1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do Not UBER with one of These Phones !

Discussion in 'Advice' started by tohunt4me, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smart phones recalled by Samsung,and U.S.Federal Govt.
    If you have not heard,contact your dealer.It is advisable to shut the phones off at once.

Attached Files:

DocT and Gung-Ho like this.
  2. This is a hazard to human life,public safety,personal property.
    You do NOT want your phone setting a fire while traveling 70 M.P.H. on interstate with passengers !
    100% percent serious and real hazard.
    please do not bring this phone on commercial or private aircraft either.
    Due to the nature of our hours as drivers,I will not assume everyone has heard of this yet.
    We all use phones as a key tool in our work,I hope yours is not this model.

DocT and rembrandt like this.
  3. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks for the heads up. Good job.

Imagine a technological marvel like a smart phone could have a malfunction that could cause the user serious injury or death.

Next imagine what havoc a self driving car with a malfunction could cause.:(

tohunt4me and backstreets-trans like this.
  4. Beur

Beur

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Uber will deactivate you for causing serious harm to passengers.

tohunt4me likes this.

5. not like a human driver has never caused an accident. :rolleyes:

a computer can't drink and drive. a computer can't text and drive. a computer can multi-task. a computer won't lose its vision or depth perception. reaction time for a computer would be more consistent and predictable. a computer wouldn't over or undercompensate. a computer doesn't have road rage. need i go on?

6. Digits

Digits

Driving:
    UberX
    IMG_1602.JPG The tried and tested way to avoid the phone exploding. Keep an eye as it silently bubbles when it pings.

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. I agree 100%.
    If a smart phone still can not be managed properly enough by its creators to be trusted for safety with the public,how will a self driving car perform ?
    This is a major Technology Issue !

Digits likes this.
  8. Something as small as this burning cars& homes.
    The computers of the self driving cars must be WATER COOLED !

9. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho

Driving:
    UberX
    If you want to compare a computer to a human then...A female computer doesn't look pretty in a little black dress. A computer can't give you an orgasm..etc.

But seriously. Not every human driver has accidents. Not every human engages in the reckless activities you mention when they are behind the wheel. The idiots that do those things should never be allowed to drive. Sometimes accidents are caused by brake failure or accelerator issues or weather conditions or road conditions or malfunctioning traffic lights. Cars are mechanical machines...they can malfunction. Computers can crash.

Ask yourself this. Would you feel better with a steering wheel in your hand while in the process of trying to avoid an accident or would you rather be sitting in the back seat trusting a computer to decide your fate?

tohunt4me likes this.
  10. The time . . . it is later than you think.
    The rich dont even need us for " recreation" any longer . . .

Attached Files:

DocT likes this.
  11. We rely on autopilots for the majority of a flight 30,000 feet in the air going 500mph and it's statistically and proportionately safer than driving with humans behind the wheel of a car.

Secondly, yes I agree there can be mechanical failures amidst all the moving machinery within a vehicle. But there's data to support that 90% of car crashes can be attributed to human error. If you need a source, I can list plenty. Or you can just google it yourself.

The margin of error with a human's judgement, decision-making, reaction time and general skill sets around driving are greater than that of a computer. In less time than it takes to train/teach a human a particular behavior, you can program a computer to account for more variables in a fraction of the time; also it can be re-programmed. A human? we're creatures of habit and once we learn a certain way of doing something and do it repetitively, it's not as easy to break that as opposed to typing in a few lines of code into a program or updating the software on a computer in minutes if not less.

I mean, how much training is involved before we put a human behind the wheel? hours? days? is that really adequate?

\end rant

12. I think it just adds to the excitement of Ubering.

13. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho

Driving:
    UberX
    Another analogy that is less appropriate to this topic other than the horse and buggy to car comparison is the airplane auto pilot one. A plane on auto pilot at 30,000 feet doesn't encounter much traffic in the sky. There are no air intersections where one plane has to yield to another at a flashing yellow. Auto pilots do not land or take off which is by far the most complex operation of a plane. And let's not forget the HUMAN air traffic controllers on the ground who prevent planes from infringing on others airspace by adjusting direction and altitude.

And I think you are way ahead of yourself with a computers ability. True they can make many calculations in a fraction of a second. But that doesn't mean they have intuition or instinct to interpret shadowy unknown phenomenon.

Imagine and empty cardboard box blowing across a highway a human would deduce it wasn't a threat, a computer who knows.

14. Lowestformofwit

Lowestformofwit

Driving:
    Livery
    YES: It's the third dimension in decision making:
    Computer: YES/NO.
    Human: YES/NO/WORTH THE GAMBLE.
    Do yourself a favour (if you haven't already), and see Tom Hanks in "Sully", to see third dimension thinking in action.