DO NOT DRIVE ON MAY 8 - STRIKE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyster

7 cities.. including us.. are going on strike on May 8. 12 hour protest. I won't drive. Sends a message.

UbeRoBo

Kudos to every driver who participates in this. Anyone who goes out and drives on May 8th should be ashamed of themselves. The drivers have the power to make positive changes. Shame on anyone who doesn't participate in this widely organized job action. Spread the word and don't be a scab.

Michael77

I gave up a 100,000 dollar a year job at NWA by not crossing the picket line problem is people are scabs. 1000s of them and they will drive

UbeRoBo

I gave up a 100,000 dollar a year job at NWA by not crossing the picket line problem is people are scabs. 1000s of them and they will drive
Sorry to hear that Michael. The NWA mechanics got screwed and you guys/gals have my upmost respect for standing your ground. Many sell outs have already outed themselves here and they will be the 1st to go out and take advantage of less crowded streets on May 8th. I too have struck and walked several picket lines including informational picketing as well. Pathetic to even think about it because they are going to scab themselves over a minimum wage job with zero benefits not worth fighting over. You on the other hand had a lot of lose and still fought the good fight. Kudos to you Michael77 !!! The drivers clearly have the power to make change but most are too obtuse and oblivious to realize that and will continue to drive for TNC no matter how ridiculously low the terms and rates go. They have already proven that here with rates at $0.60 per mile.

BillC

I absolutely will not drive on May 8, because I have a day job and don't drive weeknights unless there are extremely special circumstances (like a blizzard causing 4-5X surge.....which will never happen again).

I'll be happy to inadvertently take part in this strike since I wouldn't drive anyway. But, if it were a Friday or Saturday night? @@@@ unions and strikes. Bill collectors don't give a shit about your union sympathies. I'd be the biggest scab in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

miclavd

How is word going to get out to the hundreds of other drivers that don’t troll this page? Maybe have someone handout flyers at the MSP lot?

Merc Man

Sv
I don’t normally drive on Wednesdays, but since I know no one else will be out driving I will take advantage of the opportunity
Good job. Take care of #1. Selfishness is why we are paid so little. Keep focused on the short game and your pay will get even worse.

Slyster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I won't be driving.. and I usually do from Stillwater to home for a few hours. But man.. how tiny tiny of a percentage of drivers are in the know. It will probably be a typical day with no lack of supply :frown:

YukonDew

Good job. Take care of #1. Selfishness is why we are paid so little. Keep focused on the short game and your pay will get even worse.
Isn't the purpose of your "strike" to improve your own financial position by asking others to give up wages to add credibility to your negotiating power? You, my friend, are not a credible witness to call out someone else for being "selfish".

I will let you in on a well-known secret. There is no "Long Game" for rideshare driving. If you really want to be a professional driver in 5 or 10 years, then build a limo service, drive a city bus, or take up parcel delivery. Uber and Lyft are not going to raise pay and expect nothing in return. What will you be offering them in exchange for the privilege of you choosing to drive whenever you want for as long as you want? The fact of the matter is that both platforms do not really have trouble filling drivers’ seats. So, you are welcome to strike all you want, Lyft and Uber don’t care. While you “strike” there are lots of other people signing up each week to take your place – at least for a few months until they get tired of it.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Uber drivers striking, ya whatever, I could go either way on that one. I probably won't drive just because I don't drive on Wednesdays anyway.

But about the $100,000 job as an airline mechanic: I kind of don't agree with that, and here's why.

I have two bachelor's degrees, one in a very difficult subject that weeds people out, and also an MBA. I have made several career moves over the past 15-20 years (admittedly some better than others) to get where I am today, and I'm still making less than $100k. I have had to "pay my dues" so to speak by working crap jobs for years before attaining more desirable positions. It has taken a lot of effort, and I've never had a union to represent me.

