Do y'all get tipped regularly?

OLDSCHOOLPARAD

I guess we’re basically all in agreement that Indians do not tip.

Man, I remember delivering to this one Indian girl. There was an apt complex and a hotel next to each other and I could not for the life of me find the numbers on them. So, I had to call. She sounded like an old lady with her heavy accent.
But when I saw her, she was the most beautiful Indian chick I’ve ever seen.

Back to tipping, I did get a $4 tip from a young college age Indian guy once. I guess he was probably more Americanized. Delivered his food close to midnight. He was very grateful.

muzikguy

Some nights I'll do 12 trips and get 8 or 9 tips. Some nights I'll do the same number of trips and only get 2 tips. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

The app defaults to a 15% tip in the middle of the order process. A person has to manually delete the tip if they don’t want to tip. They also have the option to change the tip up to an hour after delivery. I always find it strange when someone says they aren’t getting tips on at least 75% of their orders. Maybe the app is different in different cities? I receive tips (Dallas area) on 95% of orders. The few I haven’t received a tip on are the very small orders where the delivery fee and service fee make the total order too high to leave a tip as well (Someone orders just an apple pie and after the delivery fee and minimum order fee it’s too expensive - no idea why people order these small of orders but to each their own I guess).

NYUber123

7/9 tips tonight. One non tipper was an Indian female, but had her name listed as Becky in the app. That's the only reason that I picked up her order. The other non tipper was an African guy, that proudly proclaimed that he was going to tip me in the app. I'm still holding my breath on that one... 🙄

Alltel77

7/9 tips tonight. One non tipper was an Indian female, but had her name listed as Becky in the app. That's the only reason that I picked up her order. The other non tipper was an African guy, that proudly proclaimed that he was going to tip me in the app. I'm still holding my breath on that one... 🙄
I had a large order from a nice Indian restaurant going to a hotel tonight , looked up customer name meaning on Google , cancelled and moved along.

GearHead600

I *always* get tips, there's not a day that I've worked that I haven't received tips... (Chicago market)

EATS - I've only done ONE Eats delivery ['cuz the app decided to turn itself on after I had it {deliveries} turned off!] - and they DID tip (pretty well)
UberX/POOL - I'd say I tend to do around 20-30 trips a day and usually about 1/4-1/3 of them tip! Sometimes more, sometimes less. But I don't think I've ever had a day where at least ONE person didn't tip! (Pretty sure on my 'worst' days, at least ONE person tipped, even if it was ONLY that one!)
Post automatically merged:

I still think my absolute coolest (and highest individual) tip was a guy who wanted to make like 3 stops before heading to actual destination. So after we stopped at a bank, liquor store, and a pizza joint - he asks me to step on it (in 'burbs headed to city), says if I get him there by XYZ time there's a $10 cash tip in it for me. So I do my best without compromising safety or a severe ticket, and we make it in time! It's kinda dark and he's getting all his stuff out and passes me a bill through the passenger door. I notice in the dim lighting (mainly from my phone light) it's not a $10, it's a $20. But wait a minute, he said there'd be a $10 tip in it for me. So I yell "HEY" before he gets the door closed - I don't know his situation and IDK if he can actually afford the extra $10! He goes "ya, what", I said "sir, this is a $20 not a $10". He goes "you passed the test", tossed ANOTHER $20 bill on my passenger seat, then swiftly closed the door, and left! So, because I was HONEST with him, he wound up giving me a $40 tip! It was a test to see if I would be honest! Had I not been honest (had I not 'passed his test'), I would have only wound up with the first $20! But because I was honest, I ended up with a $40 tip! :biggrin:

HONESTY DOES PAY! {and if it doesn't you have to consider that the person really couldn't afford it, how would you feel if you knew/found out you took someone's baby formula or diaper money!?}

Last edited:

local215

Well being an Ubereats driver and customer who orders also Uber has a lil scam going on with tips. Let me explain. So Uber will pick a tip percentage for you before you place your order. You can go higher or lower based on percentage. When the order is delivered you still have a chance to not tip BUT it’s hidden in a strange way. See on the top left corner it says SKIP so customer assume you are skipping the tip. Uber then charges whatever the tip was that was chosen in the beginning. You have to manually click the tip and change it to $0.00 literally you can’t just put 0 it doesn’t allow and that also confusing customers. I was always get scammed into this everytime I ordered until I finally figure it out. So your not really getting tipped it’s just people don’t understand how to 0 it out. Usually the poor urban customer will jump through hoops and figure it ( because they don’t tip) or the young tech savvy kids also figure it also. It’s misleading but customers should tip especially if you go to the door 🚪 or have special instructions.

