• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do you back your vehicle in?

Jay Dean

It seems simple, but actually makes me feel good to start driving the next day and do the work of backing in at the end of the driving, and sort of feels like that feeling you get when you have a full tank of gas when you start a new day (in which I feel like a millionaire with a full tank of gas) start off without the slight hassle lol

Anyways, just curious if anyone feels better doing this for the next day rather than backing out to start your day

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces

Merc7186

I do not back into my own driveway.

I don't pull into anyone's driveway when I'm out anting...I drive at nights, it's hard to tell whose house is correct and sometimes it snows hard enough here where it is impossible to tell where a driveway ends and a drainage ditch starts.

Jay Dean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not back into my own driveway.

I don't pull into anyone's driveway when I'm out anting...I drive at nights, it's hard to tell whose house is correct and sometimes it snows hard enough here where it is impossible to tell where a driveway ends and a drainage ditch starts.
Yeah when I drive at 4am I always stay on street I never pull into driveways, period. Unless they ask and usually it is for good reason. When I started this 4 years ago, Uber or lyft sent me to wrong address and i pulled in, the homeowner you could tell was ready to do something, rightly so!. I only stay on street unless asked different.

Gtown Driver

I used to work a car lot for 3 or 4 years so I usually auto pilot back into spots when I can. Especially at my house. The dealer I was at YOU HAD to back park cars into anything that is a white lined parking space. If you don't the manager will come and yell at you or someone who has direct ties to manager will come and yell at you.

Jay Dean

I used to work a car lot for 3 or 4 years so I usually auto pilot back into spots when I can. Especially at my house. The dealer I was at YOU HAD to back park cars into anything that is a white lined parking space. If you don't the manager will come and yell at you or someone who has direct ties to manager will come and yell at you.
I just visualized that manger yelling lol

Does it feel better starting off next day driving with a clear picture instead of backing out as a pain or am I nuts in that?

Now granted I live in an apartment complex if I owned a home I probably wouldn’t notice a difference tbh

Gtown Driver

Yup. All red in the face unless it was like the warranty guy who was really nice and would just tell you you need to move it before someone that's gonna yell at you see it.

If you didn't know how to back park, you learned like 2 weeks after you started working there. Worst case scenario have to pay a deductible for something you hit. Dual rear trucks were usually the main thing that got people in trouble. Those extra back tires are basically like driving a short bus.

Jay Dean

Yup. All red in the face unless it was like the warranty guy who was really nice and would just tell you you need to move it before someone that's gonna yell at you see it.

If you didn't know how to back park, you learned like 2 weeks after you started working there. Worst case scenario have to pay a deductible for something you hit. Dual E trucks were usually the main thing that got people in trouble. Those extra back tires are basically like driving a short bus.
Love it the OCD back parking manager guy, perfect character.

TomTheAnt

My wife keeps hers backed in and I keep mine the other way around.

Pitch black streets/yards/house combined with inaccurate U/L navigation and pax instructions are an interesting challenge at nights... Wouldn't even think about pulling into anybody's driveway unless I was about 100+% sure I got the right one. Probably not even then...

Last edited:

Gtown Driver

Yeah he had the glasses and sweater vest too. The whole look for that character in a movie or something.

I like back parking just because it's less thought when you get started in the morning. It's way easier when you need to get out after a snow also. You need more coordination than usual to navigate the rest of the snow after you clear your car and it's easier if you are back parked and facing the road. Having to reverse coordinate out of snow is really annoying.

We're supposed to be getting our second snow of the year this weekend so this thread is a reminder to back park for sure.

dryverjohn

I always make sure that I back into pax driveways or turn around on their street ready for the 5 minute bee line out of the neighborhood. Not much feels better than grabbing that Lyft $5 cancel fee for someone that made you wait too long.

Christinebitg

I don't understand.
It's because of how the driveway is configured.

We live in the second house in a row of five towhlnhouses. The garages are at the backs of the houses. The driveway enters the property from the side street.

To get into our garage, you drive straight ahead into the driveway. Just before you get to our garage, you turn the wheel sharply to the right. Then you squeeze into half of the garage, which is barely big enough for two cars.

I honestly would not want to attempt to make that turn into our garage while driving backward. It's difficult enough as it is to get into the garage when you're driving in a forward direction.

Christine

nutzareus

Prior military service and training to drive in combat zones, I always back in so I can make quick getaway if necessary.