Uber Drivers Forum banner

Do you have proper Insurance?

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  tripAces 
#1 ·
#12 ·
I did the same thing with USAA last year when they first started offering rideshare add on. I went from $86 a month with Geico to 213 a month with USAA - same coverages. I just got a letter from Geico the other day and they want me back. Going to git 'er dun on Monday. I like this feeling of freedom I have away from the blood sucking UBER greed monster.

#8 ·
Well when I called my insurance they uped it from what they could see was on the website for tnc but now I wonder if they even have me on the right set up as she seemed clueless and had to look it up on the web site

This is what she emailed me and I signed up for I hope this was right

Email from then.
I ran the quote on increasing your coverage and you would be looking at $153.03 a month. This is just to increase your own personal coverage to $1 Million for liability and $1 Million Uninsured Motorist along with $10,000 medical payments.

#9 ·
My insurance agent tried to get me to up my personal. I told her no need and had to explain what I wanted. She called and found out. Farmer's makes current customers cancel their policy then open a new policy with rideshare policy. She was still confused.

I called the 800 number afterwards and got everything explained to me about it.

#10 ·
I don't see anywhere in the bill where is says we must go out and get our own personal rideshare insurance. Sec. 1954.051. General Insurance requirement says. A transportation network company driver or transportation network company on the drivers behalf shall maintain primary automobile insurance as required by this subchapter. I received a notice on my app last week showing the insurance Uber provides. It seems to cover what the state of Texas requires under the house bill. The bill just seems to make it easier for your own insurance to opt out of paying anything if involved in and accident while working. If you have full coverage insurance on your car, there is a gap where you will only have liability insurance if involved in an accident while online but have no request. So best to stay put until you get a request for a ride.

Attachments

#11 ·
That's correct! I read it when it came out.

But this is the insurance companies. I saw someone say in another thread that State Farm has a clause about using your vehicle for livery part time. That its ok. But people still need to find out if its true.

If people are not clear their insurance company won't drop them for doing Uber then they need to figure it out. All I did is present it as I was thinking of doing Uber and found out what I needed to know.

And yes the only way your insurance will find out is by someone calling them and inquiring. And that could mean cancel.

#14 ·
So I got an reply from Uber to my question, "Are we REQUIRED to have personal Rideshare Insurance?"....

Jan 20, 16:15

Hi XXXX-

Below, you can find an overview of how insurance works for rideshare drivers with Uber. You can always read a more detailed overview here.

From the time you log into the Uber partner app until you accept a trip in Texas we maintain a policy that provides 3rd party liability coverage in the amounts of $50k/$100k/$25k. This policy is contingent to your personal policy, meaning it will apply only if your personal auto insurance does not apply

From the time you accept a trip until its completion and the rider(s) exits the vehicle, in Texas we maintain the following coverage:

• $1M of 3rd party liability;
• $1M of uninsured/underinsured motorist injury; and
• contingent comprehensive and collision insurance - so, if you maintain comprehensive and collision insurance on your own personal policy, our policy will cover physical damage to that vehicle up to the actual cash value of the vehicle, for any reason, with a $1,000 deductible

Note, you are NOT required to purchase rideshare insurance as we will maintain coverage on your behalf that will comply with all state and local laws.

You can find the certificate of insurance we maintain here and you can also find this in the app through the Waybill.

Best,

Gus
help.uber.com
I believe the take away here is that while Uber does NOT require it's driver partners to have Rideshare Insurance, your personal insurance may require it. Basically if you get into an accident while online waiting for a ping, you'd have to notify and get denied by your personal insurance first before James River will consider the case. But once your insurance knows you drive for Uber, you're pretty much dropped (unless you have the Rideshare policy!). Hence personal insurance is the one necessitating a Rideshare policy. Uber needs to close that loophole! But Uber never will because they know your idle online hours are way more than actual active pax time!!!!

#18 ·
It's all correct. I was fuzzy about the wording myself months ago. Then when that new agreement came out from Uber it made perfect sense.

What you say is 100% correct. Farmer's flat out told me I had to have Rideshare Insurance with Uber. And if I didn't get it. Then tried to file a claim and say the other driver told them I was suspected of driving for Uber. They would deny and cancel my policy.

My additional coverage cost me $40 extra a month.

#15 ·
I signed up with Geico to add rideshare to my current full coverage in September. Back then it was an addtl $100. At 2014 and beginning 2015 rates working 25hours/ week I was okay with that. (total insurance was $200.) I had piece of mind that I was covered if anything happened without feeling anxious. the extra $100 was worth it, especially driving at night and when its really crowded with drunk pax. But not anymore.

#23 ·
Did they ask you how many miles of rideshare alone that you are going to do each year?

I believe the higher the miles we expect to drive the more the insurance "rider" will cost right?
Wrong unless its Geico! Farmer's is about 15% more in some states on top of the personal auto insurance. I am at $35 extra a month.
I had to cancel my exisiting insurance. Get a new policy and add rideshare.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wrong unless its Geico! Farmer's is about 15% more in some states on top of the personal auto insurance. I am at $35 extra a month.
I had to cancel my exisiting insurance. Get a new policy and add rideshare.
I understand. The new "hybrid" policy replaces the old "personal" policy.

For your Farmer's rideshare policy, did they specify (or did you tell them) how many miles you expect to drive TNC per week?

That's right - $1200 in RIDESHARE coverage in addition to personal insurance. Based on 2-3 days driving, <20 hrs a week.
Thank you.

Did they specify and/or did you tell them the expected number of miles you will drive for TNC per week? (other than the mentioning of hours and days per week you will drive TNC)

#25 ·
Sorry, but I'm still confused...

Uber's official response is that we do NOT have to add Rideshare coverage and that they will adhere to local and state laws if we're in an accident. Meanwhile, some companies won't cover us for personal insurance if we don't add rideshare, or will just drop us altogether if we drive for Uber at all.

What's the solution? Do we simply NOT tell our private insurers that we drive for Uber and file with Uber if there's an accident?

More importantly, does anyone know which insurance companies in Texas will still cover us and which one is the cheapest? Thanks!

#27 ·
Sorry, but I'm still confused...

Uber's official response is that we do NOT have to add Rideshare coverage and that they will adhere to local and state laws if we're in an accident. Meanwhile, some companies won't cover us for personal insurance if we don't add rideshare, or will just drop us altogether if we drive for Uber at all.

What's the solution? Do we simply NOT tell our private insurers that we drive for Uber and file with Uber if there's an accident?

More importantly, does anyone know which insurance companies in Texas will still cover us and which one is the cheapest? Thanks!
People say you do not have to do physical exercise.

But you probably should.

Uber says you do not have to get that insurance.

But you probably should.

Always protect yourself.

Especially when you have a lot to lose (house, money, education).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.