Uber Drivers Forum banner

Do you support banning NYTLC drivers from Newark Airport and/or all of New Jersey?

• Yes

• No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Something About NYTLC Drivers in New Jersey

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Ride-Share-Risk-Manager 
#1 ·
I sent the following letter to my elected representatives here in the NJ 40th legislative district. You can find your representative at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp. There is no doubt the FLOOD of NYTLC drivers in New Jersey - especially North Jersey and Newark Airport is costing us all money. I have a NYTLC license, but am a NJ resident and would rather driver here, so I don't use it and don't drive a NYTLC car. When I was driving, LaGuardia was one of my favorite places to go. LaGuardia would surge almost every night, sometimes as much as 2.5x. On top of that, you could go in the rideshare lot and be 100+ down in the queue and still make it out of there in 20 minutes. Meanwhile Newark handles 5 MILLION more passengers per year and you can wait 2 hours to move 30 spots in the queue. It shouldn't be hard to figure out the fact 90% of the cars in the lot are from New York has something to do with this. Go anywhere in North Jersey - Jersey City, Hoboken, Newark - and the NYTLC cars are everywhere.

As I say in my message to the legislators, what makes this especially galling is the fact while they're over here stealing out business, we can't even bring return fares back from New York. I also don't get how if the airports are all bistate agencies, i.e. the Port Authority of New York and NEW JERSEY the TLC even has jurisdiction there. The problem is, until rideshare came along nobody fought their jurisdiction. Uber couldn't care less, they get paid no matter who takes the ride, we just need somebody to take up the banner and fight that claim of jurisdiction.

A best case scenario would be a retaliatory banning of NYTLC drivers from New Jersey (can you imagine the surges at Newark Airport, or in Hoboken on a Friday night without NYTLC drivers?!?) but I'd settle just to get those return rides from the NYC airports. This I can say; nothing is going to change if we do nothing. It will take only a couple of minutes to hit the link, find your legislator, click the "contact" button and send the message. You can copy and paste mine if you want. One email from me makes me a kook, but if legislators all over the state start getting these emails it might just wake somebody up.

Here is the message:

I am a part-time Uber driver here in New Jersey, along with being a volunteer firefighter in Little Falls. I know of at least 3 other members of the Little Falls Fire Department who drive for Uber or Lyft (known in the industry as "rideshare").

I'm writing because rideshare drivers in New Jersey are in desperate need of some state protection from out of state drivers. New Jersey currently has no regulation on who the rideshare companies dispatch to calls in New Jersey. If, for example, a New York driver is in New Jersey, Uber will dispatch him to pick up calls in New Jersey.

This led to a flood of New York City Taxi & Limousine (NYTLC) licensed drivers in Northern New Jersey. They are easily identifiable by the New York plates which begin with a 'T' and end with a 'C'. They also have the identifier T&LC on the bottom of the plate. Initially New York drivers would do pickups in New Jersey only after being first being dispatched to calls here. Then, after realizing the New Jersey market is easier to drive than the streets of Manhattan, NYTLC drivers began just coming straight to New Jersey to drive. If you go to the rideshare lot at Newark Airport 90% of the cars in the lot are NYTLC. Now, to make matters worse, drivers from New York and Pennsylvania are simply registering as drivers with Uber New Jersey and picking up fares here without even going through the process of getting a T&LC license.

What makes this issue especially egregious is that New Jersey drivers are not allowed to pick up fares in New York City; that's reserved for drivers NYTLC licensees. This includes LaGuardia and JFK Airports, which are run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. NYTLC has declared that since LaGuardia and JFK are physically within the borders of NYC, they are within their jurisdiction. The rideshare companies are obeying this ruling and will not dispatch anybody but NYTLC licensed drivers to calls emanating from those airports.

If a New Jersey rideshare driver gets dispatched from New Jersey to either airport in New York, he then must return to New Jersey empty, losing time, money and tolls. Rideshare companies will not even dispatch New Jersey drivers from these airports to destinations in New Jersey. At the very minimum, since the Port Authority is a bistate agency, New Jersey drivers should be allowed to pickup return fares to New Jersey. If the Port Authority and NYTLC refuse to comply with this New York drivers should similarly be banned from pickups at Newark Airport.

