do Nicer Cars get better tips?

Eesoso

I was wondering what motivates tipping. Does the quality of the vehicle and additional comfort features enhance the mood? Or is it the opposite?

steveK2016

When I took uber last week on a company trip, I tipped between $2-5 on every trip. All short trips, except one to the airport.

Mostly tipped based on car. All the drivers were good.

I ordered XL and got an UberSUV suburban. Tipped him $5 on a min XL trip. I ordered X and got a basic car, $2. Ordered another XL and got an UberSUV MKT. Tipped him a $5 too.

None of the drivers really stood out but I got from A to B with no problems, comfortably.

Mutt

I drive a 7 passenger SUV and supply water and snacks and still find that the majority of pax don't tip. I am open to all trips my vehicle is eligible for but I am thinking of giving up pool rides because I have had a few pissed off pax when they are first in and last out and the ride isn't exactly in line. I also find that these pax never tip.

ShinyAndChrome

I am sure it impacts it. I have had some positive comments on single passengers in my minivan who likely expected a small car. Doesn't mean they will tip though.

Funny thing is if I was in a crappy old car as a pax I might think the guy needs a tip whereas if I am in a new car with nice leather I will realize his car deserves the tip but he probably doesn't need the money. In any case since I started driving I know I will give tips (wife took a ride recently and I made sure she tipped).

UberDez

I have driven a lot of different cars on uber and my tips tend to always be better the nicer the car is but it also could be my mood as when I used a rental 2016 Hyundai Elantra it was the worst car I've ever driven and made me miserable driving that gigantic piece of crap (sorry if u have an elantra)

Snowblind

I had a couple of Select Rides yesterday.
One Lady, long Ride, over an hour. Navigation quit, we did fine.
She was pretty quiet throughout the Ride. Tipped me $15.00 in App.

Next, three Executives, loaded with Luggage, to the Airport. Two Males, one Female.
They kept telling me what a nice Uber SUV I have, blah blah...
They discussed a very successful meeting they just had. I got them in time to the Airport,
Loaded and unloaded eight (8) pieces of luggage.
Result: 5 Stars.
NO TIP. They were from Utah. I guess they are punished enough.

:mad:

Uber_Yota_916

I was wondering what motivates tipping. Does the quality of the vehicle and additional comfort features enhance the mood? Or is it the opposite?
A clean car and a drivers personality effect tips. The age of the car doesn't matter imo.

Reactions: MHR

USMCX

It's the rapport you develop with the pax. A good conversation goes a long way to tips

Coachman

Funny thing is if I was in a crappy old car as a pax I might think the guy needs a tip whereas if I am in a new car with nice leather I will realize his car deserves the tip but he probably doesn't need the money.

To the contrary, the guy with the nice car has the big payment to make on the 15th of every month!

Doowop

I had a couple of Select Rides yesterday.
One Lady, long Ride, over an hour. Navigation quit, we did fine.
She was pretty quiet throughout the Ride. Tipped me $15.00 in App.

Next, three Executives, loaded with Luggage, to the Airport. Two Males, one Female.
They kept telling me what a nice Uber SUV I have, blah blah...
They discussed a very successful meeting they just had. I got them in time to the Airport,
Loaded and unloaded eight (8) pieces of luggage.
Result: 5 Stars.
NO TIP. They were from Utah. I guess they are punished enough.

:mad:
I had similar. 3 football sized guys. Im an older guy. Pax' never lifted a finger. I humped all luggage to and at Airport. Not a nickel. Scum

POOLKiller

I drive a 7 passenger SUV and supply water and snacks and still find that the majority of pax don't tip. I am open to all trips my vehicle is eligible for but I am thinking of giving up pool rides because I have had a few pissed off pax when they are first in and last out and the ride isn't exactly in line. I also find that these pax never tip.

Please, please STOP giving stuff to these cheap asses.

backcountryrez

Two airport runs last week, picked up both within close proximity to where I live (one mile) and drove about 20 miles for each pax.

1) Drove in a 2008 G35 (used Lyft) - received $15 tip.
2) Drove in a Tesla Model S (used Uber) - received $10 tip.

aside from the idea of it being silly to drive these kinds of cars for rideshare, I believe it's more the quality of service as opposed to the kind of car.

UberDez

Two airport runs last week, picked up both within close proximity to where I live (one mile) and drove about 20 miles for each pax.

1) Drove in a 2008 G35 (used Lyft) - received $15 tip.
2) Drove in a Tesla Model S (used Uber) - received $10 tip.

aside from the idea of it being silly to drive these kinds of cars for rideshare, I believe it's more the quality of service as opposed to the kind of car.

Both nice cars and u got a tip on both. So you kind of prove the point that nicer cars do get more tips

backcountryrez

i've also given rides in these cars and have received no tip, so there are just other factors involved i cannot explain.

MHR

Listened to a couple talk about how they told their son to be sure and tip the pizza guy $5 for his scheduled delivery.

I on the other hand got $1 for taking them to the airport.

They loved my van and we had great conversation. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to when or how much people tip.

backcountryrez

My theory is that people don't understand the compensation model of these businesses and just assume we take home a majority of what we earn and pay U/L a minor amount to use their brand or trade dress. Therefore, tips not needed (they assume).