Do Not Wait 5 Minutes to Get Cancellation Fee

Durhamite

EDIT (9/2/17): It's a bug in the app. If you're having this issue, then take a screenshot before cancelling to show that you waited the requisite amount of time. Then report a problem with the fare and show them the screenshot. There is a potential delay in their tracking of your time on target. If you show them the proof that you waited 5 minutes, they will adjust the fare.

Uber claims that if you wait for a passenger for 5 minutes once you have arrived, and the customer does not show up, you can then cancel and receive a fee. This is blatantly fraudulent. You will receive nothing. If you think the ride itself is worth waiting for, then by all means, do it. If you are doing it thinking you will be compensated for your time as promised, then don't bother.

Also, if anyone else has experienced this and is organizing a class action suit, then please contact me. This has been an ongoing problem for me, and I'm tired of being screwed by these people.

Last edited:

autofill

Problem is if you don't wait 5 minutes and cancel, Uber will deactivate you for cancelling too many rides. Bend over and slave away.

chitown73

I don't get it. I always get my 3.75.
3.60 for XL which is very odd that it's less. But that's for another thread.
But I get something.

Are you doing something wrong or am I doing something right?
Same here... I've had to cancel plenty of rides when pax don't show up and/or don't answer texts or calls. I usually end up canceling just after 5mins and have always gotten the cancelation fee.

Durhamite

I wait a few seconds after it turns red, take a screen shot ( more proof) then cancel, make sure you hit "rider no show" I've always got paid.
Yes. This is what you have to do. Just goes to show. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by mere incompetence. My bad.

Ardery

EDIT (9/2/17): It's a bug in the app. If you're having this issue, then take a screenshot before cancelling to show that you waited the requisite amount of time. Then report a problem with the fare and show them the screenshot. There is a potential delay in their tracking of your time on target. If you show them the proof that you waited 5 minutes, they will adjust the fare.

Uber claims that if you wait for a passenger for 5 minutes once you have arrived, and the customer does not show up, you can then cancel and receive a fee. This is blatantly fraudulent. You will receive nothing. If you think the ride itself is worth waiting for, then by all means, do it. If you are doing it thinking you will be compensated for your time as promised, then don't bother.

Also, if anyone else has experienced this and is organizing a class action suit, then please contact me. This has been an ongoing problem for me, and I'm tired of being screwed by these people.
I've never had this problem ever in the 5 months I've been driving.

wst1459

I am new to Uber - about 1 month - and wait for the 5 minutes before I cancel if its a total no show. But I have noticed I don't always get the fee and have to ask for it, but than Uber has always come through thus far and posted it to me.

Jamez400

I have been getting 3.75 when i drove to the actual the spot and They cancel on me like last night at a hotel.
Normally I have gotten 3.75 on a few times waiting til Its Telling Me I Can cancel.

Rakos

You know when I arrive...

The app turns on the timer...

At two minutes...

I have been getting paid...

For the wait time...

Rakos

Reactions: MHR

Julescase

Always take a screenshot at the start of your waiting, then when the "It's been 5 minutes do you want to continue waiting?" question pops up. THEN cancel, you have all the proof you need. This has happened to me where Uber doesn't pay the cancellation fee and I have to write to them and let them know I have screenshots of the entire passage of time, I've always been paid after that. They're shady as @@@@ so just cover your ass at every turn.