I'm not trying to be too critical of unions here -- we can discuss separately, and I'm not trying to rag on being a mechanic as I'm sure it's an honorable professional which requires quite a bit of technical competence and training as well as physical challenges, but it seems a bit lop-sided that they can make more than someone in my field.

Here's my rhetorical question:. If someone can make $100k as a mechanic, what incentive do people have to seek secondary education in technical fields? Yes, it can be fun and interesting, but quite often I wanted to do other things with my time and money.

UbeRoBo

Uber drivers striking, ya whatever, I could go either way on that one. I probably won't drive just because I don't drive on Wednesdays anyway.

But about the $100,000 job as an airline mechanic: I kind of don't agree with that, and here's why.

I have two bachelor's degrees, one in a very difficult subject that weeds people out, and also an MBA. I have made several career moves over the past 15-20 years (admittedly some better than others) to get where I am today, and I'm still making less than $100k. I have had to "pay my dues" so to speak by working crap jobs for years before attaining more desirable positions. It has taken a lot of effort, and I've never had a union to represent me.

I'm not trying to be too critical of unions here -- we can discuss separately, and I'm not trying to rag on being a mechanic as I'm sure it's an honorable professional which requires quite a bit of technical competence and training as well as physical challenges, but it seems a bit lop-sided that they can make more than someone in my field.

Here's my rhetorical question:. If someone can make $100k as a mechanic, what incentive do people have to seek secondary education in technical fields? Yes, it can be fun and interesting, but quite often I wanted to do other things with my time and money.
Aircraft mechanics are in high demand and it's a very highly skilled position. Heck, Delta has Flight Attendants making over 100K. Aircraft mechanics deserve every penny of that 100K job. What are your degrees in, MadTown?

Mspswede

It's not a drivers' union so it's not a strike and those who work are not scabs. You and I signed up to drive knowing that we were independent contractors with no guarantee of earnings or benefits. If you don't like the net earnings, change your vehicle expenses or quit and do other work. I might or might not drive on May 8th, and it will be my own choice.

UbeRoBo

It's not a drivers' union so it's not a strike and those who work are not scabs. You and I signed up to drive knowing that we were independent contractors with no guarantee of earnings or benefits. If you don't like the net earnings, change your vehicle expenses or quit and do other work. I might or might not drive on May 8th, and it will be my own choice.
Yeah, I hear ya, but I consider the principal the same. It's an organized job action in order to make a stand for better wages and benefits. TNC keeps craping on you guys because they know they can. The drivers hold the power to make some positive changes and if there is an organized effort to make that happen then anyone who is not onboard with it is no better than a scab in a strike.

YukonDew

Yeah, I hear ya, but I consider the principal the same. It's an organized job action in order to make a stand for better wages and benefits. TNC keeps craping on you guys because they know they can. The drivers hold the power to make some positive changes and if there is an organized effort to make that happen then anyone who is not onboard with it is no better than a scab in a strike.
No. It is not the same.

A union member makes a choice when they join or vote a union in. Part of that choice includes a commitment to participate in collective bargaining using the structure that has been established and the tools available to the union. That is part of the “deal” they make to receive the wages and benefits agreed upon by management and union negotiators.

I have agreed to no such thing. Have you? Of course not, so neither one of us has any real compulsion to take either side on the 8th.

What is happening on the 8th is a handful of folks promoting an event that looks nothing like a union action. You are certainly free to do as you wish on the 8th, but I will not be changing my routine. At least not to support a vague list 4 of demands crafted by a small group of self-appointed geniuses from the Washington DC market who think a 12 hour strike will make a meaningful statement. Fact of the matter is, if they or their supporters had real convictions, they would walk off the job entirely and stay off to make their point. But that would take some actual balls -

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Aircraft mechanics are in high demand and it's a very highly skilled position. Heck, Delta has Flight Attendants making over 100K. Aircraft mechanics deserve every penny of that 100K job. What are your degrees in, MadTown?
Chemical Engineering. Try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.