Either way it is patently unfair that New York rideshare drivers should be allowed to flood the streets and transit centers of New Jersey while New Jersey drivers are completely banned from New York. I look to you, as our elected representative to do something to protect us.

See less See more
#5 ·
They can't do the latter, by law. They already give the NYC trips to TLC drivers first, so long as they are "reasonably" close. If you're in the lot as a NJ driver and there are TLCs there and you get a NYC trip, it's because they blocked X requests (if they are XI or Black), they are offline trying to push surge, or they rejected the ping for whatever reason.

#15 ·
Leach shaming? Really?
I see TLC's in Ocean County, at least an hour from NYC, and Uber isn't giving illegal NY fares to us. Short of a terrorist event involving an illegal TLC Uber in NJ, your bunched up panties are unnecessary but thanks for contributing to the NJ forum.

TLC Drivers are Dreamers too !
I think you meant "TLC Drivers are Dreamers poo!"

they do not offer the minimum required to operate in NJ
Aren't the fares in NJ still covered by Uber & Lyft insurance?

#7 ·
Are you contributing to their campaign?
Expect you letter to go into the round file. This is the Sopranos state remember that. TK understood and paid his tribute to operate at the airport so they would stop paying for impound fees and tickets for numbskulls picking up nickels in front of a steam roller.
Unless your saying something with some check attached or a brown bag then it's the same as when a tree falls in the forest and does it make a sound if there is no one there ?
By textbook definition a sound is when it is picked up by a receiver of said sound.
Letter with no money -NEXT

#8 ·
Saying this being as a NYTLC driver shame on you! Have you ever counted OL plated cars in streets and airports of NYC?
Wow! I can't even believe you went there. Rather than argue the point, let's just settle it with a bet. We'll go to LaGuardia Airport for three hours. I'll even let you pick the date and time. Then I'll give you a dollar for every NJOL car we see in the rideshare lot when we get there and every one that enters the lot for the three hours. After that we'll go to Newark Airport and do the same thing, only this time you give me a dollar for every NYTLC car. When do you want to go?

They can't do the latter, by law. They already give the NYC trips to TLC drivers first, so long as they are "reasonably" close. If you're in the lot as a NJ driver and there are TLCs there and you get a NYC trip, it's because they blocked X requests (if they are XI or Black), they are offline trying to push surge, or they rejected the ping for whatever reason.
I think you're missing my point. First, the law says only NYTLC drivers can pick up in NYC, however, I'm saying because the airports are PANYNJ, technically they're not in the jurisdiction of NYC, and by default not the jurisdiction of the TLC. There are no NYPD cops at the airports because it's PAPD jurisdiction. The same should apply to the TLC. The problem is nobody has ever challenged them before because until rideshare came along nobody cared. Now WE care and we should challenge it.
Second, if it was determined that TLC does have jurisdiction and NYC law does protect the NYC drivers we should be pressing OUR legislators to pass laws here to protect us.

Remind them also that most NY residents who drive in NJ and earn money in NJ pay Taxes in NY. Money is all these politicians understand, let them know that NJ is losing millions of dollars in taxes by allowing NY to work Tax Free in NJ.
On the same point, not only are the NY drivers taking their income (and income tax) to NY, they're taking income (and income tax) away from New Jerseyans.

Are you contributing to their campaign?
Expect you letter to go into the round file. This is the Sopranos state remember that. TK understood and paid his tribute to operate at the airport so they would stop paying for impound fees and tickets for numbskulls picking up nickels in front of a steam roller.
Unless your saying something with some check attached or a brown bag then it's the same as when a tree falls in the forest and does it make a sound if there is no one there ?
By textbook definition a sound is when it is picked up by a receiver of said sound.
Letter with no money -NEXT
There IS money attached, and that's something that needs to be driven home to the legislators. New York drivers are taking money from New Jersey drivers, which means New Jersey is losing money. Something else politicians need more than money is votes and something New Jersey voters will always get up in arms about is when they think New Yorkers are getting over on them. Any you're right, it will go in the circular file - if I'm the only person who care enough to do something. If you guys are happy to have those NY drivers take YOUR money, then sure give up, say nothign will happen and do nothing. But don't complain when you're sitting in an empty car in a parking lot and you see a NYTLC car go by with a fare in the back seat.

