• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do you guys prefer daytime driving or evening?

Syed80888

I've been driving mostly daytime and I gotta say it's really hot I can feel it inside my car. Tinted my windows thinking that would help but barely does anything besides minimum shade. I also feel my car takes more mechanical toll and wear more during the day . I can go hours non stop at night but I gotta take a break and go offline every 2 rides during day because I personally feel my car is taking too much wear. And I can't drive with the sun blinding my eyes ( front windshield window is not tinted)

I only drive at night. I hated sitting in traffic twice a day when I had a good job, I'm not gonna be in it all day for this crappy one. Plus you meet more interesting people at night. The much maligned bar crowd are mostly happy partying drunks looking for a safe ride home, however the obnoxious ones will test your patience and damage your rating. Plastic bags are a necessity and in over two years of late night driving, I've only had two vomit incidents that required detailing.

darkshy77

Daytime with the right strategies longer trips nighttime drunks throwing up in your car lower ratings try picking up on Main Street at night!!! But hey that two am surge for proximately 30 minutes is great.

Fuzzyelvis

Are you saying pax rate passengers higher at night?I think you may be right. My hypothesis is since the heat and the sun and the fact that they can see you more clearly in daytime can impact a pax decision in rating a driver. But at night pax are laid back no sun after work and they might be more nicer . And not that I encourage this but I can get away with smoking a cigerate inside car at night before picking up pax and still get away with 5 stars. Daytime it's the complete opposite. I had 2 complaints that said " car reaked of cigerates suffocating me worst lyft experience ever" never got any complaints at night. Oh yes and in daytime I feel I'm constantly getting watched by cameras my every move (only if they are quiet and sit in middle) while I drive and it's so hard to look in the rear view mirror without making eye contact with them. Call me weak but I don't even look at the rear view mirror if it's a quiet pax and if he she is sitting directly in the middle or close. I rather get into an accident verses getting a complaint from a female pax that I was watching her in mirror . For this reason I'm thinking switching to night since I don't have to look at the quiet female pax

Knock on wood I haven't been in accident in my 4 years uber lyft drive
Are you worried about your rating because you're worried about deactivation? Because if not who GAF?

Smoking in the car is a really stupid idea if you want to keep your rating up anyway. I'm an asthmatic and I would one star you in a heartbeat.

Syed80888

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes I do care about ratings. But I tested it out . Tried smoking and then not smoking for 1 week each. And my ratings were pretty much the same. Smoking rating was 4.56 . Without smoking 4.6 but right this minute my rating is exactly 4.5. I got 3 blondes all last 3 rides in a row didn't smoke. Just made some small talk. Hope I got a 5. Really nervous. Will wait until tomorow to find out. One problem I'm really having is if I should initiate conversation or not. I think too consciously and I begin automatically talking but sometimes I remain totally silent but it feels so akward for me totally silent for a 30 minute ride.

Sometimes ill put christian gospel songs if it's a totally silent ride

itsablackmarket

Are you saying pax rate passengers higher at night?I think you may be right. My hypothesis is since the heat and the sun and the fact that they can see you more clearly in daytime can impact a pax decision in rating a driver. But at night pax are laid back no sun after work and they might be more nicer . And not that I encourage this but I can get away with smoking a cigerate inside car at night before picking up pax and still get away with 5 stars. Daytime it's the complete opposite. I had 2 complaints that said " car reaked of cigerates suffocating me worst lyft experience ever" never got any complaints at night. Oh yes and in daytime I feel I'm constantly getting watched by cameras my every move (only if they are quiet and sit in middle) while I drive and it's so hard to look in the rear view mirror without making eye contact with them. Call me weak but I don't even look at the rear view mirror if it's a quiet pax and if he she is sitting directly in the middle or close. I rather get into an accident verses getting a complaint from a female pax that I was watching her in mirror . For this reason I'm thinking switching to night since I don't have to look at the quiet female pax

Knock on wood I haven't been in accident in my 4 years uber lyft drive
lmaooooooooooooooo

Yes I do care about ratings. But I tested it out . Tried smoking and then not smoking for 1 week each. And my ratings were pretty much the same. Smoking rating was 4.56 . Without smoking 4.6 but right this minute my rating is exactly 4.5. I got 3 blondes all last 3 rides in a row didn't smoke. Just made some small talk. Hope I got a 5. Really nervous. Will wait until tomorow to find out. One problem I'm really having is if I should initiate conversation or not. I think too consciously and I begin automatically talking but sometimes I remain totally silent but it feels so akward for me totally silent for a 30 minute ride.