GearHead600

Food delivery to me IS front door service (which is why I've always left it turned off until now). I always UberX/POOL so I don't have to get out. I figured if I ever get tired of sitting too much from that, then I'd turn X/POOL off and do delivery.

Do ("you") "kids" now-a-days really think FOOD DELIVERY doesn't entail TO THE DOOR SERVICE? Yikes, I hope not! FOOD DELIVERY always has been, is, and always will be (and mean) TO THE DOOR SERVICE!!!

The other reason I've kept "eats" off - I remember my first pizza delivery job, I REALLY hated doing apartments and other huge multi-occupancy structures! Although it was cool when/if you got many orders all in ONE building :biggrin:

NYUber123

A day later, Uber alerted me about a tip. It was $7 from the African guy. I wonder why it showed up the next day.
I take back all of the curse words that I used behind his back as he walked back to his door.

ColonyMark

I’m starting to keep a list of people that don’t tip. That way I can cancel if I ever get them in the future. Or take a really long time to make the delivery.
A guy Pissed me off last night. He was in a very confusing complex and didn’t leave any directions. I could not see any building numbers. I tried texting, but got a message from doordash saying this customer does not accept text messages. So then I called him but got voicemail. A few minutes later he called back to say he would meet me outside but he was on the opposite side of complex. And the F er didn’t leave a tip!

Last edited:

Tampa Bay Hauler

I’m starting to keep a list of people that don’t tip. That way I can cancel if I ever get them in the future. Or take a really long time to make the delivery.
A guy Pissed me off last night. He was in a very confusing complex and didn’t leave any directions. I could not see any building numbers. I tried texting, but got a message from doordash saying this customer does not accept text messages. So then I called him but got voicemail. A few minutes later he called back to say he would meet me outside but he was on the opposite side of complex. And the F er didn’t leave a tip!
I used to have serious problems when I delivered pizza. The way they number some apartments is proof of alien visitation. They had to be from outer space. I would need building 8 and I would count down when entering the complex. 12,11,10,9,7, where the f is 8? Completely on the other side without a matching number near it. SMH. Stuck in between 23 and 24.

There is an app called “beans” that is designed for delivery drivers specifically with apartment layouts so you can find the actual building/apartment. If they don’t have an apartment complex you can actually stop in and take a picture of the complex map and they send you $5 and it’s mapped from that point forward. Not sure if it’s in all markets but seems to have a lot of coverage today.

goobered

There's one apartment complex with long buildings that go all the way down each street, but the numbers don't run consecutively down the length of each building. It goes sort of like building A, 123, 135, 147...building B 124, 136, 148...building C, 125, 137, 149.

Tampa Bay Hauler

There is an app called “beans” that is designed for delivery drivers specifically with apartment layouts so you can find the actual building/apartment. If they don’t have an apartment complex you can actually stop in and take a picture of the complex map and they send you $5 and it’s mapped from that point forward. Not sure if it’s in all markets but seems to have a lot of coverage today.
You can also go to the office of most places and get an 8 1/2 by 11” map.

Alltel77

Just a conspiracy theory but sometimes I think the system throttles earnings. I believe most people pre tip in the app. Everytime I get like two big tips in a row within an hour $10 + the next 2-3 deliveries I get no tip. So it makes me wonder sometimes if the customer pretips the orders are assigned differently based on earnings so far for that day.

goobered

Just a conspiracy theory but sometimes I think the system throttles earnings. I believe most people pre tip in the app. Everytime I get like two big tips in a row within an hour $10 + the next 2-3 deliveries I get no tip. So it makes me wonder sometimes if the customer pretips the orders are assigned differently based on earnings so far for that day.
That would not surprise me at all. I notice too many patterns to think it is random.

I had no idea customers could pre-tip on Uber Eats until one day someone told me they had already tipped in the app. I figured they got prompted to tip sometime after delivery, because I would see a wave of tips suddenly come in hours later, often with the same dollar amounts. Other days I'd get no tips at all and think Uber must not be reminding them to tip today. Lol.

sellkatsell44

Pretty much.

I always tip in the app while checking out.

it’s easier that way because afterwards I won’t remember.

ColonyMark

I used to have serious problems when I delivered pizza. The way they number some apartments is proof of alien visitation. They had to be from outer space. I would need building 8 and I would count down when entering the complex. 12,11,10,9,7, where the f is 8? Completely on the other side without a matching number near it. SMH. Stuck in between 23 and 24.
I know! Why the hell wouldn’t 8 be next to 7? I hate the places the apartment numbers don’t correspond to building numbers. I was in a complex the other day where apartment 3501 was in building 7! WTF? At least that customer was smart enough to leave directions