#12 ·
You are missing the biggest issue. If you really want to get your representi attention, make sure to mention that it is ILLEGAL for NYC TLC vehilces to operate in NJ under current laws. There is no exception in the For-Hire law for NJ that allows out-of-state for hire vehicles to do return trips, therefore they cannot legally pickup in NJ!

Second point: They do not have enough insurance to operate in NJ. There are only 2-3 insurance companies that provide insurance for NYC TLC, offering ($300k OR $1million)...they do not offer the minimum required to operate in NJ (1$1.5 million)

Third point: NYC will never allow personal vehicles to operate as for-hire, so there will never be the ability to get a return trip as a "rideshare driver"...however NYC law has an exemption for Out-Of-State For-Vehicles (the OL plates your referred to above). The exemption clearly states that any for hire vehicle can pickup if returning to the area they are legally registered to operate. (Again, this is a written law in NY, but not NJ). This being said, Uber doesn't allow NJ OL plates to pickup in NY and return unless they have the TLC stickers.

Reactions: Mr. Taxi
#14 ·
I have not got a nyc or ny state ping in over 300 rides. On the uber non ping list for the city, state & Island.
I got one today and one yesterday. Won't go, why should I? Especially at rush hour, 90 minutes back empty, no thank you.
You are missing the biggest issue. If you really want to get your representi attention, make sure to mention that it is ILLEGAL for NYC TLC vehilces to operate in NJ under current laws. There is no exception in the For-Hire law for NJ that allows out-of-state for hire vehicles to do return trips, therefore they cannot legally pickup in NJ!

Second point: They do not have enough insurance to operate in NJ. There are only 2-3 insurance companies that provide insurance for NYC TLC, offering ($300k OR $1million)...they do not offer the minimum required to operate in NJ (1$1.5 million)

Third point: NYC will never allow personal vehicles to operate as for-hire, so there will never be the ability to get a return trip as a "rideshare driver"...however NYC law has an exemption for Out-Of-State For-Vehicles (the OL plates your referred to above). The exemption clearly states that any for hire vehicle can pickup if returning to the area they are legally registered to operate. (Again, this is a written law in NY, but not NJ). This being said, Uber doesn't allow NJ OL plates to pickup in NY and return unless they have the TLC stickers.
Wait, you day it's illegal under CURRENT law? Here in New Jersey? If that's the case Uber shouldn't be dispatching drivers here. After all, their reasoning for not giving us returns from LGA and JFK is its illegal! Do you know the exact statute? If the law actually exists there should be a statute number...

#16 ·
It surprises me how many people claim to know so much about the law, if you are so knowledgeable go take the bar exam and become a lawyer.
Uber already has an army of lawyers and they won’t allow themselves to be catch breaking the law in such manner so whatever you think you know Uber and Lyft already know it inside, outside, backwards and doggie styled.
Plus like another member mentioned they don’t care who picks up Peter and his family at the airport, it could be anyone from Pennsylvania, NY, NJ, DE, etc. As long as someone does and they get their cut they are okay with it.

#17 ·
Leach shaming? Really?
I see TLC's in Ocean County, at least an hour from NYC, and Uber isn't giving illegal NY fares to us. Short of a terrorist event involving an illegal TLC Uber in NJ, your bunched up panties are unnecessary but thanks for contributing to the NJ forum.

I think you meant "TLC Drivers are Dreamers poo!"