I think your rating is low enough now that you can begin asking passengers why they think you're getting low ratings. It's a conversation starter.

Syed80888

In my hypothesis I sincerely think my ratings were low because of the following 3 reasons. 1. the ac level was on level 1 on most of my rides 2. Smoking smell in car and 3. My rear shock absorbers are worn. Gets pretty bumpy on potholes broken roads. That s pretty much I can think of at the moment.
One more thing that comes to my mind is that during daytimes you might get an airport ride. I'm all up for long trips but when it comes to bush airport and when you don't have ez tag it's really a pain to go to bush during daytime.

itsablackmarket

In my hypothesis I sincerely think my ratings were low because of the following 3 reasons. 1. the ac level was on level 1 on most of my rides 2. Smoking smell in car and 3. My rear shock absorbers are worn. Gets pretty bumpy on potholes broken roads. That s pretty much I can think of at the moment.
One more thing that comes to my mind is that during daytimes you might get an airport ride. I'm all up for long trips but when it comes to bush airport and when you don't have ez tag it's really a pain to go to bush during daytime.
Get a TxTag

UberCadi

You THINK that's why your ratings are low? Lol. Also, just because you stopped smoking in the car for a week did nothing. Once you've smoked in a car as much as I suspect you have, is like trying to remove the crap smell from your inner bowels by not eating for a week. The smoke sticks to you - just like your ignorance on what could be causing your low rating. Night or day, you can't hide stink and a crappy rising car.

Lelekm

I personally prefer morning, starting in the early mornings for airport rides. I can tolerate morning rush hour but not afternoon/evening. In the early morning, I get pings from home to take someone to the airport. After that, if I don't decide to wrap it up by 7:00/7:30, I know that any rides I drive through the morning rush hour will inevitably lead me back in town close to home. Meaning, if I get rides out to Katy or to industrial east Houston, someone is always coming back in. The opposite is true in the evening, so I don't drive those hours. I'll occasionally drive Fri/Sat evenings as people head out to restaurants and bars, but I'd never drive late night for my own personal safety, if nothing else. And, you know, I can't have people smelling like smoke or puking in the mommy van.

tohunt4me

I've been driving mostly daytime and I gotta say it's really hot I can feel it inside my car. Tinted my windows thinking that would help but barely does anything besides minimum shade. I also feel my car takes more mechanical toll and wear more during the day . I can go hours non stop at night but I gotta take a break and go offline every 2 rides during day because I personally feel my car is taking too much wear. And I can't drive with the sun blinding my eyes ( front windshield window is not tinted)
Night time is less stressful to me.
I hate traffic. I hate passengers late for work.

mobs

Very early in the morning: 4am - 6am and later in the evening: 7-10pm.

It's not the best time: I don't make much.

At the very most I'll get 5 $4 trips to or from the Med Center during each block*. Very few tips, although I've never gotten less than a 5 stars (car's washed every day and has never been smoked/eaten in), leather seats and the air is on.

I'm just trying to avoid traffic and drunks. But, I do get a lot of runny nosed kids going to the ER and distraught parents coming out of MD Anderson.

*Yesterday morning, though, I got a request that was 14 minutes away (I was in West U and it looked like they were trying to send me to the top of the Heights) for an Eats delivery. Since my Eats deliveries never tip, I passed on it and went offline. I keep forgetting to turn Deliveries off when I go online.

