parts of the public stations is no commercials.

UberBeemer

I thought of this and noticed that I have my radio station set to where I am at (and what time it is) when picking up pax. Whenever I am on the north side of Chicago, the music I tune into is dance music (96.3 in Chicago). On the west and south side of Chicago, it is hip-hop (104.3). On the southwest side, I put on (107.9), Spanish speaking Latino music. In the suburbs, it is easy listening (93.9). Whenever I am continuing on a marathon Uber ant shift into the work times in the morning, it goes onto classical, 98.7. I found that this has become almost a reflexive thing my arm and hand does, almost like using my turn signals. Since I enjoy all types of music, it changes the experience for me in a positive way. I do ask pax if the radio station is OK when they come into my car, and I found that the vast majority of time, they are fine with the music I chose before they entered the car (based on location and time of day).
Not location so much, but time of day, yes. News, up until whatever time of day Trump starts talking, then its over to music.

UbaBrah

I pre-select my music and load it on to a USB drive that I take into the car with me before each shift. I like having that control. It's mostly older (and fairly safe) stuff, from the 80's onwards. It's not always suitable for a given demographic, as there might be an occasional f bomb or whatever, but I make sure it's nothing too crazy.

As for the music itself, it's kind of a mish mash of things. Anything from Weezer to The Weeknd. Van Halen to Panic At The Disco. Plus some obscure Euro stuff that if a pax enjoys I'll be like "I knew one day you'd come."

Oscar Levant

Who listens to FM or AM ? For me, it's Sirius XM, satellite follows you across America. For $11 a month , you get several types of music for your preferred type, all the sports channels, comedy channels, talk radio of all sorts, some pop FM stations port to XM, Canadian stations, All the Cable news stations, Pop music of every conceivable variety, Rock of every conceivable variety ( I like the 'cassette era rock station" several types of country, several types of jazz ( new age, smooth jazz, 'real jazz', Big Band, Sinatra, etc ) and several varieties of classical, and the signal is even better ( except under bridges). And, Howard Stern, if you're into that guy.

When I first started driving I kept it on my default favorite SiriusXM station, Lithium. Then one day, "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails came on, unedited, with a older woman as my pax. Awkward.

Since then I've made a playlist loaded with songs that I love and also appeal to a wide array of people, mostly 90s rock and classic rock. Nothing too hard or explicitly sexual. I get loads of compliments, pax singing along, and lots of "omg, I love this song!" from all demographics.

But if anyone listened between the lines, there's no mistaking the fact that I'm a stoner in my off-time. Lots of Grateful Dead, Phish, Tom Petty, Sublime, and Bob Marley. 😁

Nothin' beats XM for those sounds.