Aren't the fares in NJ still covered by Uber & Lyft insurance?
And THIS is the exact attitude why we have NYTLC drivers all over our state, stealing OUR money. I use as my example TLC in Hudson and Essex and this clown says "Hey, we have them in Ocean too, what are you complaining about". The point is they shouldn't be ANYWHERE in the state!!! Hudson, Ocean, friggin Cape May!!! If the TLC even HINTED they were going to let NJ drivers take returns from LGA and JFK you can be guaranteed there'd be a couple of thousand TLC drivers on the steps of City Hall tomorrow, followed by using their cars to block traffic. Here in NJ, we already have their drivers here, literally stealing our money and it's "hey, waddayagonnado?" That why every Friday and Saturday night, every Sunday afternoon, every time it friggin rains the whole island of Manhattan and all of south Brooklyn turn into bright, red blazing suns of surge, while here in NJ if we get even a glimmer of a surge it gets extinguished within minutes BY OUT OF STATE DRIVERS!!! How many of you actually took the 2-3 minutes it would take to write your representatives? Did you Zarghaam??? You can take the time to criticize somebody trying to make YOU more money, but actually take a couple of minutes to do something about it might be a little too much effort, right?

It surprises me how many people claim to know so much about the law, if you are so knowledgeable go take the bar exam and become a lawyer.
Uber already has an army of lawyers and they won't allow themselves to be catch breaking the law in such manner so whatever you think you know Uber and Lyft already know it inside, outside, backwards and doggie styled.
Plus like another member mentioned they don't care who picks up Peter and his family at the airport, it could be anyone from Pennsylvania, NY, NJ, DE, etc. As long as someone does and they get their cut they are okay with it.
What's your point? Did you write your representative or not?

#18 ·
And THIS is the exact attitude why we have NYTLC drivers all over our state, stealing OUR money. I use as my example TLC in Hudson and Essex and this clown says "Hey, we have them in Ocean too, what are you complaining about". The point is they shouldn't be ANYWHERE in the state!!! Hudson, Ocean, friggin Cape May!!! If the TLC even HINTED they were going to let NJ drivers take returns from LGA and JFK you can be guaranteed there'd be a couple of thousand TLC drivers on the steps of City Hall tomorrow, followed by using their cars to block traffic. Here in NJ, we already have their drivers here, literally stealing our money and it's "hey, waddayagonnado?" That why every Friday and Saturday night, every Sunday afternoon, every time it friggin rains the whole island of Manhattan and all of south Brooklyn turn into bright, red blazing suns of surge, while here in NJ if we get even a glimmer of a surge it gets extinguished within minutes BY OUT OF STATE DRIVERS!!! How many of you actually took the 2-3 minutes it would take to write your representatives? Did you Zarghaam??? You can take the time to criticize somebody trying to make YOU more money, but actually take a couple of minutes to do something about it might be a little too much effort, right?

What's your point? Did you write your representative or not?
DTS there is a crew that is called the "tackless strip brigade." Coincidentally, whenever they see a parked car with TLC plates there mysteriously happens to be a few carpet strips fall out of the sky right near the TLC car's tires. Primitive, but effective.

#19 ·
this clown says "Hey, we have them in Ocean too, what are you complaining about".
So a NEWBIE comes on to a forum and insults someone who agrees with him, at least about the problem. Brilliant strategy.

TLC in Ocean County was an observation, just like how obtuse you are and I'll clarify why. You are not the first, fifth or even tenth person who has brought this subject up on Uberpeople, but you come on to the forum and post like it is either an original thought or like you are so much more articulate than the ten other people who have posted about this subject. Either way, DUHHHH !

But hey, maybe everyone in this forum will say " Let's follow this New Guy with unoriginal ideas!" And let's say you get half of the members of Uberpeople to send letters. Great! But what about the other 98 to 99% of the NJ drivers who aren't? The legislature knows approximately how many drivers there are, so are you going to buy radio ads?

Maybe I am a clown but not in this case and your actions don't tend to inspire people (the sphincter that feces tumbles out of comes to mind). But keep posting and reading and maybe you'll learn something; I'm not optimistic.

#20 ·
TLC can only accept rides going to NYC which is NJ drivers don't want that.
We are not stealing your money, we don't want to drive NJ rate. When you have high late night surge in EWR, TLC have their own queue, it probably 100+ TLC car waiting but NJ plate only a few. I assume you don't want to wait for few hours in LGA to get your fare back to NJ.

#23 ·
I might not agree with your position but at least you are trying to do something to improve your lot as an Uber driver in NJ. Nobody on this board does anything to make things better for themselves except piss and moan and whine. So, good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.