• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

"Do you have waze?"

Inshur

Zubera

I hate those questions asked by the pax when they see that I use Google map and then they open that Waze navigation on their phone and giving me turn by turn directions. I want to stfu their phone and kick them out. Lol So annoying. Anyone feels the same?

Mad Max

You just reminded me of a funny ride a while ago

Picked up a really entitled 20-something chick on 2nd Ave and 74st in the city. Destination is 2nd and 30th. Its 1am and there is no traffic whatsoever on 2nd ave. Just go straight and we'll be there in few minutes. However, it wasn't that easy...

The chick was new to the city and really, really stupid. She insisted I turn on Waze. OK, no problem. Until we get to the Ed Koch entrance on 2nd and while we are stopped at the light our location on Waze (as it happens often) jumps to the entrance ramp and now the nav system is guiding me over the bridge and back trough Midtown tunnel. I turn to the girl and say

- Waze is taking us out of the way. Sure you still want me to use it?
- Just follow Waze - she says.

Well, who am I to argue, especially since we are told by Uber to always follow customer preferred route. To Queens we go. Of course she gave 1 star and tried to blame me for the entire ordeal. Uber tried to hit me with the inefficient route, but my dashboard video proved that I simply obliged to passenger's wishes. So, if they want to direct you - put your ego aside and let them. :p

Zubera

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Picked up a really entitled 20-something chick on 2nd Ave and 74st in the city. Destination is 2nd and 30th. Its 1am and there is no traffic whatsoever on 2nd ave. Just go straight and we'll be there in few minutes. However, it wasn't that easy...

The chick was new to the city and really, really stupid. She insisted I turn on Waze. OK, no problem. Until we get to the Ed Koch entrance on 2nd and while we are stopped at the light our location on Waze (as it happens often) jumps to the entrance ramp and now the nav system is guiding me over the bridge and back trough Midtown tunnel. I turn to the girl and say

Well, who am I to argue, especially since we are told by Uber to always follow customer preferred route. To Queens we go. Of course she gave 1 star and tried to blame me for the entire ordeal. Uber tried to hit me with the inefficient route, but my dashboard video proved that I simply obliged to passenger's wishes. So, if they want to direct you - put your ego aside and let them. :p
So you took advantage that she was stupid and made extra money by driving extra? That's not what I'd do. I usually reimburse the riders for extra miles if that was driven by my mistake.

Zubera

Telling the drivers who are professionals, turn by turn directions or how to drive when it's not necessary is rude and shows no respect to them. I keep myself calm but don't enjoy having that kind of passengers in my car.

Perhaps you should read my post again, oh virtuous one.
Did you drive the bridge and took a tunnel then when she told you to follow waze?

Mad Max

Yea okay, he'll reimburse the riders for extra miles. People are just too funny here!
Actually - Yes. If I made a mistake and let's say missed an exit, then I would immediately end the ride and take passengers the rest of the way for free. But why should any of us give them free mileage when they are the ones who demanded we'd follow a ridiculous route?

FuberNYC

Speaking of waze....it's been very unreliable lately, as if google maps wants to ruin it on purpose now that it owns it.
I only use waze to spot speed traps and red light cameras, it feels and looks almost like a video game and I have better games on my phone

Last edited:

Zubera

Yea okay, he'll reimburse the riders for extra miles. People are just too funny here!
Nothing was funny. It's normal that as Mad Max wrote if you miss an exit and drive extra miles you pay for it. If you were on rider's side you wouldn't want to pay extra $$ because your driver missed the exit. I let the riders know about it when it happens and they understand. They sometimes say that it's okey and I don't have to do it. At the end of the trip they say thank you and even tip sometimes.

Mr.NYC

Actually - Yes. If I made a mistake and let's say missed an exit, then I would immediately end the ride and take passengers the rest of the way for free. But why should any of us give them free mileage when they are the ones who demanded we'd follow a ridiculous route?
Never said you can't. I'm not here to make friends though, I'm here to make money.

Zubera

Speaking of waze....it's been very unreliable lately, as if google maps wants to ruin it on purpose now that it owns it.
I only use waze to spot speed traps and red light cameras, it feels and looks almost like a video game and I have better games on my phone
Just don't overspeed and don't run red lights and you should be fine. Also if you pay attention to the sides of the roads you'll spot the cameras as well and soon you'll learn where the cameras are or could be.

samoyan

To tell the truth, I have similar feelings about this stuff (e.g. now Google owns it and ruins it on purpose lol). The first day that I turned on waze and followed it's directions, two paxs got out of my car saying that it would be faster if they walk to their destination. After that, I use only waze to receive notifications about cops and cameras. I think the idea of Waze reading real traffic patterns makes sense when only a few people use it, but what happens when 90% of all drivers are following the fastest route?! It becomes clogged sooner then the app can recalculate the route, but it's too late, since you're stuck in the middle of a street with delivery and garbage trucks blocking the whole block...

ManwBiGcar

same happened to me, took pax in williamsburg going to bay ridge, I usually use google maps and it is enough, but pax had wase on her phone and when i was enetering BQE she yelled at me, where are you going, so I asked where she wanted me to go and started directing me using wase, so wase sent me over manhatan bridge, then fdr, then battery tunnel :biggrin: and it was 6pm and tunnel sucked :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lenny_yellow_cab

Nothing was funny. It's normal that as Mad Max wrote if you miss an exit and drive extra miles you pay for it. If you were on rider's side you wouldn't want to pay extra $$ because your driver missed the exit. I let the riders know about it when it happens and they understand. They sometimes say that it's okey and I don't have to do it. At the end of the trip they say thank you and even tip sometimes.
Now woth UPFRONT PRICING pax pays the same no matter what route u take. Tested it multiple times. So when possible, don't hesitate to take Belt Pkwy to JFK :biggrin::cool:

Zubera

Now woth UPFRONT PRICING pax pays the same no matter what route u take. Tested it multiple times. So when possible, don't hesitate to take Belt Pkwy to JFK :biggrin::cool:
That works only for jfk trips on Uber. Lyft still charges by miles and minutes, right?

Zubera

same happened to me, took pax in williamsburg going to bay ridge, I usually use google maps and it is enough, but pax had wase on her phone and when i was enetering BQE she yelled at me, where are you going, so I asked where she wanted me to go and started directing me using wase, so wase sent me over manhatan bridge, then fdr, then battery tunnel :biggrin: and it was 6pm and tunnel sucked :biggrin: :biggrin:
That pax would swear that waze is the best. Lol

It works on Uber, juno and gett because they charge upfront pricing.

Lyft charges upfront procing to lyftline, im sure regular lyft will soon follow.
Do you ask pax which route to take and if it was a flat price for them?

Lenny_yellow_cab

Its always a flatrate. I don't even ask. They are getting charge the same so they won't care. If they fuss u tell them they are not being charge more.

If u end trip early they still get charged the same. Tried it twice on gett and lyftline (doing the hour guarantee) and i ended trip early and they were still charged the same.

Zubera

Why do Uber, Lyft, Juno, Gett charge flat price for jfk trips? It's interesting to know what's a point for them