I have tried driving from 9am-noon but the requests are spotty and I usually wind up either getting stuck downtown taking lawyers to work or getting stuck on 59 taking kids to UH. Last trip to UH turned into a 40 minute ride for less than $8. Had a return trip out of there, but that one took me out 10 past 8 for $11. Fortunately, she tipped.

It's getting to the point where I don't feel like bothering most days. It's just not worth the wear and tear on my vehicle.

My husband, otoh, drives a 3rd row vehicle, so he'll turn his XL on and take fares between his business meetings throughout the day. It's not uncommon for him to get 3 or 4 $40+ rides to IAH each day. About 50% of his rides tip him $5 or more. He can easily make more than 3x what I do on my best day.

It's discouraging.

Syed80888

Very early in the morning: 4am - 6am and later in the evening: 7-10pm.

It's not the best time: I don't make much.

At the very most I'll get 5 $4 trips to or from the Med Center during each block*. Very few tips, although I've never gotten less than a 5 stars (car's washed every day and has never been smoked/eaten in), leather seats and the air is on.

I'm just trying to avoid traffic and drunks. But, I do get a lot of runny nosed kids going to the ER and distraught parents coming out of MD Anderson.

*Yesterday morning, though, I got a request that was 14 minutes away (I was in West U and it looked like they were trying to send me to the top of the Heights) for an Eats delivery. Since my Eats deliveries never tip, I passed on it and went offline. I keep forgetting to turn Deliveries off when I go online.

I have tried driving from 9am-noon but the requests are spotty and I usually wind up either getting stuck downtown taking lawyers to work or getting stuck on 59 taking kids to UH. Last trip to UH turned into a 40 minute ride for less than $8. Had a return trip out of there, but that one took me out 10 past 8 for $11. Fortunately, she tipped.

It's getting to the point where I don't feel like bothering most days. It's just not worth the wear and tear on my vehicle.

My husband, otoh, drives a 3rd row vehicle, so he'll turn his XL on and take fares between his business meetings throughout the day. It's not uncommon for him to get 3 or 4 $40+ rides to IAH each day. About 50% of his rides tip him $5 or more. He can easily make more than 3x what I do on my best day.

It's discouraging.
You just read my mind. Although I feel it's a great gig on side. I'm very thankful to work in this kind of gig. It's better than working at customer service standing job for 8 hours. But it can only be side money. If you depend on this for main it will wear tear car. But as side it's pretty good for supplemental income. Although this IS the only income I have right now until I cure my legal issues and get job at hospital.
I agree with u on traffic. I hate getting stuck in traffic. I will never drive 3 pm to 630 pm. Thats the worst. The worst feeling is when I'm driving in sugarland at 430 pm when suddenly I get a ping , passenger sits in car and I slide the button to see the destination and it says" bush airport estimated time 1 hour 25 min " this is when I lose all hope. Really despise airport rides. Try to avoid them as much as possible

I highly advise anybody who has high mileage in there personal car to get a cheap obd scanner from Amazon. I got one for 6$ and even though I don't know much about cars , it can shoot problems your having with your car and that way you don't have to spend alot on diagnosis when going to mechanic.

tootsie

I would rather sit in silence not because I am atheist but depending on the type of Christian music I don't want to fall in a coma. Are we talking kumbyya my lord or Kirk Franklin here? Silence is golden but I can tell you Pax enjoy good music. Why not play a today's hits channel? Do you not like that station?

Robnhud

Silence is golden but I can tell you Pax enjoy good music. Why not play a today's hits channel? Do you not like that station?
I only drive the F/S bar crowds so I put my XM on The Spa channel. Non descript background music for those late night drunk crowds, two minutes after hearing some Enya and they are knocked the hell out. A hard tap on the brakes when I arrive at their destination wakes them up and they file out without incident.

Navin R. Johnson

I say hello to all riders and ask how they are, then it's up to them if they want to talk or not. If they want to talk they will talk. My rating stays around 4.7 - 4.8. Silence is golden sometimes.

SkidRow

I would rather sit in silence not because I am atheist but depending on the type of Christian music I don't want to fall in a coma.
I have to admit a fondness for the REZ Band (70's style Jesus freaks who are still kicking).