• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do most drivers accept every ping?

Lovelife

I'm talking drivers in general, not just this forum. Most of the drivers I've encountered IRL didn't seem as savvy as the ones here. Do you think most of them just turn on their apps and accept everything that comes their way?
[/QUOTi
I did when I first started. I don't accept a long ping unless it's 45+ minutes. I won't drive no more than 8 minute ping for regular ride. I was a lot more selective when I had uber pro.

pizzaladee

Great question and one I’ve pondered myself. I think the answer is yes, most drivers accept every ping. I am not one of those people. Even before I found this forum I declined most pings.

I have a friend who drives infrequently. He complained that his Lyft rating was close to deactivation. He also complained about being sucked into the hood and driving around there all night. I think he felt obliged to accept everything. I told him to drop off and get the hell outta there.

His rating has made quite a rebound.

waldowainthrop

I met a new driver who accepted only 75%. He wanted to avoid a particular spot so he kept declining instead of repositioning. He seemed to want access to Uber Pro ride intel pretty badly but said he found it impossible to get and maintain 85%. The spot he was avoiding is a military base he doesn’t have access to, which is legitimate, but it’s definitely possible to sit outside the range of its pickups and get to 90% or so.

Other drivers here appear to accept almost anything. I do get access to pings that other drivers have clearly avoided, so all people here are definitely not at 100%. Market is Colorado Springs and Denver.

I am at 86-90% for the Uber Pro information and because declining 20%+ seems like a losing game in my market on many days. I could easily imagine accepting only 50% in Denver, however.

Johnny Mnemonic

I'm talking drivers in general, not just this forum. Most of the drivers I've encountered IRL didn't seem as savvy as the ones here. Do you think most of them just turn on their apps and accept everything that comes their way?
This is the first post on uberpeople that actually made me feel flattered!

51Wc6-vNCAL._SX425_.jpg

I can't speak for other drivers, but I can say I have a 54% acceptance rate right now. Yes, if I had to guess (and I can only guess), I'd say half of all drivers just take whatever ping they get and don't even bother to look at what little information is offered to them.

I actually have lot of respect for the work ethic of the immigrant drivers who come here and work their tails off.

That being said, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Last edited:

James012

If it says premium pick up possible/likely I won’t take it and if it’s a 45 minute plus ride I Absolutely won’t take it. My acceptance rate is 91% but I also only do it 2 nights a week usually Thursday And Saturday so it’s a lot of dinner and bar drop offs. Anything that’s 45 minutes plus is always nyc or an airport and I’m not getting stuck with the toll and dead miles back.

Coachman

I accept most pings.

I've asked numerous times on this forum, for those drivers who say they decline many or most pings, how they know which pings are good and which are bad? Besides the "it's a 10+ minute pickup" or "it's behind me" I rarely get a good answer. Some will say "I only accept airport rides" and I'm like WTF? How do you know it's an airport ride? And how much dead time do you have sitting around waiting for that airport ride?

So for those who can discern between a good ride and a bad ride, who don't have Uber Pro, let me know what your secret is.

mrpjfresh

I think some drivers literally think they have to or they'll be in "trouble". I've literally read and heard this over and over throughout the years. What that trouble is in their minds, I do not know. Same driver who would take a stumbling drunk with puke on their shirt. I can't blame them as they aren't exactly trained or anything. One thing I am certain about is that it never lasts. They get bamboozled into driving 25 minutes for a minimum fare, get an expensive ticket for breaking a law, 1 stared for no reason by a worthless paxhole who should be walking, whatever. The idealism bubble pops and they adapt. Or they don't and join the 96%.

GreatWhiteHope

I accept most pings.

I've asked numerous times on this forum, for those drivers who say they decline many or most pings, how they know which pings are good and which are bad? Besides the "it's a 10+ minute pickup" or "it's behind me" I rarely get a good answer. Some will say "I only accept airport rides" and I'm like WTF? How do you know it's an airport ride? And how much dead time do you have sitting around waiting for that airport ride?

So for those who can discern between a good ride and a bad ride, who don't have Uber Pro, let me know what your secret is.
Like if I’m in a certain area at a certain time of the day - I’m only taking 45+

it’s highly situational

waldowainthrop

I accept most pings.

I think some drivers don’t know what they are missing. Selectivity can go too far.

I got a 4.71 today and he was easily one of the best riders I’ve ever driven, and tipped generously. I took the risk on a slow morning and I am pretty sure that two or three other drivers passed on it before I took it. 4.7 is something I normally don’t prefer to take a risk on but the location and distance were good and the ride was as good as it gets on a slow weekday morning.

Why did he have a 4.71? Probably bigotry since he was an outstanding person.

ANT 7

Yes, I believe they do. I've had lots of rides as an Uber pax, and the majority of the driver's I talk to are clueless about the semantics of rideshare, that we discuss here on a daily basis. Most do not even know there is a pax rating visible in the ping for example......LOL.

Someone is accepting those 25 minute pickup pings that I ignore.